Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mantis shrimp in 7.5 gallon?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
36 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

"Brother"...sure... 

I mean, that's just what my "friend" thinks... 

I don’t know what you mean by this, but I promise you that my brother is actually wanting this. I may want it a bit also, but he wants it mostly😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

If you guys don’t think that it should be a mantis tank, then what should I do? It’s almost finished cycling and it has 3 blue legged hermits in it so far? Should I just tell my brother that the mantis idea won’t work? We could just go back to the old idea of it being a crab tank I guess. He likes crabs and other inverts a lot

I dont want to tear it down whenever it’s almost cycled

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here is the tank as of right now. I was going to get the pvc pipe and more sand tonight, but now I don’t know what to do?

FBF573F5-B39B-443E-AE0A-449CEC922354.jpeg

A50930A2-775A-40CA-9C88-E6F9FF6E2CE7.jpeg

36 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

If you guys don’t think that it should be a mantis tank, then what should I do? It’s almost finished cycling and it has 3 blue legged hermits in it so far? Should I just tell my brother that the mantis idea won’t work? We could just go back to the old idea of it being a crab tank I guess. He likes crabs and other inverts a lot

I dont want to tear it down whenever it’s almost cycled

I'd leave it running. It's always good to have a backup tank. 

I like the scape and the tank itself actually. 

Quick question do you share equipment?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
47 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'd leave it running. It's always good to have a backup tank. 

I like the scape and the tank itself actually. 

Quick question do you share equipment?

I have not shared any equipment yet. I would like to, but I don’t have many people who own reefs around here

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, ValerieR said:

Do you have a filter on that tank? I only see a heater and powerhead.

No, no filter. I have a filter I could use, but I was thinking about running it as a wavemaker and live rock tank.

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

No, no filter. I have a filter I could use, but I was thinking about running it as a wavemaker and live rock tank.

That's probably the best idea. Worst case scenario you could remove the LR and hermits for an "instant" QT

Sand also

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That's probably the best idea. Worst case scenario you could remove the LR and hermits for an "instant" QT

Sand also

Yea, I’m getting more live sand from my LFS to populate the tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I may continue with the mantis shrimp, or just keep my pest tank idea like originally. If all else fails, it will be a qt tank

kimberbee
22 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I may continue with the mantis shrimp, or just keep my pest tank idea like originally. If all else fails, it will be a qt tank

What about your brother?? 

EfrainChicagoDeepdish
22 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Now you've done it.  You messed up your pronouns.  What you meant to say is your brother may continue with the mantis shrimp.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

What about your brother?? 

I’m sorry, it’s just that I’m getting caught up in the whole tank. It’s his tank(kinda our tank, bc I’m helping him with it), I just got excited. 

8 minutes ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Now you've done it.  You messed up your pronouns.  What you meant to say is your brother may continue with the mantis shrimp.  

We will continue with the mantis shrimp, bc I’m helping. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I meant remove the sand for a QT

Oh, I didn’t know you were supposed to remove it? That’s if I make a qt

31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, I didn’t know you were supposed to remove it? That’s if I make a qt

Yeah bare tank with poly pipe hides.

Sand, rock, etc will absorb the medication 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Yeah bare tank with poly pipe hides.

Sand, rock, etc will absorb the medication 

Ok, well if I make a qt, I know what to do now. We are also considering buying uncured live rock from kp aquatics to start up a hitchhikers tank. 

kimberbee

Dude, you're excited about the hobby and that's great. But people have weighed in and most agree you need to cool your jets. Bumping with multiple questions isn't going to get you much of a new answer. 

If this tank is truly for your brother, what better way for him to learn than by making his own account and doing some of his own research? You can HELP, but you shouldn't be doing all the work for him. Otherwise you'll end up takimg care of everything and it'll be like having two tanks. You still need to get your head wrapped around the first one. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Dude, you're excited about the hobby and that's great. But people have weighed in and most agree you need to cool your jets. Bumping with multiple questions isn't going to get you much of a new answer. 

If this tank is truly for your brother, what better way for him to learn than by making his own account and doing some of his own research? You can HELP, but you shouldn't be doing all the work for him. Otherwise you'll end up takimg care of everything and it'll be like having two tanks. You still need to get your head wrapped around the first one. 

He’s only in middle school, so he’s obviously gonna need help. But all he wants is inverts. He doesn’t even care if they are bad ones. He doesn’t even have a phone, he can’t create an account. And I’m fine with helping, it’s literally no more work for me. I have a ton of free time right now. All I have to do is check the params for him and that’s it. He knows how to measure salinity and do water changes. Don’t worry about me. It’s not stressful and I kinda like it. It gives me something to do. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

Lol. Ethan this will be the fall of you. Your profile and thread will become a ghost town. 

#rip

I just really don’t understand why people have such problems with me? I know I’ve had a bunch of problems, but it’s looking way better now. I’ve seen worse tanks than mine? And they have more than one tank? I just don’t understand why I get so much hate

CD_Scapes
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just really don’t understand why people have such problems with me? I know I’ve had a bunch of problems, but it’s looking way better now. I’ve seen worse tanks than mine? And they have more than one tank? I just don’t understand why I get so much hate

I think it’s because you get advice and then throw it away by doing what you think should be done. Also creating lots of topics with new questions is over saturation of forum and less people are likely to respond if you create tons of new threads (trust me I’ve done it before)

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, 9darlingcalvi said:

I think it’s because you get advice and then throw it away by doing what you think should be done. Also creating lots of topics with new questions is over saturation of forum and less people are likely to respond if you create tons of new threads (trust me I’ve done it before)

I haven’t created a many new topics on this forum just for this reason. The last one that I made was this mantis shrimp one. I usually just post everything in my journal now. I used to create a bunch of unnecessary topics, but now I create one like every 2 weeks, sometimes not even that. And I haven’t been throwing stuff away anymore. I have done everything people have said. This is the only thing that I’m really not listening to, bc I feel like we can do this tank. I have me and my brother working on it. 2 is better than one.