Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tana's IM INT 112 Lagoon 😎

tanacharison

mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Looking good!! Question though.  I've never really seen a skimmer ran externally.. what happens in the cup over flows

🤔 Always thinking 😋

• Haha 2
24 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Looking good!! Question though.  I've never really seen a skimmer ran externally.. what happens in the cup over flows

he could put in a drain tube for the cup, with a cup that big it shouldn't' be a problem if he's running it pretty dry. empty it once a week, or once every two weeks should be more than enough IMO.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

he could put in a drain tube for the cup, with a cup that big it shouldn't' be a problem if he's running it pretty dry. empty it once a week, or once every two weeks should be more than enough IMO.

Yea it's not a concern with it overflowing when it's working right , but if  it messes up.. I've had a few skimmers in my life and they are finicky and randomly just go wonky and over flow like crazy.. now granted these are cheaper skimmers like the bubble magnus I'm running right now 🤨

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

🤔 Always thinking 😋

I was actually thinking like a float switch in the skimmer going to his apex that will kill the skimmer/send an alarm would be cool , but then you would have to figure out a easy way to disconnect the float everytime you wanted to dump the cup.. or plumb the cup into a bigger waste reservoir 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
tanacharison
39 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I was actually thinking like a float switch in the skimmer going to his apex that will kill the skimmer/send an alarm would be cool , but then you would have to figure out a easy way to disconnect the float everytime you wanted to dump the cup.. or plumb the cup into a bigger waste reservoir 🤷‍♂️

Great question and answer! I'm building a wooden crate that will hold the skimmer outfeed up above my water level in the sump and make room for that plastic box inside. The box will have a drain connected to my skimmer cup with a valve so it will collect all the skimmate and I can disconnect it to empty. I also ordered a float switch to add to the box so if the skimmer goes crazy due to overfeeding or something it will shut off the skimmer after collecting 1.5 gallons. Just need a fancy breakout box from @HarryPotter and I should be good.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Great question and answer! I'm building a wooden crate that will hold the skimmer outfeed up above my water level in the sump and make room for that plastic box inside. The box will have a drain connected to my skimmer cup with a valve so it will collect all the skimmate and I can disconnect it to empty. I also ordered a float switch to add to the box so if the skimmer goes crazy due to overfeeding or something it will shut off the skimmer after collecting 1.5 gallons. Just need a fancy breakout box from @HarryPotter and I should be good.

Ha I follow your other build and have seen your sump setup so I figured you already had a plan for this , I was just curious to see what solution you had came up with... sounds like a great idea that you have cooking !!

tanacharison
24 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Ha I follow your other build and have seen your sump setup so I figured you already had a plan for this , I was just curious to see what solution you had came up with... sounds like a great idea that you have cooking !!

It's my first time running an external skimmer so I'm still nervous. Luckily I'll have the room for a internal if I skip the filter roller 

6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

woah, this is such a nice build already!  that sump is soo clean looking.  

I need to get my display as good as your next!

• Like 2
HarryPotter
On 6/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, tanacharison said:

Haha just let me know 😉. Hybrid? 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
tanacharison

Tank is really settling in well and starting to see more rapid growth. Enjoying the mixed reef and insane amount of fish in the box. Doing very little maintenance, just replacing floss in filter floss in cups and scraping tank weekly. Here are some thoughts..

• Skimmer is slightly more overpowered but still pulls dark skimmate
  • Still want to find a way to retro a filter roller at some point
  • Lighting still works well after several upgrades... added less intense zone for LPS, Softy. 
  • Auto feeder loud but extremely helpful 
  • Tank is a monster, had to upgrade to a heavy duty mag cleaner 

• Like 3
tanacharison
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

do you usually have a top on the tank?  

When I'm not in the room yes. The one that came from IM works great however the auto-feeder sits on the edge of it. 

• Like 1
On 8/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, tanacharison said:

Just a little Update..

FTS

48455394487_e6736778a8_z.jpg

48455238726_7184bb1778_z.jpg

48455241021_173f606952_z.jpg

Above and below

48455384712_89a7ec3d8b_z.jpg

48455385657_0247f72a18_z.jpg

Corals and Fish 😍

48455386522_5469aabd15_z.jpg

48455233141_7d72433ff0_z.jpg

48455235606_dd23fe1dbe_z.jpg

48455392077_b7b7676277_z.jpg

48455238076_c4c93350ce_z.jpg

48455240206_bdddbac98a_z.jpg

Stunning reef! I love this tank it's a shame there aren't more of then out there.

I'm also loving the plumbing, I really enjoy the complex plumbing jobs🙂

• Like 1
mitten_reef
On 8/4/2019 at 1:20 PM, tanacharison said:

Just a little Update..

FTS

48455394487_e6736778a8_z.jpg

48455238726_7184bb1778_z.jpg

48455241021_173f606952_z.jpg

Above and below

48455384712_89a7ec3d8b_z.jpg

48455385657_0247f72a18_z.jpg

Corals and Fish 😍

48455386522_5469aabd15_z.jpg

48455233141_7d72433ff0_z.jpg

48455235606_dd23fe1dbe_z.jpg

48455392077_b7b7676277_z.jpg

48455238076_c4c93350ce_z.jpg

48455240206_bdddbac98a_z.jpg

Hmmm this tank looks so good 😊. Might have to seriously consider one of these for the future upgrade.  Sure would be cheaper than a Red Sea Reefer. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Hmmm this tank looks so good 😊. Might have to seriously consider one of these for the future upgrade.  Sure would be cheaper than a Red Sea Reefer. 

I think they work out to be relatively the same cost for Gallon per gallon of size when you add a stand and sump to the IM (IM might be slightly cheaper, certainly more if you build your own stand). But the IM has a REALLY nice footprint which this build shows off nicely.🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
10 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

i thought that too....till i realize it doesn't come with a sump and additional plumbing or ATO

• Like 2
mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

i thought that too....till i realize it doesn't come with a sump and additional plumbing or ATO

Really comes down to customization vs top-of-the-line package. 

tanacharison

Just the tank, stand and plumbing to bulkhead. I didn't really like the sumps around this size that come with red sea or waterbox systems. They are made very specific and it's hard to add larger equipment like filter rollers, reactors, ex. I was going to get the less complicated trigger system but this one was cheeper.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Just now, tanacharison said:

Sump 2020

That’s a thing of beauty right there. 

but really? C’mon man, you’ve gone MIA for 4 months and drop a sump plumbing pic?  I wanna see those corals!!! 😄

• Like 1
tanacharison
6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

That’s a thing of beauty right there. 

but really? C’mon man, you’ve gone MIA for 4 months and drop a sump plumbing pic?  I wanna see those corals!!! 😄

I need a massive long winded update but your not missing much upstairs in the display. Long story short I started moving into my hopeful forever home early this summer spending most of my time there the last 4 months. Lost almost everything and then finally moved the tank after I was done doing some construction on the first floor. 

• Like 1
tanacharison

2020 Update. I moved and basically let the tank run itself for 3-4 months. 1-2 water changes during that time and Mysis 2-3 times a week. My auto feeder and skimmer ran the show while I was gone. Tank was fine for the first month then something went wrong that caused the SPS to slowly fade away, weeks later everything was dying but I wasn’t able to move the tank. I lost all my SPS and 90% of the LPS over the next two months. Now that the tank is moved, I'm starting to see some corals such as zoas and euphyllia come back as I pick back up daily and weekly tasks. During the move I upgraded the sump to one that includes a filter roller. The copper band died after a month. It was bad decision on my part to get but I’m happy all the fish made a final move to the new house. Last week I picked up a blue hippo tang and it’s a happy and hungry fish, eating 3-4 times a day. New coral order is already place with legendary corals and will be here this week. 

49333652562_0b1dcb5c29_z.jpg

49332967863_5c83990e79_z.jpg

49332967268_c7c945e4ab_z.jpg

49333654702_9501b52449_z.jpg

49333653532_9d0220f2a2_z.jpg

• Like 3