Cultivated Reef

SPK9's New Pico Reef 2.5 Gallon

spk9

I had been out of the reef hobby for about eight years (had a 75 gal flat back hex that was gorgeous) and wanted to get back in, but something much simpler, a smaller footprint, and less time consuming to maintain.  I was intrigued by the pico reef systems I saw on this and other sites and through why not give it a try.  I'm starting with a Dennerle 2.5 gal shrimp tank, a Fluval Nano Marine LED - bluetooth, 15 watt heater and my old reliable Hagen Luft Pump (must be 30 years old) without an airstone - just tubing output.  The tank is covered (Dennerle provides a glass top), so there is little evaporation and need to top off.  Set it up last week and started stocking this past weekend with three corals.  Will be doing a once per week full water change, and feeding with ReefRoids once a week, just before the water change.  The guys at the LFS thought I was crazy doing this without all the sumps, filters, supplements, etc., but are curious and want to see my progress in pictures over time.  Hopefully I'll have as much luck as others on the site.  I'll post more pictures shortly.

pico 1.jpg

pico 2.jpg

• Like 7

Yeah I have yet to find an LFS that understands as embraces the Pico Reef concept. But then again, it’s their job to sell you the biggest and most expensive things...lol

But the tank looks good! I always likes that shape for a small reef tank, and I like the little cave you created

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry for not getting back to your questions. Shortly after the picture above was taken I decided to change the look and go with a black sand bed. I tried CaribSea black, but found that their sand would stick to my magnetic glass cleaner. Not wanting to give up on the look, I tried Imagitarium black sand. Supposedly non-toxic and good for salt or fresh water. Religiously washed it several times in fresh water and salt, made the switch and was happy. The next morning I went to check on the tank and it was cloudy and pretty much all corals were dead - like they just rotted away. I tried to salvage some but it turned out to be a complete loss. Discouraging and aggravating to say the least. So I stripped it down and started new.  That's the next post.

• Sad 1

Here's the current set-up.

• Tank - Lifegard 4.1 gal AIO - uncovered
  • Lighting - Kessil A80 Tuna Blue with Gooseneck Mount (slides back/forth suspended from shelf above and Spectral Controller. Light is 3" above waterline
  • Circulation - Sicca Micra Plus on the lowest setting
  • ATO - FZone. I've tried several and built my own electronic controller (more on that project later) and the FZone seems to be foolproof and long running
  • Filtration - Blue/White bonded filter pads in the overflow box. Sometimes a 100 micron polishing pad for a couple of days at a time
  • Substrate - CaribSea Aragonite - a very light layer as it is easier to vacuum detritus that way
  • Corals - Mixture of softies, zoas/paly, LPS, SPS and a Rock Anemone
  • Fish - 1 small Ocellaris Clown
  • Cleaners - 4 blue legged hermits and 2 small turbos
  • Salt - Fritz Reef Pro Mix / Red (high Alk) at 35 ppm
  • Purple Up - 5 drops per day
  • Brightwell Coral Aminos - 5 drops per day
  • Temp Controller - Bayite set to 78.5 degrees with +/- 0.3 degrees for heating and cooling
  • Heating - Boxtech 50W set to shut off at 79 degrees as a failsafe
  • Cooling - 120 mm fan blowing across top of water
  • Feeding - Reef Roids spot fed about 3 times per week
  • Feeding - Frozen brine and mysis shrimp fed every other day to fish and LPS
  • Water Changes - 100% each change, done either weekly or every other week. I try to do weekly, but if other plans get in the way I can skip a week. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, etc. always at target levels. No green algae on glass or rocks that the cleaner crew doesn't easily remove

Let me know if you have any questions.

PXL_20220507_170601826.jpg

• Like 5

It is healthy. Took 6 Duncan, 2 hammer, 1 Favia, and 1 Rock Anemone frags to the LFS last week. That's the one problem with picos, no room to grow. 

Would love to have a 75 flat back hex again, but I just don't have the time.

• Like 1