Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tana's IM INT 112 Lagoon 😎

tanacharison

Well back from a Europe trip last week and while I was gone my tank sitter had to battle a difficult situation. My heat gave out and the house dropped to 40 for a short period.. He rushed over the next morning and at his point the tank was around 61. After turning on every spare electric heater in my house and a backup heater in my tank he go the house up to 50 and the tank to normal after about a day in the cold. Luckly we got someone out to fix it that day and everything was back to normal. No fish losses, just a few new corals from LC that I got 2 weeks ago and the big finger leather. Everything else looks good. Gotta love vactions. 

image.png.e8c6e0b819e4c025c47427b21eefa045.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
  • 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, tanacharison said:

Updated Pictures:

49538116771_de3628622b_z.jpg

49537622268_0330315073_z.jpg

49538343817_b582b0aac0_z.jpg

I forget how big that tank is until you show a long view like that........and that mushroom rock is nice! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I forget how big that tank is until you show a long view like that........and that mushroom rock is nice! 

It's big, heavy and should hold plenty of corals and fish. The mushroom rock was a single from LC 3 years ago. Crazy how time flys. I seen your dottyback on insta.. that's some crazy. Now I'm back to using gloves while cleaning out the sump again after that pic. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

. I seen your dottyback on insta.. that's some crazy. Now I'm back to using gloves while cleaning out the sump again after that pic. 

😂 she likes to eat bristleworms....... Doesn’t seem worth it to me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha 2
20 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Good to see this tank update.  😄

Not much to update but I figured I would start doing FTS as I add corals. Once everything balances back out and the tank starts growing corals fast it will be fun. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

More corals deliver Thursday and I'm thinking on doing a video update now that I've actually played around with this set up. I have a lot to say both good and bad. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
tanacharison
5 hours ago, Spencer7 said:

Did you try and not like the AF salt? 

Never used it. When I decided to try out the aquaforest system I had four tanks running all using RS blue bucket and I only wanted to try a ULNS on one tank. According to the system directions you can use your own salt brand so I never switched. 

I'm actually looking to slowly stop using AF products and go to a simpler approach. I never really had the time to do a more complicated nutrient removal program. 

In favor of RS products? I feel like ESV's lineup is meant to be pretty straightforward/simple (as an alternative). 

1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

Never used it. When I decided to try out the aquaforest system I had four tanks running all using RS blue bucket and I only wanted to try a ULNS on one tank. According to the system directions you can use your own salt brand so I never switched. 

I'm actually looking to slowly stop using AF products and go to a simpler approach. I never really had the time to do a more complicated nutrient removal program. 

tanacharison
32 minutes ago, Spencer7 said:

In favor of RS products? I feel like ESV's lineup is meant to be pretty straightforward/simple (as an alternative). 

Yeah 100% going to a basic 2 part dosing for elements, no carbon dosing. Supplemental water changes for anything trace.

I'm leaning to ESV and loved it in the past. Also looking at the trition and two little fishes selection. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
tanacharison

Updated FTS. No idea what’s been wrong but I've lost 80% of the corals added post move. I can attribute some loss from a few major temperature swings early on. I also had some issues with the filter roller and sump but all that is now resolved. I thought I had a run in with Briopsis or my caulerpa went asexual so I ran flux-rx. All the plant growth went away from the sand bed. No clue what is causing the problems. Submitted a trition test and started running rowaphos due to higher phosphates and alu. Doc test results should be in next week. On a positive I have no algae at all.

49924668247_32c437f9ff_k.jpg

This blue girl has been crawling around the tank for the past 4 weeks. 

49923844088_e5a83ed214_k.jpg

• Like 3
tanacharison
ab618c47-8fe1-4a82-8e3a-191fbc97c9f4.jpg

TRITON N-DOC Barcode Scan

Hi alonzohuse

We have received your water sample at the TRITON regional hub. Your sample will now be forwarded to the TRITON-Lab in Germany within 2-3 working days. You will receive a further email once your sample has arrived. Thanks for using our service. Best Regards Team TRITON

• Like 2
tanacharison

Triton received my N-DOC last night. I'll be interested to see what that test shows. I added all the missing trace elements according to my first ICP test and I've been running rowaphos for two weeks now to eliminate the aluminum.  I've tested phosphates every other day or more to see if I can find out how much my feeding cause spike in and how much rowaphos will be needed to maintain below .9,  added additional rowaphos yesterday to keep up with feedings and today I tested .05 phosphate. 

image.png.429bb99c6829c1493076534cfd1277a5.png

Tested Nitrate for the first time in 2 years and landed between 25-50ppm. I added a more powerful grow light for the fudge in hopes I can grow chateo fast and help maintain nutrients.

49948547581_4930d5ea07_k.jpg

tanacharison
36 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

I use chaetogro and it helps a lot.  My chaeto used to turn white or not grow at all but I dose a little chaetogro once a week and they are doing great  

I never could get it to grow in the past and switched to caulerpa. I had a crazy feather algae growth all over my sand a few weeks ago and had to treat my tank with Flux-rx. I figured I would try chaeto out again. After looking at the bottle it's interesting to see what's in that stuff. When I get home I'm going to compare those trace elements to my trition test and see if I'm already light on any of them.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
19 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

image.png.cdf264dac181fa9c9506c64252d7196d.png

what are we looking at here?

low-ish alk, but not bad.

69 PPM nitrate? 

what's the TNb in the red? oh, looks like 15.59 - seems to be total nitrate value?. 

tanacharison
8 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

what are we looking at here?

low-ish alk, but not bad.

69 PPM nitrate? 

what's the TNb in the red? oh, looks like 15.59 - seems to be total nitrate value?. 

No idea.. 🤣Lower alk is a definite problem and I started slowly taking it back up again. The test requires you to re-test your Nitrates/phosphates and submit to compare. Basically they think my ratio of Nitrate to phosphate is good, just higher. I also have good in-organic carbons. 

• Like 1
tanacharison

@mitten_reef

This is the scary part... They want me to dose all this in one day. After looking it up on bulk reef its just Alk. 🤨

filter
DiscoveriesActivities
dosage_prio_4_small.png 

Important for your aquarium

TIC : We have proven a lack of inorganic carbon and therefore a too low carbonate hardness.

You should increase your carbonate hardness for the following reasons:
- Inorganic carbon is essential for calcification
- Important for building a healthy coral
skeleton - A lack of inorganic carbon can have very bad effects on the
aquarium, please always try to compensate for a deficiency quickly.

To produce the natural value, please use 3g TRITON NaHCO3 in 100L aquarium water or dose TRITON CO3 according to our dosage recommendation.

TIC : We recommend that you dose a total of 104.20 ml for 1 day. You can dose everything in one day.

• Wow 1