Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

IM Fusion Screen Cover - Redo, Replace, keep?

RemoGaggi

I've an IM Fusion 20 gallon.  As most know, the tank cover that comes with it has a thick plastic screen that I've read blocks out quite a bit of light.  I haven't seen any posts on the web where someone actually did a par measurement, but the thickness of the stock plastic screen would lead me to believe it does inhibit the incoming light.  Looking at the stock cover, it appears the rubber cord that holds in the thick plastic could simply be removed and re-screened with 1/4" clear plastic netting (much like re-screening a house window screen).  I know BRS sells a tank cover kit, but I'd rather just spend a couple of bucks and be able to mod my existing cover if possible (and worth the effort).

Here are my questions:

1.  Has anyone verified the stock screen does in fact affect the Par values?

2.  Has anyone removed the stock thick plastic and replaced it with plastic netting?

3.  Is this a worthwhile mod?

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.  

SliceGolfer

BRS did a video on the fine mesh screens and I think they determined PAR could drop up to 5% based on the material or reflection. Just imagine what that cheese grater lid is blocking? That screen is better suited for panning gold than on a reef tank. 

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

I ran the stock lid successfully for over three years so it is viable.  A thinner mesh will allow more light penetration though.  The IM Pro series lids use the finer mesh and built in clips, I upgraded to that a month before upgrading the whole setup to a redsea reefer.  The reefers lid kit also uses the finer mesh so the industry is moving towards the fine mesh.  Beware after 3 years the aluminum frame degraded on the edges presumably into the tank.  Go to the hardware store and buy new mesh it’s pretty simple to exchange it, you might want to buy some spare backer rod, the stuff that wedges into the groove to keep the mesh in place

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the replies.  I replaced the thick plastic cheese grater on the original frame with 1/4" clear netting I got from Ebay awhile ago.  The backer rod (spline) is pretty thick.  It came out easy, but putting it back in was difficult.  It was too thick to use a screening tool (roller).  I ended up using some flat nose pliers to gently work the spline back it.  It took a little more work than expected, but it came out fine.  I did notice the new screen seemed to have a few more shadows than it did before, but nothing too annoying.  I'm currently running a Current USA Marine LED and I'm adding a second one (Marine IC LED) when it arrives next Friday.  Here's what the re-screened cover looks like and my tank so far.  

IMG_20190511_175316635.jpg

IMG_20190511_175325806.jpg

• Like 1