Cultivated Reef

HingleMcCringleberry

HingleMcCringleberry
16 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm not sure, but I believe internal parasites are treated with medicated food.  A quick search should provide a wealth of information.  Without additional symptoms, it's hard to confirm internal parasites.

The rabbitfish is much more suitable for this tank than a regal tang.  That said, make sure that the rabbitfish receives a full treatment before moving it to your 75 gallon tank.  You'll need to closely observe all of your fish in all of your tanks (even after treatment is complete).

Good Luck!

I’m not sure if I’m missing the hint that “good luck!” means to let you be but I have one question about the regal tang. 

I know now it is a stretch to keep it in a 75. I have prepared for what will happen when it outgrows the tank although I know that is an unpopular practice. 

But I have heard from a few people that captive bread baby hippos don’t require the same space as wild caught ones. A tang is still a tang and requires a lot of swimming space and that’s undeniable. But I’m curious if there’s any truth to that statement. The idea is that tangs bread in captivity and kept in a small tank at a young age never develop the same sense of confinement that wild tangs do. Like they still have instincts to swim far and fast and be active. And they need space to act out those instinctive behaviors. But the theory says they never develop the same habits and the same intense need for exercise. 

The idea I guess is partly learned behavior and development. But also that there’s two things tangs hate about a small tank. They don’t like being unable to act out their instinctive behavior. And distinctly separately, they feel confined in terms of territory. The idea is that captive bread tangs don’t develop the sense of needing a large territory and also develop less intense exercise habits. 

Idk if there’s some viability to that claim or if it’s all BS. But I guess if it’s not then maybe it could mean the difference between needing 150 gallon tank and a 100 gallon tank for an adult regal tang for example?

your response isn’t going to affect my plans to give the regal tang the space it needs when it grows. But it is something I’m honestly very curious about. 

The regal blue I have is just larger than a quarter and was captive bread. It will need larger than 75 one day. But deciding when that day has come is partially based on the fishes personality and behavior yeah? I guess if I’m honest, your thoughts will probably impact that decision. 

Also so let me know if I’m starting to annoy you. 

9 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

I’m not sure if I’m missing the hint that “good luck!” means to let you be

Nah, seems like we were wrapping this topic up.  Treating fish can be taxing (constant testing, occasional losses, biofilters that can't keep up, etc).  I wish you the best.

12 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

But I have heard from a few people that captive bread baby hippos don’t require the same space as wild caught ones. A tang is still a tang and requires a lot of swimming space and that’s undeniable. But I’m curious if there’s any truth to that statement.

Behaviors of captive bred fish can vary from wild specimens.  There is some truth to that.  However, I wouldn't think that this in any way makes up for the difference in your tank size.  A 75 gallon tank isn't just a little small; it's about 3 times as small as it should be.  And remember, we are talking about minimum sizes, ideal sizes would be even larger.

20 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Also so let me know if I’m starting to annoy you.

It's all good.  At least I feel that you are listening, even if it isn't exactly what you'd like to hear.

• Like 1

API General Cure + Focus to bind it to food for internal parasites for two weeks min.

Captive bred tangs are so new to the hobby no one has had them a long time, I would say that is made up bulllshit. The fish still have instincts to travel for food and to school. 

• Like 1
HingleMcCringleberry
On 5/13/2019 at 2:00 PM, Tamberav said:

API General Cure + Focus to bind it to food for internal parasites for two weeks min.

Captive bred tangs are so new to the hobby no one has had them a long time, I would say that is made up bulllshit. The fish still have instincts to travel for food and to school. 

Can I safely feed medicated food in a tank with sensitive corals? Will the fish end up pooping out some medicine into the water that hurts the corals?

9 minutes ago, HingleMcCringleberry said:

Can I safely feed medicated food in a tank with sensitive corals? Will the fish end up pooping out some medicine into the water that hurts the corals?

I found the following:

• 1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General cure)
  • 1 scoop Seachem Focus (this binder helps make it reef safe)
  • 1 tbsp food (pellets or frozen food)
  • A pinch of Epsom salt to help fish poop
  • A few drops of saltwater, Selcon, or fish vitamins
  • Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved
  • Freeze, then feed no more than twice a day
  • Like 2
HingleMcCringleberry
1 minute ago, seabass said:

I found the following:

• 1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General cure)
  • 1 scoop Seachem Focus (this binder helps make it reef safe)
  • 1 tbsp food (pellets or frozen food)
  • A pinch of Epsom salt to help fish poop
  • A few drops of saltwater, Selcon, or fish vitamins
  • Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved
  • Freeze, then feed no more than twice a day

Ok great. I thought the binder was just to make sure the fish ingested the medicine. And the meds would still make their way into the system externally as well.  Good to know it will keep the meds out of the water as well.