Top Shelf Aquatics

How to redo reef tank

PaulKendrick

PaulKendrick

Hi everyone,

I'm somewhat of a beginner to the reefkeeping hobby and I've had a 10 gallon tank with a hang on the back filter and kessil light. I have fish inverts and lots of coral. The issue is that I'm not happy with my current scape, coral locations, coral selections and what the actual tank looks like. I want to save my fish and inverts but sell about 1/4 of my coral and make a natural themed tank. I just don't know how to. The plan is to start a new tank in an IM Nuvo 10 and once it's ready for fish I'll transfer my livestock and the fancy kessil light to the tank and I'll take down the old one. Does anyone have suggestions?

• Like 2
WV Reefer
12 minutes ago, PaulKendrick said:

Hi everyone,

I'm somewhat of a beginner to the reefkeeping hobby and I've had a 10 gallon tank with a hang on the back filter and kessil light. I have fish inverts and lots of coral. The issue is that I'm not happy with my current scape, coral locations, coral selections and what the actual tank looks like. I want to save my fish and inverts but sell about 1/4 of my coral and make a natural themed tank. I just don't know how to. The plan is to start a new tank in an IM Nuvo 10 and once it's ready for fish I'll transfer my livestock and the fancy kessil light to the tank and I'll take down the old one. Does anyone have suggestions?

Just take your time. 😊 Research exactly what you want to accomplish this time around. Trade or sell the corals you do not want and make the change. 

• Like 2
billygoat

I'd say the most important part of the process will be having a well-organized plan from the get-go. What do you mean by a "natural-themed" tank? Do you want it to look more true-to-life, with a regional theme instead of a mixed reef? Or do you want it to simply be less complex, with less equipment and fewer moving parts? I advise you to establish a clear vision of what you want the new tank to turn into before you break down your current system. Maybe make a written list of things you want to include, take inventory of equipment you want to add or remove, or even draw up an actual diagram of the tank as you want it to be. Without careful planning you are likely to just end up dissatisfied again, so be sure to take your time and think hard on what you want your tank to become!

Post a couple pics of the tank, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice/opinions on scape and coral placement.  

A view of the front and top down.