Armstrod

Brown frilled algae/possibly dead hitchhiker?

Armstrod

Hi all, setting up first aquarium, still cycling with nothing in there but rock and water. 

Pulled a rock for what I suspect is cyanobacteria, but in the air I've noticed something else on there that I can't match with any pictures in the lists of usual suspects. Can I please the advice of experts? It's the brown frilled jobbie. And am I on the right path with cyano for the red stuff? 

Many thanks.

Under water

IMG_20190514_223049.thumb.jpg.17a1311cabd5d2db4d2517e3bbc15ebf.jpg

And out of tank

IMG_20190514_220834.thumb.jpg.e92d28aa13581659afcee6987165cfde.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The brown stuff sounds like a type of sponge, but it looks weird. Never seen something like that. The red stuff looks like a type of Macroalgae, which is good.

Cyanobacteria is like a cover on rocks and sand and it’s really slimy

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Looks like this

E1EE5895-E7C7-46CA-87A7-C1D26FE54B8D.png

Armstrod

Ah many thanks, Ive been wading through species after species of algae trying to match the brown stuff, I'll try the sponges sections. 

Have me a little hopeful that I might be able to keep some of this around. I won't lie, rock, sand and water gets a bit dull to look at during the initial setup stages.

• Like 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Armstrod said:

Ah many thanks, Ive been wading through species after species of algae trying to match the brown stuff, I'll try the sponges sections. 

Have me a little hopeful that I might be able to keep some of this around. I won't lie, rock, sand and water gets a bit dull to look at during the initial setup stages.

Yea, it is a little boring at the beginning. But trust me, don’t rush things. I’ve made that mistake and you don’t want to make that too