SaltCritters.com

25G Stocking ideas

LuccaCecchini

LuccaCecchini

Hello, first of all sorry for my bad english i am from Argentina. I started in the hobby on january with my first freshwater but i shwitched quickly to saltwater. I have a two months old tank. Its a 25g cube, 45cmx45cm. I have almost 20 pounds of live rock and adited aquaforest bacteria every time i did a water change. At teh moment five frags of coral and one little clown fish are living in it but i want to add another fish.

I would love to have a coral beauty or a lemon peel as my main fish, is this posible in a tank of this size? I think i have a pretty good aquascape that will provide hiding spots.

However, i was thinking it would be better to add another little fish first, but this choice depends on the main fish because if i get a coral beauty I don't want another blue or purple fish, and if i get a lemon peel i don't want another yellow fish.

If any, which one of the dwarf angels do you consider it would be a better choice having in account tank size, coral nipping, comodity, etc?

And what other fish do you suggest me to add first?

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 20.51.26 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-14 at 20.51.26.jpeg

From my understanding any angels wouldn’t be a good fit if you’re doing coral  because most will eat them 

live aquaria.com has info on fish and will tell nearly everything to look for that’s what I’ve been using as a reference if I’m looking into more fish or corals

Cherub or flame back angle would probly be best in a tank that size. Lemon peel and coral beauty are larger and I hear they are a bit more prone to coral nipping than the other two. Cherub and flame back are probly the closest to reef safe of the dwarfs. If you have corals they can be hit or miss. Some will go after LPS and sps so you have to keep an eye on them. I have a cherub that is doing very well in my 20g for about a year now with a pair of clowns. It occasionally nips the food away from the coral to eat but it hasn't actualy harmed any corals. It frequently snacks on one if my macros instead of the algae I try to get it to eat. 😖 If you get an angel I would add it last they are rather territorial. Other fish that like to hide in holes and caves like a pseudochromis, or a goby may compete for hiding spots and fight with it. I think those kinds of fish could be risky to keep together in tank that size with an angle even if it is added last. Another  clown of a diffrent color or pattern. That could work if you want all your fish to be diffrent colors. Other damsel species could posibly work with the angel but you have the clown already and the clown probly would not get along too well with most other damsil In a tank that size. A bright red blood shrimp or a skunk cleaner could also add some color.

Pygmy is only thing I would try. They can be very mean so I wouldn't be adding fish after it. 

I like starkii damsels better. They pretty passive and brigher colored...won't bother corals.

LuccaCecchini

ok i will ask to the company that imports saltwater fish to argentina if cherub or flameback are available here. Half the fish that you can get in first world countries are available here lol. I’ll update on that when i have news.

Would a gobiodon citrinus be ok with the dwarf angel? What about a couple of nemateleotris? 

Both of those being gobies It would probly not get along with either In a small tank. The citrinus tend to perch on and hide in the same kinds of caves the angle would want for its self same with the fire fish. They are also far less agressive the angle would possibly kill them. My cherub imeadiatly went in the same hole with my orchid dotty back when I added it. They started fighting they tore each others fins up. I had to remove the dottyback to another tank. A friend has two dotty backs with an angle in a larger tank. I had thought they may get along being the dotty back was also prety aggressive and being that the angle was added last but in a tank that size it wont turn out well. In larger tanks they should be compatable but in small tanks it can be much more difficult to find compatable species to manage territorial agressions.

Both of the fish you mentioned would be fine with a clown or clowns if you decide not to get the angle.

LuccaCecchini

So what can i put with an angel in a tank of this size?

which fish do you recomend as a main fish for a tank of 25g if not an angel?

I’ts so complicated to plan the livestock of a tank this small, i guess it’s because i’m new at the hobby. Do you have any examples of combinations uses on 25G? 

You already have one clown so let's start with combinations that would be good with that..

1 or 2 clowns and an angel possibly with a shrimp. If you have to have the angle that would be my suggestion.

If you dont get the angel. Fish that are good with a clown or a pair of clowns would include many kinds of smaller gobies like the fire fish you mentioned. Some Dottybacks, Royal gramma, small blennies some small wrass like a Lubbocks fairy wrass are very prety and would do great with a pair of clowns and a gobie of some kind in that tank. There is a long list of fish compatable with clowns that also do well in smaller tanks.

You can also add an interesting shrimp and brightly colored hermit crabs they come in blue red orange striped and white they also come in duller colors as well. I would avoid most crabs other than the hermits even the reef safe ones can be hit or miss.

I just realized my autocorrect keeps changing angel and angle.

LuccaCecchini

Ok i'm back. Today i got a yellow watchman goby.

Acclimatation went good and he's already at the tank, when he entered he said hi to my ocellaris for five seconds and then hide at the back of the aquarium in the middle of some rocks. At my LFS where i bought it they told me they gave him seamonkeys but he would also eat TetraMarine flakes (which i give yo my clownfish). 

For how long should i expect him to hide? Do you think he will eat flakes? How much time is it normal for these fish to stop eating when added to a new aquarium?

Also:   "stop eating when added to"   Is this grammatically correct?