EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Mantis shrimp in 7.5 gallon?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I have a question? I gave my brother my other tank that I had laying around and he wants to transform it into a mantis tank. Which mantis would fit in a tank that size? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He is going to add some pvc pipe later this weekend for the shrimp. He is almost done with the cycle of the tank. He used live rock from my LFS to cycle the tank and sand from the display tank at my LFS. We still do not own a rodi unit, so he’s just using distilled water for now.

He only has one decent sized blue legged hermit in the tank as of right now. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

We asked our LFS to see if they could get a mantis in stock, but they need to know what kind we want? 

Also, do we have everything we need to care for a mantis? PVC pipe, a deep sand bed and about 5 pounds of live rock.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

We just have a cheap aqueon light on the tank. We didn’t need the most expensive lighting, so we just used that. He has one wavemaker in the tank, but it’s not very powerful. Maybe 100gph, maybe less. And a glass heater from our LFS meant for a 20 gallon tank. No filter

Raindog3030

I've kept a small mantis for over a year now in a 7 gallon cube, check out my thread in my signature.

Personally, I think the PVC pipe in the system is tacky and useless, I find it better to use a large rock for the base of your 'scape so the mantis can build his own tunnels.

Mine has worked and reworked his tunnel network several times over the last year+.

Good luck!

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

I've kept a small mantis for over a year now in a 7 gallon cube, check out my thread in my signature.

Personally, I think the PVC pipe in the system is tacky and useless, I find it better to use a large rock for the base of your 'scape so the mantis can build his own tunnels.

Mine has worked and reworked his tunnel network several times over the last year+.

Good luck!

Thank you😁

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, Raindog3030 said:

Good luck!

I love your mantis, he’s so cute😍

• Thanks 1

ValerieR

I have one in my evo 13.5, a pseudosquilla ciliata, and he's a spearer. Smashers like the live rock for DIY caves, spearers want a sand cave (I buried PVC). I have 2 big turbo snails, a sand sifting star, and 2 threadfin cardinals (in case he gets hungry). He hides a good portion of the day, so I'm going full reef with mine to give me something to look at. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, ValerieR said:

I have one in my evo 13.5, a pseudosquilla ciliata, and he's a spearer. Smashers like the live rock for DIY caves, spearers want a sand cave (I buried PVC). I have 2 big turbo snails, a sand sifting star, and 2 threadfin cardinals (in case he gets hungry). He hides a good portion of the day, so I'm going full reef with mine to give me something to look at. 

What would you recommend? A spearer or a smasher? The tank is made of a reef safe plastic. It’s as if this tank was made for a smasher😂

Matteo

Ethan. No. 

Sorry but you're not ready. Not even close. They need super stable tanks and having a stable 7.5g is difficult. 

Sorry but no. 

• Like 2

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
43 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Ethan. No. 

Sorry but you're not ready. Not even close. They need super stable tanks and having a stable 7.5g is difficult. 

Sorry but no. 

It’s not mine if you read above. It’s my brothers, I’m just trying to help him out with it. He’s only kept freshwater tanks, and the only reason he started a saltwater tank was bc of the mantis shrimp. So I was going to help him. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

46 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

Ethan. No. 

Sorry but no. 

And from what I’ve read, they do not require super stable tanks? Everywhere that I search says that they are easy to keep besides being tank breakers and thumb splitters?

Can anyone else back me up here?

pgrVII
13 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

And from what I’ve read, they do not require super stable tanks? Everywhere that I search says that they are easy to keep besides being tank breakers and thumb splitters?

Can anyone else back me up here?

They do require a stable tank dont know why thats a questionable thing. And how old is the person caring for it? You haven't done that much research, as most will say breaking glass isnt really a concern. I also remember your asking this same question a few months ago but for you not your brother.

One thing at a time dude.

• Like 5

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
34 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

They do require a stable tank dont know why thats a questionable thing. And how old is the person caring for it? You haven't done that much research, as most will say breaking glass isnt really a concern. I also remember your asking this same question a few months ago but for you not your brother.

One thing at a time dude.

I know the tank has to be stable, but it doesn’t have to be perfect. I read on a lot of websites selling them that they are easy to take care of. My brother is 15. I have done quite a bit of research. I know that most of the time they can’t break a tank unless you are pestering it, or it keeps hitting the same spot more than once. Their punch is as powerful as a .22 bullet. I was interested in it, I still am. I just got my brother into it so I won’t have to do as much work with the tank, bc he will be doing a lot. This tank is absolutely no stress on me whatsoever. I gave my brother the tank, it’s his problem and responsibility. I’m just going to help him out and give him tips along the way.

He’s cycling right now and everything is going pretty good for him. If I can get a pick of it, I will. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve done my research and read the mantis shrimp care forum on nano reef. They even said that they are incredibly hardy creatures, it’s just that you have to make sure you acclimate them correctly.

“While mantids are extremely hardy, it is always preferred that they, like all reef invertebrates, undergo an extended acclimation period. The drip method works well to make sure that they are slowly adjusted to the aquarium and thus to limit the shock of the mantis being introduced to a new system.”

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The main problem people see with mantis shrimp is that they are easily susceptible to shell rot. Everything else says that they are very hardy and will accept a wide range of water quality’s 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Trust me, this is something that I actually did a lot of research on before considering buying it

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Another quote about mantis shrimp:  “Their survival skills are up there with Bear Grylls.”

“Unceremoniously uprooted with a piece of rock, packaged in a dry box, subject to changes of temperature, and exposed to horrendous water in a curing tank — mantids have frequently endured all of that without so much as a shrug.”

pgrVII

Ok,well we've all been down the "trust Ethan"path,but thats cool.  Sure it's his responsibility but,hows he supposed to get stuff to take care of the shrimp? Also,yea some can accept a wide range of parameters but that doesnt mean you should subject them to it.🤙

• Like 1

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Ok,well we've all been down the trust ethan path,but thata cool.  Sure it's his responsibility but,hows he supposed to get stuff to take care of the shrimp? Also,yea some can accept a wide range of parameters but that doesnt mean you should subject them to it.🤙

Yes I know. He knows how to take care of it. He will get a knew clean up crew whenever it needs replenished and we have bamboo sticks that we will use to feed him scallops and mysis.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m not saying that we are going to put in a tank that is not stable and horrible? He was going to try to keep this tank as nice as possible and learning from the mistakes I made

pgrVII
11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not saying that we are going to put in a tank that is not stable and horrible? He was going to try to keep this tank as nice as possible and learning from the mistakes I made

Do what ya want man. 🤷‍♂️

Matteo
42 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes I know. He knows how to take care of it. He will get a knew clean up crew whenever it needs replenished and we have bamboo sticks that we will use to feed him scallops and mysis

It's not a good animal to learn with. To be frank no animal should subject to a learning curve by it's provider. If what you say is true I still don't think it's a good idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matteo

I mean you said you are gonna feed it mysis shrimp... I don't think that is a staple at all for them 

• Like 3

kimberbee

"Brother"...sure... 

I mean, that's just what my "friend" thinks... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2