johnmaloney

Gaudy Clown Crab, aka the Sump King

johnmaloney

Checkout this tiny little guy. Sorry for all the blue light. 

The Gaudy Clown Crab, (Platypodiella spectabilis), is a small crab that hides at the base of algae, under rocks and anemones. We found this guy hanging out around some Gracialia. He is one of those crabs with a bad attitude, Xanthidae Family.

7B33290F-945E-455C-A184-22898135792A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 7

WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

The Gaudy Clown Crab, (Platypodiella spectabilis), is a small crab that hides at the base of algae, under rocks and anemones. We found this guy hanging out around some Gracialia. He is one of those crabs with a bad attitude, Xanthidae Family.

He’s so cute though! 😄

• Like 2

righttirefire

Start the bidding. I think @Dirté Sanchez needs another bad crab for the cube

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dirté Sanchez
9 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

Ooooohhhhhh what IS that?!

• Like 1

johnmaloney
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

He’s so cute though! 😄

He is costing me a fortune. Distracting everyone at work! 🙂 

• Haha 5

Dirté Sanchez
Just now, johnmaloney said:

I bet he’s gorgeous!

• Like 1

righttirefire
3 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

You have paid employees? You're ruining my fantasy of a crushy old man hustling snails out of roadside truck.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

• Haha 7

Hannahhhh

Where did you get him? I love the way he looks but I can’t find anyone online selling them!

Tigahboy

LOVE that crab.  Let us know when it goes up for auction.  😂

• Like 1

Snow_Phoenix

Damn. All the fun stuff keeps popping up on the other side of the world.😥

I'd love to have that crab otherwise. My pico needs something fancy to combat my douchebag hermit. 

johnmaloney
5 hours ago, righttirefire said:

You have paid employees? You're ruining my fantasy of a crushy old man hustling snails out of roadside truck.

images.jpeg-3.jpg

I will get back there someday.. 

• Like 1

johnmaloney
5 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

Where did you get him? I love the way he looks but I can’t find anyone online selling them!

They are from FL, one of the locals. They are pretty shy and few and far between in the wild, I only see one a year or so. But I don't go looking for them either, that probably has something to do with it. 

Tamberav

I saw those guys for sale before... long time ago... from what I can find their natural diet is coral, especially palys and zoas, the bright colors are to advertise to predators they are poison from all that palytoxin they have been eating.

Would be cool for a macro tank with very fast growing large colonies of palys/zoas for them to dine on. 

I'll start the bidding at $20 😉 He would look great with my fancy pink nerite. 

• Wow 2

johnmaloney
23 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Thanks for signing people up over at the competition.

Your price just tripled. 😋

• Haha 1

Tamberav
1 minute ago, johnmaloney said:

Thanks for signing people up over at the competition.

Your price just tripled. 😋

Rofl I totally deleted that before your quote once I realized what forum I was in... Still...you drive a hard bargain but... send em over! I got some green palys with his name on em!

Tamberav

I got a get rich quick scheme by renting him out to people with the seafoam palythoa invasions... 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

johnmaloney

🙂 I wasn't selling him for triple. I was saying you would get tripled as a joke. You won't rope him away that easy....Money! 🤣 They print it you know! Going to take wits, skill, a bit of luck and possibly a full tank shot by the time it is all over.

Wow though...that is a fortune for a crab. They are rarer than I thought apparently... I will figure out how he gets a new home, likely with a contest of some sort. They really eat palys huh? That is cool, I want to feed him some now. He is eating New Life Spectrum at the moment. 

• Like 2

Tamberav
10 minutes ago, johnmaloney said:

🙂 I wasn't selling him for triple. I was saying you would get tripled as a joke. You won't rope him away that easy. Wow though...that is a fortune for a crab. They are rarer than I thought apparently... I will figure out how he gets a new home, likely with a contest of some sort. They really eat palys huh? That is cool, I want to feed him some now. He is eating New Life Spectrum at the moment. 

oh lol! I like weird things 😛 I figured he wasn't actually for sale but a girls got to try. A contest would be cool or you could set up a pico here and run your own little crab condo thread for us to follow. 

I think juvies burrow inside of palys and sponges and such.... probably good at evading your prowess.

He is definitely not a crab you want to try and turn into the worlds smallest (and maybe deadliest?) crab cake. 

• Like 2

Tamberav

Google shows lots of pics of them hanging out in sponge burrows that have those zoas that grow on them. Seems to me they are doing the sponges a favor as those zoa's feed off the sponge I think. That would make for an awesome display tank. 

ba3ac45f6f12b56603a42b8c308a1675.jpg

129900594.Oe4gdsxW.dive2248009w.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

johnmaloney

That guy in the orange encrusting sponge even has a hydroid fence in front of his burrow. Pretty good real estate if you can get it.  

• Like 1

Tamberav

Since he is a crab he probably commited homicide to get that sweet spot.

I need a bucket of those spider sponge types......4 clown crabs...a half a gallon of star grass....15 ultra pink nerites... And some ultra rare hermit's you tease with blurry far away pics...

That is a reef cleaners critters... Nano reef TOTM....and reef builders feature right there. I could make you famous. 

😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

johnmaloney

I could make you famous."

"could"?   

"make" ?

Now you have insulted my ego!

• Haha 6

Tamberav
5 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

I could make you famous."

"could"?   

"make" ?

Now you have insulted my ego!

Haha

More famous?

🤔

• Haha 1

Tigahboy

Whatever contest you come up with, I'm sure you will have major participation for that crab.

• Like 2

Christopher Marks

Whoa what a cool find, I hope you have some palys you can try to feed it next! For science, of course! 😯

• Like 3
  • Haha 2