Cultivated Reef

Buying 2nd Hand Frags

Ratvan

Greetings all,

Need a little help. So I have been shopping for frags on a budget and tracked down a reefer on Gumtree.

Popped round his to see some of his Zoas and they were transparent. 

They're all labelled different but they all appear for lack of a better word transparent or severely bleached. Now he says that they were on the bottom and moved up to the top to make room and they've been bleached since. 

I still want to buy some frags, mainly due to price. I've asked to take a sample of water when/if I buy and hes offered to send photo as well so happy there. 

My tank stays in the 77-82 range and think I'm now getting on top of the water change schedule to keep prams stable

Apart from the dipping is there anything else I should consider before pulling the trigger, buying a few and just seeing what happens over time?

Supplements I have and can test for all, cal etc at LFS for "mates rates"

• Like 2

Expect the worst - if the corals look horrible in his tank, chances are they will look bad in yours. Never expect any recovery.

I personally would not take the risk unless the frags were priced accordingly or free.

• Like 1

I've purchased bleached corals, even corals in bad shape. Depending on the coral depends on the recovery.

I will only buy rescue corals if they are dirt cheap because its hit and miss if they will recover.

Keeping corals, definitely should have testers at home. Relying on the store isn't helpful if you need answers at any given time.

I test alk 2 times a week and phos weekly, it's been very helpful having the kits at home.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Expect the worst - if the corals look horrible in his tank, chances are they will look bad in yours. Never expect any recovery.

I personally would not take the risk unless the frags were priced accordingly or free.

They're priced well in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I've purchased bleached corals, even corals in bad shape. Depending on the coral depends on the recovery.

I will only buy rescue corals if they are dirt cheap because its hit and miss if they will recover.

Keeping corals, definitely should have testers at home. Relying on the store isn't helpful if you need answers at any given time.

I test alk 2 times a week and phos weekly, it's been very helpful having the kits at home.

Yes really cheap, 4x Frags (Multi heads 3-5) for £5. 

The Test Kit is on the way, arriving between May 6th and May 22nd..... seems like i ordered from China again 

• Like 1
On 5/2/2019 at 1:25 AM, Ratvan said:

They're priced well in my opinion.

Yes really cheap, 4x Frags (Multi heads 3-5) for £5. 

The Test Kit is on the way, arriving between May 6th and May 22nd..... seems like i ordered from China again 

For that price,go for it! Just dont poke 'em....lol  omgomgomg

Expect them to die or never regain color...if they do, thats a win!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would buy them if they are open and look okay otherwise, cheap rescue corals are fun... you never know what they might turn into. 

The only downside to rescue corals is the move to a new tank is stressful and they are already compromised so sometimes you lose some along the way. Zoa's are pretty hardy though, I would have some iodine on hand, I have always had great like saving zoa's with a iodine based dip. Seems to treat infections and give them a little boost. 

They may take many weeks or more to recover. 

Familiarize yourself with zoa pox and zoa spiders so you know what to look for. Be sure they are not actively melting... (usually closed, white-ish or fuzzy with skinny necks).

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I would buy them if they are open and look okay otherwise, cheap rescue corals are fun... you never know what they might turn into. 

The only downside to rescue corals is the move to a new tank is stressful and they are already compromised so sometimes you lose some along the way. Zoa's are pretty hardy though, I would have some iodine on hand, I have always had great like saving zoa's with a iodine based dip. Seems to treat infections and give them a little boost. 

They may take many weeks or more to recover. 

Familiarize yourself with zoa pox and zoa spiders so you know what to look for. Be sure they are not actively melting... (usually closed, white-ish or fuzzy with skinny necks).

I have a Kent Reef Kit that contains iodine, I take it I'd need another form of iodine for the dip? 

I might have a spider in the back up as well as maybe aiptasia or a baby rock anemone that I managed to spot before penny, I need to see myself what happens. Advise is appreciated however. 

16 hours ago, MetaTank said:

For that price,go for it! Just dont poke 'em....lol  omgomgomg

Expect them to die or never regain color...if they do, thats a win!

Ha I make no promises ☝️💥🏥

Nah in seriousness you made some good points and I'm trying to improve my reefkeeping practise