Cultivated Reef

Most cost effective nutrient export?

chasehoppy

chasehoppy

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm in the first few weeks of setting up my 32g LED biocube. The plan for this tank is a mixed LPS tank which I can eventually stock with SPS. Im currently wrapping up my cycle.

My plan is to do weekly 20% water changes. Im hoping to get away with this for a while for keeping all salts stable before getting into dosing. My question is regarding any thoughts or ideas on a cost effective means of consistent and stable nutrient export. My LFS was not very helpful with this...... This one dude had no clue what a coral dip was. 

What Ive considered so far is a DIY chaeto reactor, an intank-style refugium basket, or a gfo reactor. So far Im leaning towards a chaeto reactor- but it would need to be housed below the tank in the cabinet. 

Does anyone have experience with a chaeto reactor or the like? Im concerned about the small water volume, leaking my whole tank onto the floor,  and the head pressure from housing under my cabinet.

With the intank basket, it just seems like there is not much light coverage at all. Plus they are expensive. I also like the idea of keeping the back chambers open for a potential skimmer in the future.

Id love to hear yalls feedback and start a discussion.

Thanks a bunch,

Chase

If you want to add/use something in addition to water changes, I guess that is one discussion but my thinking is that the true, most cost-effective method would simply be water changes.  You can do this more than once a week and if you set up a water system (RO, etc.) at home and buy salt in bulk you could "save" even more.  

Nothing wrong with other ideas/methods your proposed, but water changes are definitely the most simple in my opinion.  Part of the hobby is tinkering for sure, so it is understandable why there is a strong market for those products.  

• Like 5

It depends.

Not everyone has a nutrient issue, if anything, they have to prevent low to none existant nutrients.

Others may use reactors, refugiums, algae scrubbers, or macro in the display.

The fastest results for reducing high nutrients is waterchanges.

• Like 3
4Swanson2Reefer0N00b

I don’t even have a reactor I just have a ball of chaeto in my middle chamber using my the tank light and maybe 8 led on a 12 hr timer and my tank is probably too clean.  I find myself over feeding on purpose so nutrients stay up.  I can even neglect water changes but eventually my mineral level and alk will get too low so then I’ll change water but I’ve been lazy lately cause life.  😂

• Like 1
chasehoppy

Thanks for all the feedback!

Bases on these replies, I'll just keep going now as planned with water changes and consider other possible options in the future if so be it. 

I would throw marine pure balls in the first chamber, get rid off all that stuff in middle chamber throw some chaeto in there, and add a cheap red/blue leds on amazon with 8 hr timer. They have 2 12inch aluminum strips for 17 dollars.  You can always use eggcrate and zip ties to custom build your own baskets for chambers.  

I don't use anything but floss on my SPS tank atm. I had a skimmer running but the water was too clean so it has been turned off. I pushed back water changes to every 2 weeks.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to add anything for filtration.

Chaeto is the most cost effective. Throwing some out every couple weeks is much cheaper than making new water.

Water changes help with other elements though.