Cultivated Reef

20 gallon RFA tank

Kellykid

I’d like to start a 20 gallon tank that houses mainly rock flower anemones. I’d like to add sexy shrimp and porcelain grabs. I also have two clown fish I’d like to put in there. Does that sound doable? How many shrimp and crabs would be acceptable?  What would be the best substrate?  Sand or rubble?

TIA

I have an rfa and bta 10g tank.

It's a very easy tank but it was a fully established system before converting to anemones.

Rfa's are great, I have noticed they are happier being lower in the tank than in the upper areas. 

I set up my tank with an upgraded return pump to avoid having powerheads in the tank. Its important to pre plan an anemone tank so that none get sucked into equipment.

It's a doable tank. As for crabs and shrimp, start off slow with additions.

Afropenguin
On 5/11/2019 at 6:42 PM, Kellykid said:

I’d like to start a 20 gallon tank that houses mainly rock flower anemones. I’d like to add sexy shrimp and porcelain grabs. I also have two clown fish I’d like to put in there. Does that sound doable? How many shrimp and crabs would be acceptable?  What would be the best substrate?  Sand or rubble?

TIA

Seems fine 😃 Substrate dosent matter too much but it might be easier to see the shrimp with sand? not sure though. For the number of shrimp and crabs, just get 1 at a time until you feel like you have enough 😃

Do you quarantine your rfa?  If so how do you do so they can be moved in dt easily?

what sort of filter media would be best to use in this type of tank?

12 minutes ago, Kellykid said:

Do you quarantine your rfa?  If so how do you do so they can be moved in dt easily?

what sort of filter media would be best to use in this type of tank?

I don't quarantine them.

Filter media really depends on the system.

I use floss, carbon, purigen. If needed I added a bit of phosguard

I dont qt mine but make them purge. Just sit them on a surface and let them purge any left over nasty water they may be holding inside from shipping or the lfs tanks you can actual see them spitting it out. It doesn't take but a minute other than that I just plunk them into the tank and hold them to the rock or ground whatever untill they start to stick so they dont ge blown away by the current. They attach prety fast usualy. I have a 20g with 14 of them now and some babies a few are around an inch across now. I do have one I purchased that refuses to grow it looks like a baby but isnt.

I have the in tank media caddys on both sides I use filter floss first and  then chemipure blue about twice recommended amount devided into a bag on each side and an extra bag of around 70 to 30 percent  high quality carbon and denitrate mixed in one of the second chambers. I change the floss about every week and the chemipure blue about every other month along with the carbon. I do about a 25 percent water change about every 2 to 3 weeks.  Filtration is up to your preferance.

Kellie in CA

My 25 Lagoon has been taken over by RFA's, I have 18 now.  It actually works great for them because with  the Lagoon shape there is a lot of floor space.  My tank was pretty mature before I started adding them, I set up this actual tank 1 year ago, but have had the rock for about 5.  They are pretty easy to care for, but I do direct feed them at least 2x a week.  I just use filter floss and Chemipure. 

6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I don't quarantine them.

Filter media really depends on the system.

I use floss, carbon, purigen. If needed I added a bit of phosguard

5 hours ago, LazyFish said:

I dont qt mine but make them purge. Just sit them on a surface and let them purge any left over nasty water they may be holding inside from shipping or the lfs tanks you can actual see them spitting it out. It doesn't take but a minute other than that I just plunk them into the tank and hold them to the rock or ground whatever untill they start to stick so they dont ge blown away by the current. They attach prety fast usualy. I have a 20g with 14 of them now and some babies a few are around an inch across now. I do have one I purchased that refuses to grow it looks like a baby but isnt.

I have the in tank media caddys on both sides I use filter floss first and  then chemipure blue about twice recommended amount devided into a bag on each side and an extra bag of around 70 to 30 percent  high quality carbon and denitrate mixed in one of the second chambers. I change the floss about every week and the chemipure blue about every other month along with the carbon. I do about a 25 percent water change about every 2 to 3 weeks.  Filtration is up to your preferance.

4 hours ago, Kellie in CA said:

My 25 Lagoon has been taken over by RFA's, I have 18 now.  It actually works great for them because with  the Lagoon shape there is a lot of floor space.  My tank was pretty mature before I started adding them, I set up this actual tank 1 year ago, but have had the rock for about 5.  They are pretty easy to care for, but I do direct feed them at least 2x a week.  I just use filter floss and Chemipure. 

Thank you!

Anybother suggestions/helpful tidbits anyone could recommend?  Just trying to learn as much as I can first.