Top Shelf Aquatics

Help Planning a Crab Tank?

bomerst

Hey All!

I've had my Fluval 13.5 up and running for 4 months now, and have absolutely fallen in love with he hobby, and like many of you am thinking of adding a second tank.  But this one it a bit weird: I am thinking of a crab-only tank.  I got talked into picking up an arrow crab by the owner of my LFS, and while I think he is the coolest guy ever as I do research it looks like he may be a danger to my tank.  Not wanting to get rid of him, however, I started thinking of giving him his own tank.  And with that idea, one thing led to another, and I had this crazy idea pop into my head:

My idea is to set up a 20g long, and run it FOWLR (except crabs instead of fish. COWLR?).  I want to plumb it into my other tank so they share the water supply, and both become a bit more stable.  I want a large and mostly open sandbed, with a few rock outcroppings to add interest and hiding spots.  As far as livestock goes, predictably its mostly crabs:

Centerpiece Livestock:

A Giant Hermit Crab.

A Horseshoe Crab.

Other Crabs:

Electric Blue Hermits

Arrow Crab

Decorator Crab

Fiddler Crabs (if I can work out some dry land for them)

Non-Crabs:

Sea Urchins

Maybe a fighting conch or a cowrie?

I do have a few concerns about this kind of setup: first, does anyone know how well crabs get along with each other?  I searched the forums and couldn't find any info on a tank like this.  Second, is plumbing into my main tank a bad idea?  Third, would I need to worry about additional clean up crew?  I assume all the crabs would murder any snail that set foot in the tank, so they are not an option.  Any other critiques or suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

• Like 2

TBH, I'm not completely sure.  However, I think it might work with some limitations (like without your centerpiece choices).  Those two would require a huge aquarium.  If you stick to crabs like smaller hermits, emerald crabs, porcelain crabs, decorator crabs, strawberry crabs, pom pom crabs, etc. you might even be able to keep snails.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

You might be able to keep the giant hermit, but no way you could keep the horseshoe crab. They require big tanks

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I would consider not going with a conch or cowrie. If it’s mostly a crab tank. A lot of crabs would pick on them to the point of killing them. I’ve had emerald crabs pick on them so much that it nearly killed my tiger conch. I even have a moderately good sized zebra hermit that picks on the conch all the time.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m still considering doing this. Soon I’m considering getting my second tank that I have laying around the house to begin cycling. I thought an all crab tank or a hitchhiker/pest tank would be kinda awesome. I would include crabs that no one wants. Things that are considered pests or naughty crabs. Was also just considering turning it into a mantis tank, who knows what I’ll do🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m still considering doing this. Soon I’m considering getting my second tank that I have laying around the house to begin cycling. I thought an all crab tank or a hitchhiker/pest tank would be kinda awesome. I would include crabs that no one wants. Things that are considered pests or naughty crabs. Was also just considering turning it into a mantis tank, who knows what I’ll do🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I really like the idea of the tank: it kind of has the same appeal as dinosaurs did when we were kids!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  As I have looked into it the horseshoe crab is outright out, as is the cowrie and conch.

• Like 2

You could consider a Terrestrial Hermit? I had two of those in a 20G Long when I was little, it was brilliant.

Or Fiddler Crabs are fun to watch

Probably wont help with stability though...

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
31 minutes ago, bomerst said:

Yeah, I really like the idea of the tank: it kind of has the same appeal as dinosaurs did when we were kids!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  As I have looked into it the horseshoe crab is outright out, as is the cowrie and conch.

Overall, I think it’s a great idea and I hope it works out great for you. When it get it started, start a journal. I want to be following along👍.

• Like 1