Pod Your Reef

Help me choose a nano!

brett559

Hi all,

I have a 42g reef that's been up for about 4 years at my office.   

My daughter wants a little clownfish tank. I'm going to keep it really simple. 10 gallons. No sand. 

Equipment will be just this: 
1 - Return pump
2 - Aquamaxx Prism LED 
3 - Heater
4 - Filter floss holder

I just can't decide on the tank. I'm down to either an IM Nuvo 10 or Waterbox 10. I used to have a Nuvo 20 that I really liked, but I kind of want to try something new. 

Which should I choose? 

19 hours ago, brett559 said:

I used to have a Nuvo 20 that I really liked

That would be perfect for a pair of clownfish.  But I know you'd like something smaller.  You are already familiar with IM, here's an owners thread on Waterbox:

I think the quality on the waterbox tanks is a bit meh. Not a huge difference but for the same price IM might be a better deal. Really if you can get one local just get whichever is available 

I do love the IM tanks, but one problem is lighting.  The tank is going into a space with not much clearance above the tank.  So a lot of the normal lighting options (AI Prime, A80, etc.) have arms/goosenecks that go too high.  The AquaMaxx Prism will fit on a 13" tank. 

Waterbox is 13.8" long, so that would work. 

Nuvo 10 is only 12" long. 

Any ideas on lights that would work on the Nuvo 10, but don't have mounting arms that go very high?   

Can you just do an AI with a hanging kit since you have something above you can mount into it.  The nano box arm looks pretty small as well.