SaltCritters.com

Is this a bubble tip anemone?

joshvollberg

joshvollberg

I bought this yesterday from the LFS and the guy said it was a BTA. My questions are: why does it not have bubble tentacles? Is It because it is still acclimating to my tank? Also, what color is it? He said it was green, but it looks more purplish to me! I thought the common color forms were usually green and tan...

—I hope he will do ok and doesn’t look sick. Not sure why the tentacles are short and skinny. When I look at BTAs on google images, they have very defined bubbles with colored tips. This one doesn’t. Any ideas? 

89050131-5771-4537-87B4-0C5BF57072EA.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It’s definitely bleached whatever kind of anemone it is. If you keep your tank nice, it should bring back its color. Hopefully you didn’t pay a lot for it.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My long tentacle was all white when I first got him, very bleached. Now his tentacles are more blue and have reddish tips at the end. He is very pretty now. 

Just keep your params where they are supposed to be and you should be fine.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It’s probably a bubble tip tho. By the looks of it, it’s probably a brown one. Sorry if the LFS ripped you off.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, joshvollberg said:

Payed $49 for it including tax. I feel like it’s a pretty decent size tho? 

Yea, that is a nice sized one. I don’t know if I would’ve payed that much for it, but hopefully I’m wrong about the color and it turns out to be a big rose or rainbow bubble tip for you😁👍. Then you definitely got your money’s worth

And it’s something for your clowns to live in, so it’s a win win

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, joshvollberg said:

Ethan,

How long do you think it will take for the nem to regain its color? 

Mine took about 2 months to start to regain some of its color. It really just depends on how well you keep your params up. Make sure it’s not too high in the tank, but most of the time nems will move depending on if it likes that spot. What are your params? What is your lighting?

joshvollberg

Nitrate: 10

phos: 0.1

calcium: 450

mag: 1350

alk: 10

temp: 80 F

ph: 8.2

light is a Kessil 360 ran for 10 hours a day.

MainelyReefer

I would guess long tentacle, Ritteri, carpet or sebae before I guessed bubbletip but I’m no expert on nems.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
29 minutes ago, joshvollberg said:

Nitrate: 10

phos: 0.1

calcium: 450

mag: 1350

alk: 10

temp: 80 F

ph: 8.2

light is a Kessil 360 ran for 10 hours a day.

It seems good to me, but your nitrate seems a tad high, but it’s nothing to worry about. Just keep them params up and it should get it’s colors back.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I would guess long tentacle, Ritteri, carpet or sebae before I guessed bubbletip but I’m no expert on nems.  

Now that you mention it, it could possibly be a sebae, but no way it’s a ritteri or a carpet. Carpets tentacles are a lot shorter than that, and ritteri are a lot long, more like a long tentacle.

joshvollberg

Hmmmm, should I call the fish store I bought it from and ask if it’s a possibility I can bring it back and trade for a different anemone since it is bleached?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, joshvollberg said:

Hmmmm, should I call the fish store I bought it from and ask if it’s a possibility I can bring it back and trade for a different anemone since it is bleached?

Yes! Not only is it bleached it’s starved that’s why the tentacles are so short. Once the tentacles shrink it’s pretty hard to get them to survive. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, joshvollberg said:

Yea try that if you can. I’ve never seen a starved nem before, so I had no idea.

joshvollberg

Oh boy. Well, hopefully I can take it back. It’s worth a shot to ask. I don’t think it was fair to pay $49 for a “bubble tip”. Especially when the owner misled me saying it was very healthy and was a “purple” variety.

1 minute ago, joshvollberg said:

Oh boy. Well, hopefully I can take it back. It’s worth a shot to ask. I don’t think it was fair to pay $49 for a “bubble tip”. Especially when the owner misled me saying it was very healthy and was a “purple” variety.

I would just tote it right back into the store. Usually a bubble tip will lose color then the tentacles shrink and they die. I’ve had a couple bta’s or 100 in my time :lol: 

C5186192-D338-4714-8C6C-3DE87D8BFD05.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, joshvollberg said:

They completely lied to you. They better give you your money back. 

Tell us what the result was when you go to return it. I’ll be following along

• Like 1
joshvollberg

Random question:

Do Seabae anemones split like a BTA?

Melev’s Reef tank on YouTube has a huge seabae and it keeps growing and I keep wondering if it will ever split.

Afropenguin
3 hours ago, joshvollberg said:

Random question:

Do Seabae anemones split like a BTA?

Melev’s Reef tank on YouTube has a huge seabae and it keeps growing and I keep wondering if it will ever split.

As far as I know they do not split like bubble tip anemones.