Top Shelf Aquatics

Tana's IM INT 112 Lagoon 😎

tanacharison

tanacharison

Well.. what has happened you ask.  Did some major water changes. Tossed a few lbs of chaetomorpha out after it was growing and growing. Still showing above 25 nitrates as it regrows. Still can't keep corals alive randomly.  Looking for some schooling fish to keep myself entertained with this thing. I’ll never use up my 1,2,3+ dosing 1ml a day.

Can you throw a bunch of zoa’s in there?  What is causing your nitrate problem is Chaeto keeps growing too? 
worst case just do 50% water change, itll have to come down to the low teens, right?

• Like 1
tanacharison
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Can you throw a bunch of zoa’s in there?  What is causing your nitrate problem is Chaeto keeps growing too? 
worst case just do 50% water change, itll have to come down to the low teens, right?

Chaeto is growing great. I added a bunch of zoas two weeks ago and half melted. I can do another 50%, last time I cleaned entire sand bed while doing it. 

tanacharison

I did test my PH with the new hanna checker. My apex has never been recalibrated post day one so I'm shocked it’s not too far off. Showing .05 under what the checker is reading. Installed the BRS Co2 scrubber this morning and my PH went from 7.61 to 7.73 in 30 minutes. I’m curious what will happen overnight and if I’ll see a good balance.

image.png.ba251f7da6e884d88818b49e8fd811df.png

image.png.daaad208772f5aeae4dddbac7d2bccfe.png

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to do a massive water change and I'll hopefully see some good movement when testing nitrates. Trigger systems filter roller motor gave out. Contacted customer support and they are shipping me out a updated replacement one this week. 

Trying brightwells nitrate bio media in my media reactor. Maybe this will be the final answer.. or just give me the extra bacteria to pull sand. 

Replaced one of my bulbs with a KZ super blue 😘. Makes me wanna buy a 6 or 8 bulb and switch over my retro kit. Guess it's not worth it if I'll upgrade the tank in a few years.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ninjamyst said:

I always have the opposite problem.  0 nitrates.  I have to DOSE nitrate.  Have you tried Dr. Tim's Waste Away?  I run a lot of biomedia in my sump.  

I have not tried waste away but my brother has a unopened bottle I might steal. He has the same issues as you. Dumps a shit ton of food in each day and he never shows up on test kits. He also is dosing bacteria weekly. I'm convinced my over complicated system caused more issues that benefits.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
22 hours ago, vlangel said:

Hey, just catching up after not being on N-R for a while.  How are you, how is the tank?  Major change?????

Hey!! Well life is great, tank not so much. Just a long string of issues and bad luck I'll post about later. All of it I could have stopped if I paid more attention. I shouldn't have taught myself to make beer, it's now my new obsession. I also have been a ghost on NR. I'm glad to see you back. How are things going with you?

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Hey!! Well life is great, tank not so much. Just a long string of issues and bad luck I'll post about later. All of it I could have stopped if I paid more attention. I shouldn't have taught myself to make beer, it's now my new obsession. I also have been a ghost on NR. I'm glad to see you back. How are things going with you?

Ha ha, it's funny how new hobbies can capture our attention!  Hey, good luck in making beer, that sounds interesting.  

Things are well with me.  Dave and I's new obsession is disc golf but it does not compete with the tank too much.  My tank is doing very well although my last seahorse died this past year so the tank has taken a new major turn.  It is now a very maintenance friendly high nutrient tank where macro algaes take up a lot of nutrients.  My 17 fish provide the nutrients for the macros, coral and filter feeders.  It's a mixed reef but heavy on softies and LPS.  I am also experimenting with shoal seagrass in the 30 gallon fuge and that is going well.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 2:19 PM, vlangel said:

Ha ha, it's funny how new hobbies can capture our attention!  Hey, good luck in making beer, that sounds interesting.  

Things are well with me.  Dave and I's new obsession is disc golf but it does not compete with the tank too much.  My tank is doing very well although my last seahorse died this past year so the tank has taken a new major turn.  It is now a very maintenance friendly high nutrient tank where macro algaes take up a lot of nutrients.  My 17 fish provide the nutrients for the macros, coral and filter feeders.  It's a mixed reef but heavy on softies and LPS.  I am also experimenting with shoal seagrass in the 30 gallon fuge and that is going well.

I love disk golf! I'm really bad even after playing ultimate frisbee for years. The course out by monroeville was amazing. Your new tank sounds fun and the look of natural seagrass  is amazing.

• 3 months later...
tanacharison

Spent all day re-wiring and setting up a new apex el. Decided to update the plumbing issues as well. Today my legs are killing me. I need a fish room.. all this crawling around under my stand sucks.

• 4 months later...
tanacharison
On 7/31/2021 at 7:57 PM, ninjamyst said:

Tank looks great!  I just ordered a 200 int peninsula.  Any tips for a future int owner?

Bring 5 people to move it!! It's awfully heavy. Also not sure if it's the same style overflow but you will need a power head inside to move around all the gunk or syphon out of it during water changes. It's holds like 7 gal back there and no matter the return flow it's always gets backed up.

• Like 1
tanacharison
On 7/31/2021 at 9:30 PM, mitten_reef said:

Geez, been a long time. Glad the tank is doing well

Dude I know! I bought all the cool tech... Trident and shit hoping it would fix problems. Long story short I gave up keeping anything harder than a mushroom 😂😂 I had some nice LPS until my anemones kept splitting and taking everything out.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Bring 5 people to move it!! It's awfully heavy. Also not sure if it's the same style overflow but you will need a power head inside to move around all the gunk or syphon out of it during water changes. It's holds like 7 gal back there and no matter the return flow it's always gets backed up.

It's the coast to coast overflow.  Takes up the entire side of the peninsula.  I can imagine all the gunk that gets collected in there...thanks for the tip!  It's my first time plumbing a tank.  I have no idea how to even start....I have 3 months to learn. Hahab

tanacharison
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

It's the coast to coast overflow.  Takes up the entire side of the peninsula.  I can imagine all the gunk that gets collected in there...thanks for the tip!  It's my first time plumbing a tank.  I have no idea how to even start....I have 3 months to learn. Hahab

Plumbing is not that hard. It's a short drop to my sump and it made it hard to fit in any extra unions and valves. Send me any questions you have.. it's the second best thing Im good at in this hobby. First is spending money 😂

• Haha 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Well I guess it's been a little longer than recommended. 😂

you know what?  sump cleaning is overrated....I have yet to clean the sump since setting up my waterbox in early (april?) 2021...