Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Buying Coral Online

dpep

I just started my first tank, a 32 biocube. So far I have picked up everything for my tank at my LFS, but I'm looking to broaden the coral diversity. Just wondering if there is anything specific I should look for when ordering from online retailers, and if there are any precautions to take before integrating those corals to the tank

SaltyBuddha

Dip everything you put in your tank. I use CoralRx and a toothbrush to scrub the hell out of the corals I bring home.

Note that the pictures on the majority of the coral sites are over exaggerated for color. They will definitely look different in your tank.

Remember shipping costs are normally a flat rate. Sometimes you can spend $XXX and get free shipping. It can get expensive.

There are tons of online retailers with good reputations. I like AquaSD and my next order will probably go to Worldwide Corals. 

Check out the sponsors on here and keep an eye out for sales or Ebay auctions.

• Like 2

I would recommend that you look on facebook for local reef groups and find local reefers who have auctions on their coral. I have found one that I love and he only charges me $10 for overnight delivery. I have won tons of steals for $10-$15 by participating in auctions and I could easily sell for double or triple the price I pay if I wanted. 

• Like 2