Cultivated Reef

In case anyone was wondering why I'm so hesitant to just re-home or to even put the larger in the box, this is how the two behave when separated, the male doesn't stop doing this at all - for the most part - just pausing to eat. This little clip was taken right before a latenight-waterchange, so they were both actually more skittish and reserved than normal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iNMVruChxERj56xJ7

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 3:34 PM, Amphrites said:

I'm not certain if the blown-up image is actually the animal I removed from the montipora, it almost had to be manually-pulled out. I'm not convinced the monti wasn't eating it but I figured I would pull it out and get a closer look regardless. It was some kind of elongated shrimp-like animal with a whiskery-head that was sitting halfway-in the polyp-pore, maybe I have parasitic amphipods? It doesn't really look like those oldshool montipora black-bugs of legend, although it was translucent and bug-like with a black-spine while still in the pore.
935924168_Parasiticamphipodorworm.thumb.jpg.bc7cb32f8e4deef2f635ad1964e6cfb4.jpg

PSA
Brownish-black threads growing in SPS corals may, in fact, be Halofolliculina corallasia

Said recovering coral may suddenly explode with a huge population and die in just a few days.

Explains the struggle bus for any coral with tissue damage and just in general, not the best luck on my end - guess the tank's going to need some time for it to be outcompeted, but as an independent, free-living, ciliate it's not likely to ever really go away.

Stony corals and fragging may just not be in my future, ah well.

Your tank made it past the one year mark and should settle down a bit. I hope your not getting discouraged. How are the clowns doing?

Meeting all the needs of livestock choices is no easy task. Hang in there

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Your tank made it past the one year mark and should settle down a bit. I hope your not getting discouraged. How are the clowns doing?

Meeting all the needs of livestock choices is no easy task. Hang in there

It's a bummer, but I'm not really discouraged lol, my luck is... well these things happen frequently enough to make people believe in misfortune to begin with.

It really just means any coral which starts to struggle or ends up damaged is likely to die in that system. (Which explains ALLOT)

The clowns aren't great lol, against my better judgement and the desire to keep things simple, I'm going to be setting up a little ten gallon for the Perc.

She's a finicky eater, panicky with active tankmates, and seems to have stunted growth given how quickly the occy caught up in size.

I'd rather keep her around and make sure she's well than return her to a store for a few bucks in credit.

• Like 1

In case anyone wants a reference for what an impacted animal looks like, here are a few shots of its' spread to the green digi. In the zoomed-out shot you can see the black lines in tissue have cropped up in a few different places and branches, in the zoomed-in picture you can see the telltale brown ring starting to spread and the black, fuzzy, worm-like ciliate itself. 
I could be mistaken, these could be black bugs, or those weird black-flatworms, or some other oddball pest - I'll never claim to be anywhere near 50% on anything lol.

IMG_20200726_122335_21.thumb.jpg.a73257cfaf4d7c548e9891e7cecbcb3e.jpg

IMG_20200726_122358_15.thumb.jpg.49e871bc7f9f9a5db77c5e666746c01a.jpg

Just gotta' finish the spraybar to go along the back and the moma-dome will be ready to get wet and wiggly.
Gameplan, rockflowers, and allot of dragonsbreath all over the bottom of the tank, potentially the right zoa.

I have about a liter of cycled matrix to throw in the DIY AIO chamber and will probably pick up a cycled rock from a LFS to toss in somewhere.
I'm still not sure what to do about lighting, the main system is liable to be survivors and softies for the forseable future, but I was also thinking of throwing macro in since that maxscpect has such an aggressively-complete and diverse white-spectrum. But I had kinda planned to put it over this tank with a DIY diffuser lid...
I'm no longer certain what to do, as I'm not overly-confidant in the ABI Tuna Blue's ability to grow macro.

Oh, and it'll likely get its' own sparsely-updated and somewhat anemic-stocking thread XD

IMG_20200728_125545.thumb.jpg.034b831e770798e4df8c4e0cf2195bf6.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't want to bother the Basslet as she gets used to the new system so I've not gotten the Macro lens out, but can anyone help me figure out what kind of Psammocora this is lol?
I thought it was a litho for quite some time, and that's what it was sold as, but the tentacles and mouths just look wrong (to me) for a litho.

IMG_20201106_135956_20.thumb.jpg.92f1e46d187c28781e4cabc61b6f4e0f.jpg

Oops, wrong thread...

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1