Top Shelf Aquatics

Jared’s 40b - new light update

ef4life

52 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

loving the old mh!!

It still works so I figured don’t fix what ain’t broke. None of the led moonlights work anymore but the shrooms  are all super happy with just 70watts

• Like 1

I’m setting up my 40 breeder right now with 400 watt mh/led/t5  🤯

I looked for 70 watt mh for my pico and couldn’t find anything anymore

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Nothing new so here’s my Yuma’s getting some dinner in the 29

And the feeding frenzy in the 40

Nice video. 😊

I swear my Chromis would eat till they explode if I would let them..... Biggest pigs I’ve ever had. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Nice video. 😊

I swear my Chromis would eat till they explode if I would let them..... Biggest pigs I’ve ever had. 

And they never get a big belly It’s all that cardio from non stop swimming I guess. The blenny looks like fat Albert after he eats, his gut looks like it’s going to explode.

• Haha 2

Uhhhh so I made out my list of things to do on my tanks for my friend who is going to take care of them when I’m gone on vacation, gone for over 2 weeks. I’m so worried I haven’t ever been away from my tanks more than 4 days ever. And it’s summer now so I’m worried about the ac dying or power going out. 😐 Vacations aren’t supposed to be stressful 

• Haha 1

First pic I’ve ever been able to get of the green clown goby, and it’s not even a good one - you can barely see him peaking out from the base of the candy canes. He has been coming out more lately hopefully he starts staying in the open more.

414242247.jpg

You can kind of see the giant gut full of mysis on the blenny. 

414242245.jpg

found this little guy on the sand and glued it to a plug. Any ideas? Looks sort of like a baby Yuma? It’s probably 3mm across.

414242246.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Been quite a while since I updated this. After I went on vacation this summer, I was out of the routine and really slacked in my maintenance and dosing/testing. And I was really busy with work doing 7 days a week for a time. Sadly the tank did suffer. No fish losses at all, the 6 chromis are all getting along, starry blenny is still happy and fat. My clowns are just fine. The green clown goby has started to come out in the open at feeding time.

My candy cane colonies died back big time, I started to basically lose all my lps corals, blastos, euphyllia, all 3 candy cane colors, and my acans. But my purple and red monti caps both have been fine and growing. All the soft corals are fine.

I never took pictures of everything in the worst state, The picture were taken a few days ago, everything’s been in recovery now since I’ve been back in schedule with my maintenance and dosing for the last few weeks. Lots of growth on the purple monti which never died back.

I did get some new corals earlier this week, I will post up pics later if I have time after the water change tonight.

F0042086-93E5-43D2-8884-380753EF4906.jpeg

34679D4E-AD05-4F97-9B10-927E895008B6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyday the tank is starting to look a little better on the regrowth of the lps. I started using vibrant about 5 weeks back now, so far it’s doing what it claims, I’ve had less algae growing and the bubble algae outbreak I had is slowly receding. No negative effects at all, I did just slightly up my dose this last week from 6ml once a week to 6ml on Saturdays and then 3ml on Wednesday’s. I also started using Brightwell coral amino 1ml per day with feedings, it’s only been just over a week, so no real results on if it’s helping or not. I have one tiny browned out red monti cap that’s starting to show a little more color on the edges but it’s too soon to say it’s the amino.

I missed my waterchange/cleaning this last weekend, and when I added my dose of vibrant I had noticeably less algae film on the glass a few hours later.

I also recently added 10lbs of dry rock to my sump for extra biofilter as I’ve been feeding a little more lately since the 6 chromis have grown a bit. I bought a green/purple acan, red hot chili pepper monti, red lava monti, Rasta zoa frag, Pandora paly frag. I traded some of my mushroom frags for a big hairy mushroom and a Kenya tree that’s already quadrupled in size since I got it probably about 2 months ago.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Was out and about this morning picking up some parts and I drove by a fish store I haven’t been to in years, so I decided to stop it, lots of changes since I was there last. Lots of frags for sale, nothing really special but they had Black Friday deals so I picked up a green Acro $16, green leptastrea $16, and 2 polyps of nirvana zoas for $5. After a quick dip, the zoas are still closed up but the Acro and leptastrea look pretty good under my lights so far. I kind of wish I bought more stuff now.

E855C85C-2919-4619-8A87-95F766B9FCE2.jpeg

81D50F40-01C5-48D5-A3FB-276D9E481C48.jpeg

• Like 2

Made 2 large Black Friday/ cyber Monday coral orders for both tanks. Bunch of mushrooms, zoas, Palys, sps, and my favorite corals - a bunch of ricordia florida. They probably won’t be shipped out until next week. 

ED443C94-76C1-4155-AA2C-3AD76E347DFA.jpeg

• Like 3
On 11/12/2019 at 5:22 PM, ef4life said:

Everyday the tank is starting to look a little better on the regrowth of the lps. I started using vibrant about 5 weeks back now, so far it’s doing what it claims, I’ve had less algae growing and the bubble algae outbreak I had is slowly receding. No negative effects at all, I did just slightly up my dose this last week from 6ml once a week to 6ml on Saturdays and then 3ml on Wednesday’s. I also started using Brightwell coral amino 1ml per day with feedings, it’s only been just over a week, so no real results on if it’s helping or not. I have one tiny browned out red monti cap that’s starting to show a little more color on the edges but it’s too soon to say it’s the amino.

I missed my waterchange/cleaning this last weekend, and when I added my dose of vibrant I had noticeably less algae film on the glass a few hours later.

I also recently added 10lbs of dry rock to my sump for extra biofilter as I’ve been feeding a little more lately since the 6 chromis have grown a bit. I bought a green/purple acan, red hot chili pepper monti, red lava monti, Rasta zoa frag, Pandora paly frag. I traded some of my mushroom frags for a big hairy mushroom and a Kenya tree that’s already quadrupled in size since I got it probably about 2 months ago.

things are looking good in there. 😊

• Thanks 1

New corals today!!! Got my order from vivid aquariums, everything looks good and healthy.

Neon spongodes montipora

Birds of paradise

green slimer

Blue green tort

plumberry

Pink birdsnest

Hawaiian zoas

purple death paly

Orange bam bam zoas 

42AE0A88-D564-4246-81B9-3DDCE113F0F6.jpeg

9115EAAC-59C3-4EDF-B82F-5F5455BC0CEF.jpeg

Just traded a bunch of mushroom frags for 7 zoas frags one loose polyp I had to glue onto another frag. All unknown to me what they will look like when opened. Seller didn’t have any good pics. 

And the reefbreeder light light on the 40 is having some issues as of last night. The blue moon lights are constantly flickering on/off. So I have an email out to them to see if I can get parts/repair this thing. If I end up replacing it not sure what I’m going to do yet.

4AA25E4F-044E-46FB-9768-2EB7868B61B4.jpeg

• Like 1

I got my last order from Black Friday in from cultivated reef, they delayed shipping due to weather which was fine with me - healthy living corals is always better than rushing them out as fast as orders come in. A+++ in my book. Everything arrived healthy. 

For the biocube

blue mushroom, blue rhodactus mush, Superman mush, umbrella mush.

For the 40b 

jedi mind trick Monti - grabbed that for 2.99

sunny d palys

Last but not least my favorite corals- 6 Ricordea Florida. 

1E507506-0BB4-47A7-AB87-6EC39C066451.jpeg

DC0367E3-6E6E-43D1-A1EE-F5DA7409670E.jpeg

• Wow 1

Mounted my ricordeas onto my rocks tonight, I call it ricordea ravine. It still needs more to really fill it out though.

the zoa rock is really starting to fill up, and they are growing too.

And the Clowns spawned again last night 😁

F6689F7E-E0A4-4338-AD49-308E454DBEAA.jpeg

ED60DE3C-2A44-4DDC-8597-4F36C5BBBD71.jpeg

• Like 1

Ulva algae is starting to take a hold in the display. Seems like the vibrant dosing is not doing anything to the Ulva, I had to trash my chaeto this week since it was dying. I’m going to cut back on some of the feeding/amino acids I put in everyday. I feed pellets from an auto feeder once a day, 1 cube of frozen, 1 scoop if reef chili and a scoop of reef blizzard, 1ml of amino acid. I think I’m going to do the reef chili/ blizzard 2x a week not daily. Maybe cut back on the amino a bit to .5ml a day 

anyways besides the algae, everything seems to be growing. I picked up some more corals - avfrag of some zoas, a mushroom and a cool acro at the lfs, zoas are yellow/green but haven’t all opened up yet, mushier is like a white/yellow iridescent color I haven’t been able to get any decent pictures of them yet.

acro is sort of pale pinkish/brown with highlighter yellow polyps. 

87655DA4-9F7E-4EF6-9500-6E3808253ABF.png

Had a good 5 year run with the ReefBreeders photon v1, lost the moonlights a few weeks back, last night I just lost my blue channel, so I only have whites left. I’ve been wanting to upgrade anyways just not right this minute so this put me in to buy a new light right now mode and screw the cost.

so I just bought This bad boy - I’m excited. 

Got the light hung up yesterday, tried my hand at programming the light on the Orphek app. It’s a little difficult to use but once you figure it out it’s not too bad. I wish there was a demo mode for the program you build to see it run through, then half of the time values are in military time, but you program with a 12hr am/pm time, confusing. As for the color spectrum, all channels 100% it’s a nice bright light blue, and it’s bright, it seems brighter on 1% than the old reef breeder at 100%, of course 156 leds vs 48 is a major upgrade. I think it’s going to be a good light for the long term. The soectrum really makes the blue chromis look good, the blue really pops in person 

today the water is really cloudy, I think the new light may have caused a bacterial bloom or something. Fish and corals don’t seem to mind though. I cleaned the glass and changed the filters today, I’ll do a water change in the morning if it’s still cloudy.