haks

New Tank - Planning Phase

haks

Hello everyone,

I'm looking at starting a new Tank and would like everyone's suggestions and insights. I have been in and out of the hobby a good 15 years; currently running an old NanoCube that I have grown tired of.

I would like to keep this new tank simple as possible. Not looking to do anything other than daily feedings and routine water changes. Stock will consist of softies and some LPS...might try an anemone. For sure a goby/pistol shrimp pair, skunk cleaner or two, and a fish or two for the upper water column, pair of purple firefish or clowns if I do an anemone. 

This is where I currently stand with equipment choices:

• IM Nuvo Fusion Pro Peninsula 20
  • IM APS Cabinet Stand
  • NanoBox Duo Plus M
  • Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0  Only if stock MightyJet sucks
  • AI Nero 5 Wave Maker
  • AutoAqua Auto Water Changer +ATO
  • Eheim Jager 100W Heater
  • Probe Thermometer

I'm open to any suggestions except the tank lol. I've been wanting to do a peninsula style tank for a while and I really like the IM 20. Open to suggestions for everything else. I've used Ebo and Eheim Jagers without issue but if there's something out there better let me know; maybe with WiFi?. Have ran first gen Vortech MP10 without issues so looking at trying their new offering. Love Dave's customer service with the NanoBox and the craftsmanship he puts into them. 

Think that's about it! Please drop any comments, concerns or suggestions. Would love to get the tank wet come June. 

• Like 3

seabass

Sounds like a nice project.

Christopher Marks

I think you’re on the right track to build a high end nano reef system! Great gear selection. Will you keep the biocube going too or transfer in some of the livestock?

Reef Rocker

I know the new Fusion Pro's come with a new upgraded DC pump with controller for return. I was wondering what the plan for Sicce 1 was?

• Like 1

haks
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I think you’re on the right track to build a high end nano reef system! Great gear selection. Will you keep the biocube going too or transfer in some of the livestock?

I am leaning towards giving my the NanoCube to my daughter's daycare. They've suffered some fish losses lately, betta and goldfishes. Maybe a new fresh water tank and setup will help.

Current livestock in it are a Tiger pistol shrimp, small blue leg hermit crab and some snails or two. GSP and some zoas as far as corals. Will transfer everything over to the new tank.

1 hour ago, Reef Rocker said:

I know the new Fusion Pro's come with a new upgraded DC pump with controller for return. I was wondering what the plan for Sicce 1 was?

I was going to replace the stock MightyJet with the Sicce but I might play it by ear...literally. So far the biggest complaint I've heard is over the noise with the stock  MightyJet pump. Tank will be going in the living room so noise will be a concern, don't want anything too loud. Hopefully I don't have any issues with the MightyJet though, I like that it has the DC controller and saving money on the Sicce means more money for livestock.

Firefish15

Are you considering any kind of refugium or macro growth chamber?

Sounds like a fun project so far!

haks
2 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Are you considering any kind of refugium or macro growth chamber?

Sounds like a fun project so far!

Good question! I have to see what the chambers look like on these Nuvos but I highly doubt I will. Trying to keep it as simple as possible and that would be something else I would have to worry about keeping alive. I do have some small strands of chaeto growin in the display of NanoCube, maybe I'll throw that in one of the back chambers and see what happens. 🤔

Speaking of keeping it simple, does anyone have any experience with the AutoAqua automatic water changer? I was looking at ATOs and stumbled across this gem, Smart AWC touch.

You can program it to do water changes automatically, and is an ATO! CoralFish12g on YouTube did a video on it and it looks pretty legit.. Interested but then again don't know how it could work with the Nuvo chambers. I will add it to the list though! 🤪

• Like 1

Firefish15
2 hours ago, haks said:

Good question! I have to see what the chambers look like on these Nuvos but I highly doubt I will. Trying to keep it as simple as possible and that would be something else I would have to worry about keeping alive. I do have some small strands of chaeto growin in the display of NanoCube, maybe I'll throw that in one of the back chambers and see what happens. 🤔

I modded an AquaClear70 HOB filter for my 10g into a chaeto chamber, and it's been quite simple. I just have a submersible light bar on a timer for 12 hours a day (reverse from my display light). Every week or two, I rotate the chaeto and tear a chunk off. My nitrates are quite low because of it. Very little algal growth in the DT. 

haks

So last night I stumbled across a guy on YouTube who set his tank up  on a cabinet, no clue what kind..

It got me thinking about the stand IM offers which I wasn't really sold on because of the price and color. I can Plastidip it white but $300 is crazy for a stand this size.

Anyway, I found this cabinet at Target and a lot of similar ones across the web.
https://www.target.com/p/windham-2-d...3/-/A-50860826

Question is, how would I go about reinforcing this thing to hold the weight of the tank? I figure this thing will be a good 150lb+ once running.

Open to suggestions, even a new stand/cabinet idea. 

haks

Weekend update:

• I went and picked up the cabinet linked in my previous post from Target. I haven't assembled it yet but I don't think it will have any issues holding the tank. Will stand and jump on it just to make sure. $92.85 after taxes.
  • Ordered a 40lb box of Caribsea Life Rock from Amazon this morning, should have it this Friday. Came out to $3.66 a pound after taxes.
  • Also contacted IM to see when they would have the new 20g Peninsulas in-stock as their website and both BRS and MarineDepot have them as out of stock or in pre-order. They quickly replied with, "They'll be available by the end of this week and available to purchase from our site or our authorized dealers". Sweet! Will purchase from MarineDepot because they're about 30 minutes from my place and those reward points will help.

Will probably move this to the Journal section of the forum this weekend but thanks for looking!

medinar83

Curious what cabinet did you get (link wont pull it up)? im looking into the peninsula and new furniture. 

haks

Honestly if I were to do it again I would build the stand from scratch. I ended up building a frame out of 2x3s and reused the top, doors, shelves, and sides from the below cabinet.

I had assembled it and sat on it...didn't feel safe putting $1K+ worth of equipment and livestock on top of it.

GUEST_0b79920b-1253-420a-835b-1cdb052022

• Wow 1