ReefCleaners.org

Lighting questions

knox_legend

knox_legend

So in trying to determine lighting for my 40 breeder I’m constantly going back and forth over lighting choices.

Right now I’m looking at a viparspectra 300w led which is 31” long and will have no problems covering the 36” length of the breeder. The other light I’m considering is the SB reeflights extreme WiFi 18” which according to their faq will be enough to cover the breeder but I’m worried about dark spots on the end. I really like the ability to control things from my phone which is a big plus. 

Im trying to keep my budget in the $300 range and I understand with led it’s usually you get what you pay for, but I’m not quite ready to drop radion or kessil money yet either. So am I over thinking things? Does anyone have experience with either of these lights or are there other lights I should be considering? 

Thanks 🍻

knox_legend

I’ve looked at both of those and don’t know why I didn’t list them. I guess I’m hung up on the WiFi ability of the extreme. 

Yeah, IDK that WiFi is all that critical.  Sure, it's nice to have, but I'd personally rather have a fixture that covers more of the tank.  Bang for the buck.

knox_legend

I think that’s probably a better way to look at it, and I suppose WiFi won’t make anything grow any better than timers. 

• Like 1