Cultivated Reef

Lula Mae's Mr. Aqua 7.5 gallon bowfront--on hiatus :(

Lula_Mae

Hadn't seen Crab-o for a few days but did a badly-needed water change (was starting to get cyano in the corners lol) and picked up the rock he favors and he was glaring at me from a cave underneath.  Hey there grumpy Crab-o!  Little goby still swimming happily.  Pump is less green now lol.  Got some Emerald Entree at Petsmart the other day to see if maybe that'll help keep Crab-o satisfied. Finally got a water bottle so I can try to make a trap and catch him too!

• Like 3

Well I was feeding the fish and spotted the evil looking pink crab sneaking in and out from under the left hand rock.  So it looks like I have two crabs to catch lol.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
  • 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I snagged HUGE frags of blondies and scrambled eggs at my favorite reef shop; today, the scrambled eggs are down to ONE SINGLE POLYP. Because of freaking PODS!  I'm so mad at them lol. I moved the goby over here to try to control them. Obviously the coral-eating pods I had before have survived to continue being buttheads in this tank. At least I haven't seen any of the coral-eating asterinas in here (knock on wood). The goby got moved in here to try to handle the little turkeys. PS Happy Thanksgiving!

Whoops pic didn't post lol.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

A few weeks ago I snagged HUGE frags of blondies and scrambled eggs at my favorite reef shop; today, the scrambled eggs are down to ONE SINGLE POLYP. Because of freaking PODS!  I'm so mad at them lol. I moved the goby over here to try to control them. Obviously the coral-eating pods I had before have survived to continue being buttheads in this tank. At least I haven't seen any of the coral-eating asterinas in here (knock on wood). The goby got moved in here to try to handle the little turkeys. PS Happy Thanksgiving!

Whoops pic didn't post lol.

FCEDB975-48B7-48E6-8E3B-0D22A836C9B4.gif.67b6672423b6497f19cbb38bc3987828.gif

• Haha 6

If yours are the giant pods like I have I suggest using a bamboo skewer to stab them.  I have considered setting a bucket of salt water outside and dipping my rock in it while it's cold to get the little buggers to try and escape.  30 minutes of cold water shouldn't kill beneficial bacteria but could cause an algae die off.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ratvan said:

What type of Pods do you have? I've noticed an increase in my population and also my Zoas are starting to close and stay closed for much longer than usual

I'm not sure on the species name. I have larger size ones and medium ish ones that were bothering the zoas. I haven't noticed them as much since adding the goby lol. I wasn't feeding the tank before but had some hair algae which I guess was enough for the population to bloom.

6 hours ago, Wingy said:

If yours are the giant pods like I have I suggest using a bamboo skewer to stab them.  I have considered setting a bucket of salt water outside and dipping my rock in it while it's cold to get the little buggers to try and escape.  30 minutes of cold water shouldn't kill beneficial bacteria but could cause an algae die off.  

I've tried sucking them up with a pipette but the little boogers are too fast for me lol. I have some little invert life on the rock I don't want to lose but had considered a hypersaline or hyposaline/freshwater dunk lol.

• Like 1

When I selected and purchased this tank back in the spring, it was chosen largely to be big enough to house my beloved pink-streaked wrasse Merlin. When I took down the IM14 Peninsula, he disappeared within a few days and I was heartbroken.  This tank has languished over the last few months, holding only the green-banded goby and the branching GSP that @WV Reefer so kindly sent to me (well, and the hitchhiking crabs of course).

A few months ago, after watching the show Tidying Up on Netflix, I purchased Marie Kondo's book "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" on Audible and have listened to it at least four times during my commute.  I have a tendency to take on a bunch of projects and then get overwhelmed, and "reading" this book helped me realize that I've spent a lot of energy trying to upkeep things that aren't necessarily bringing me joy. Although I had high hopes for this tank when I planned it and purchased it, I haven't done anything with it in the six months it's been up and it's just been sitting there growing algae and cyano like crazy. I've spent months debating whether to leave it up and stressing over it and finally decided to take it down last week, since the goby was now on my desk anyway. I put the rocks and GSP in the old pico jar (and found I still have brittle stars in one of the rocks!) with as much of the sand as I could fit, and gave the tank a good cleaning. I'm debating whether to use it to give my betta an upgrade or just put into storage for now, but I do feel more relaxed and at peace with this decision. Half the pics I've been sharing have been from my pico on my desk anyway lol. 

So, as of Wednesday, this tank is officially "on hiatus" until such time as I have the energy and space to set it up and do it justice. I think the 7.5 bow front is a gorgeous tank and would love to see more hobbyists make use of it for a nice-sized small nano-reef. I still have the remnants of my IM14 Peninsula in the old 5.5 and there's still cyano/dinos in there so I'll need to actually focus some energy on taking care of that and hope to do that soon. Otherwise, my little desktop pico is my only "real" reef tank now, so I'll make a thread for that shortly and hope you'll all follow along on its journey.

• Like 2

I watched all of the Marie Konda series as well.  I got as far as organizing my tank tops and got overwhelmed.  After the holidays I hope to try again and organize and declutter a few more spaces, because I do love her concept.  I look forward to following along with your desktop pico reef.

• Like 1

Totally understandable! I have been working on de-cluttering for months now. Sold many many things on ebay, old videogames and collectibles and donated a bunch more. I am in the process of consolidating to just a few tanks, the big 80g reef, my cold water, and a freshwater betta tank. 

• Like 1