Pod Your Reef

Unknown Something

jservedio

Not really sure what this is - the color in the photo is a little off, it is slightly more orange than this. It is almost exactly the color of a Setosa. It's about 1/4" long and spontaneously popped up. I've seen a few of these before and they stay around for a few days or weeks and than disappear. If you look to the left, you will see one that is on it's way out and the two smaller reddish spots in the circle are on their way in. This is the first one that's been large enough to get some detail.

Any clue at all? My first thought was a sponge of some sort due to it's short lifetime in the tank since algae tends to do very well in my tank and I've never seen an algae this absurdly bright.

unknown-thing.thumb.jpg.40720d52158ae4a34b683345beb09018.jpg

55 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Macro algae of some kind is my guess. Some of the reddish ones flouress a bit under blue lights.

Never saw one that bright. It flouresces more than all my coral and it's the same color as a setosa. Definitely strange.

SaltyBuddha

Red macros can turn really bright when exposed to lots of light. I've had this happen to gracilaria when moved to a higher light system. Kind of like when coralline dies it turns hot pink before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Red macros can turn really bright when exposed to lots of light. I've had this happen to gracilaria when moved to a higher light system. Kind of like when coralline dies it turns hot pink before. 

It's more orange than red like in the picture. I lean toward a branching or filamentous coralline algae than macro, but maybe! Never saw a macro that color before and I've had lots of red macros.

• Like 1