Pod Your Reef

Emerald crab molt and dinoflagentes issue

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt

Hello I turned the lights on in my tank today and found my emerald crab not moving I wanted to get an opinion on if he is dead or just molted as I am new to the saltwater hobby I have also been dealing with dino throughout my tanks lifecycle which is about 3 months I was wondering if dealing with this dino is normal or if there’s ways I could fix it 

image.jpg

image.jpg

+1 on diatoms. With dinos you'd see bubbles. Also dinos "disappear" at night (in the water column) and are visible again when the light turns on. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

And as for the crab...just poke it lol

That's what I was thinking.  Fish it out with a net and feel it...if it's a molt, it'll be obvious.

• Like 1
Aidanburkhardt
On 5/15/2019 at 7:21 AM, Melfy77 said:

+1 on diatoms. With dinos you'd see bubbles. Also dinos "disappear" at night (in the water column) and are visible again when the light turns on. 

It’s hard to see in that specific picture but yes there is bubbles trapped in the substrate 

image.jpg

43 minutes ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

It’s hard to see in that specific picture but yes there is bubbles trapped in the substrate 

image.jpg

Sometimes the bubbles are just trapped from new sand, it could be cyano.