SaltCritters.com

Blue Dot Mushroom Detaching?

Firefish15

Firefish15

Hey all!

Do mushrooms detach the oral disc from the base at all? That's what my blue dot mushroom looks like it's doing. IMG_20190511_224222937.thumb.jpg.b477691511d50b95d04dd14e1b23dd55.jpg

That little thread of flesh is the stalk. This photo was taken at night, so the disc is pretty shrunken right now. It's normally about an inch across during the day.

The tank is a 10g with a Hipargero AquaKnight light, and an AC70-turned-refugium for filtration. The tank's about 10 months old. The mushroom is in a low flow and light area with some other shrooms, on the back left rock. 699422217_IMG_20190504_154137347(1).thumb.jpg.b1469788441561ca5216b6d80a12fbac.jpgOther corals include xenia, a few zoa colonies, a green sinularia leather, a cabbage leather, a pipe organ coral, a ricordea, and a hairy mushroom. Everything else looks happy and is growing well. 

The params I test are

Salinity = 1.025

pH = 8.15

Nitrates = 3ppm

Temp = 78F

Any insight you can provide would be great. 

Thanks!

This guy is extra salty
37 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Hey all!

Do mushrooms detach the oral disc from the base at all? That's what my blue dot mushroom looks like it's doing. IMG_20190511_224222937.thumb.jpg.b477691511d50b95d04dd14e1b23dd55.jpg

That little thread of flesh is the stalk. This photo was taken at night, so the disc is pretty shrunken right now. It's normally about an inch across during the day.

The tank is a 10g with a Hipargero AquaKnight light, and an AC70-turned-refugium for filtration. The tank's about 10 months old. The mushroom is in a low flow and light area with some other shrooms, on the back left rock. 699422217_IMG_20190504_154137347(1).thumb.jpg.b1469788441561ca5216b6d80a12fbac.jpgOther corals include xenia, a few zoa colonies, a green sinularia leather, a cabbage leather, a pipe organ coral, a ricordea, and a hairy mushroom. Everything else looks happy and is growing well. 

The params I test are

Salinity = 1.025

pH = 8.15

Nitrates = 3ppm

Temp = 78F

Any insight you can provide would be great. 

Thanks!

You need to check all water parameters 

calcium 

kh

magnesium

po4

how often do you do water changes?

Firefish15
2 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

You need to check all water parameters 

calcium 

kh

magnesium

po4

how often do you do water changes?

I haven't tested any of those ones. If it was a water quality issue though, I'm guessing the other corals would also be showing symptoms. 

I change water once a week, about 10%. I'll change filter floss, remove some chaeto from the refugium, blast the rocks with a baster, then stir and vacuum the sandbed. For water, I do manual top-offs with RO/DI water. For water changes I mix Instant Ocean with RO/DI to 1.025 the day before, have it heated and circulated before the water change.

Your mushroom may not like where it is placed. Like an anemone they could detach and float around till they find a suitable spot to live.

Mushrooms commonly detach themselves when they don't like their location (usually because they are getting too much flow), but most of the time they bring their foot with them! 😂 Have to say I have never seen that before. I wouldn't be surprised if the oral disc reattaches itself somewhere else and the foot regrows a new mouth; 'shrooms are weird like that and do some strange stuff sometimes.

Firefish15

Update: 

The shroom went ahead and severed itself. The leftover base still looks alive though. It dropped a few inches to the sand bed, and has tethered itself to the base of the rock.

IMG_20190512_132639167.thumb.jpg.26ea69d51d28b6f8427d6ff456ab2ffd.jpg

It's about the same level as the other two shrooms now. So I guess it's okay?

IMG_20190512_132712132.thumb.jpg.623676659e5053a549b420ebf653fce7.jpg

I think I'll just wait and see how it does there. 

Some people might look down on Discosomas for being too common or basic, but I'm really liking them so far! Corals are such weird and fascinating animals! :lol:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2019 at 3:35 PM, Firefish15 said:

Some people might look down on Discosomas for being too common or basic, but I'm really liking them so far! Corals are such weird and fascinating animals! :lol:

they get lumped into the "beginner coral" category. Totally inappropriate in my opinion… They are tough as noted in a post earlier, but they are anything but beginner animals. Too many issues IMO.

• Like 2
Firefish15

Well, I put the severed oral disc in a shot glass with a piece of rubble. It's attached now, and expanding again. And the foot is growing a new oral disc! These things are crazy! 🤣

44 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Well, I put the severed oral disc in a shot glass with a piece of rubble. It's attached now, and expanding again. And the foot is growing a new oral disc! These things are crazy! 🤣

Mine don’t ever drop off their base like that, but they move and leave a piece behind and grow out as another shroom, I started with one, now I have hundreds. I have to take scissors and cut them off all the time when they start crowding my Yuma’s too much.

• Like 1