tanacharison

Something New From IM 😎

mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Looking good!! Question though.  I've never really seen a skimmer ran externally.. what happens in the cup over flows

🤔 Always thinking 😋

• Haha 2

dvs1986
24 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Looking good!! Question though.  I've never really seen a skimmer ran externally.. what happens in the cup over flows

he could put in a drain tube for the cup, with a cup that big it shouldn't' be a problem if he's running it pretty dry. empty it once a week, or once every two weeks should be more than enough IMO.

• Like 1

FISHnChix
23 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

he could put in a drain tube for the cup, with a cup that big it shouldn't' be a problem if he's running it pretty dry. empty it once a week, or once every two weeks should be more than enough IMO.

Yea it's not a concern with it overflowing when it's working right , but if  it messes up.. I've had a few skimmers in my life and they are finicky and randomly just go wonky and over flow like crazy.. now granted these are cheaper skimmers like the bubble magnus I'm running right now 🤨

• Like 1

FISHnChix
54 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

🤔 Always thinking 😋

I was actually thinking like a float switch in the skimmer going to his apex that will kill the skimmer/send an alarm would be cool , but then you would have to figure out a easy way to disconnect the float everytime you wanted to dump the cup.. or plumb the cup into a bigger waste reservoir 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

tanacharison
39 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I was actually thinking like a float switch in the skimmer going to his apex that will kill the skimmer/send an alarm would be cool , but then you would have to figure out a easy way to disconnect the float everytime you wanted to dump the cup.. or plumb the cup into a bigger waste reservoir 🤷‍♂️

Great question and answer! I'm building a wooden crate that will hold the skimmer outfeed up above my water level in the sump and make room for that plastic box inside. The box will have a drain connected to my skimmer cup with a valve so it will collect all the skimmate and I can disconnect it to empty. I also ordered a float switch to add to the box so if the skimmer goes crazy due to overfeeding or something it will shut off the skimmer after collecting 1.5 gallons. Just need a fancy breakout box from @HarryPotter and I should be good.

• Like 1

FISHnChix
13 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Great question and answer! I'm building a wooden crate that will hold the skimmer outfeed up above my water level in the sump and make room for that plastic box inside. The box will have a drain connected to my skimmer cup with a valve so it will collect all the skimmate and I can disconnect it to empty. I also ordered a float switch to add to the box so if the skimmer goes crazy due to overfeeding or something it will shut off the skimmer after collecting 1.5 gallons. Just need a fancy breakout box from @HarryPotter and I should be good.

Ha I follow your other build and have seen your sump setup so I figured you already had a plan for this , I was just curious to see what solution you had came up with... sounds like a great idea that you have cooking !!

ninjamyst

woah, this is such a nice build already!  that sump is soo clean looking.  

tanacharison
24 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Ha I follow your other build and have seen your sump setup so I figured you already had a plan for this , I was just curious to see what solution you had came up with... sounds like a great idea that you have cooking !!

It's my first time running an external skimmer so I'm still nervous. Luckily I'll have the room for a internal if I skip the filter roller 

6 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

woah, this is such a nice build already!  that sump is soo clean looking.  

I need to get my display as good as your next!

• Like 2

HarryPotter
On 6/13/2019 at 12:33 PM, tanacharison said:

Haha just let me know 😉. Hybrid?