Christopher Marks

New Aquarium Journal Thumbnails!

Christopher Marks

Today I rolled out a new feature that adds thumbnails to all topics in the Aquarium Journals forums, you've probably already noticed!

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.28.58 PM.png

Most journals had images available in their first post to help generate the thumbnails shown currently, it usually chooses the first available image in a journal topic. You may find a less ideal image was chosen by default for your journal, or none at all, and wish to change or customize your journal's thumbnail to something better. Setting or updating the thumbnail is as easy as updating your aquarium journal title's, simply edit the very first post in your journal topic. You'll see a new Thumbnail option beneath your journal's title entry field that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.08.45 PM.png

By default it is set to automatically use the first image attached in your topic, but from the dropdown menu you can choose the option to upload a thumbnail of your choosing:

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 4.28.08 PM.png

Or you can alternatively select the 'Remove Thumbnail' option from the menu to set it back to default with no journal image.

I hope everyone enjoys this simple new feature, my hope is to make it easier to discover new aquarium journals in the community to explore!

• Like 12

Sancho

What’s the file size limit? I’ve tried a few and they all seem to be to large 

Christopher Marks

2MB it seems, I'll see if it's possible to increase that. You may need to crop your thumbnail image small, I recommend 120x120 or 240x240 pixels max, but it should also handle larger image sizes up to 2MB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pappadumplingz

Really liking the new site revamp, the modernisation program is really helping to keep the community alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kimdawg

I love the new photo feature.  Thanks for your work on this site.🙏

• Thanks 1

ef4life

I was able to work around the size limit by using the url from the sight that hosts my pictures.

Sancho
12 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I was able to work around the size limit by using the url from the sight that hosts my pictures.

What site? 

ef4life
1 minute ago, Sancho said:

What site? 

I use picturetrail to host pics, I’m sure photobucket or some others would work too.

• Like 1

Christopher Marks
13 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Really liking the new site revamp, the modernisation program is really helping to keep the community alive.

Thanks so much! I'm always working behind the scenes to improve 🙂 

12 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I love the new photo feature.  Thanks for your work on this site.🙏

Glad you're enjoying it! ❤️ 

• Like 2

Ratvan

Great new feature!

• Thanks 1

Christopher Marks

I’ll be working on improvements soon, like allowing for even larger file sizes for easier upload from smartphones. 🤓

• Like 1

This guy is extra salty

👏awesome just awesome 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tamberav

Love everything you have been doing here... Other forums starting to look old and run down now. *Gasp* 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1