SaltCritters.com

ID on this weird coral

Lypto

29 minutes ago, Lypto said:

I was watching a dive from Indonesia and there was an interesting coral like organism I saw, can anyone ID it?

weird coral.jpg

I'm gonna go out far on a limb here, but I feel like it's not a coral.  No idea what it is, but I feel like it's not.  

Following along.  Was it a dive you recorded, or found on the internet?

A video on Youtube, 

I was looking for a closer video of the reef as I'm looking to explore some of the smaller and more unnoticed species of the reef, these appeared larger though, about the size of a basketball at 22:10

• Wow 2

I'll ask around to some of the nearby college's marine bio professors and see what they think. It almost appears like a fire anemone that's curled in on itself. I remember seeing something that looked close in the gulf of mexico that later uncurled. but it was bright red with white and translucent tips and could sting pretty hard, but it had more of a stalk or was more often buried in sand (I learned of the stinging after brushing up against it).

So far I think it's not a sponge based on lack of input/output orifices, it also doesn't appear to be colonial, or maybe it is in the same way huge soft corals are. 

Looking closer it almost looks like a very smooth soft coral that's curled in, but the branching structures feel wrong.