inTank Media Baskets

Home Tank - Nope that was cracked

Ratvan

Hi Guys

So it seems I have caught the saltwater bug, having a couple of small tanks at work has provided my Mrs with an insight into "Reefing" and she loves all the little critters that come into my tank at work through the rock and spends hours with me looking at corals that I don't even buy due to my imposed Budget and size of tank. My in Law has also recently been released from hospital so she is not all that mobile, so i wanted something that could be simple for her to watch while she recovers.

If this goes well, and i don't kill too much livestock I have been given the go ahead for a larger reef. I will be asking about that when the time comes. Since I am really inexperienced with Saltwater Still I could use some pointers. 

I have a 5 Gallon Basic Tank, with hinged plastic lid, internal filter and LED Strip Lighting. Former Betta Home

Tank: L40cmx W20cmx H26cm (20L)

Filter: CF40 Internal Filter (200l/h)

Light: Stock Light. 1.5W, 6300K Temp

Not sure that this will work as I want an ultra low maintenance system at home, to prove that Saltwater isn't really all that much more complicated compared to Freshwater and especially keeping Betta Fish. My current concern is the lighting I might try and find some Actinic Blue LED Strips to mount either side of the current natural lighting as well as the flow, so I am also looking for an additional small cheap pump to get some additional flow within the tank. 

I could shuffle some things around to get a larger tank, but that is at the risk of marital issues. So a no no for now. 

Filter:  I am planning on running the above Filter with Floss and Carbon (eventually swapping out the carbon unless I frag something) I think that I want another power head/wave maker and have been looking at seeing if I can pick up a Koralia 240 Circulation Pump to aid water movement. I will also be going the route of Live Rock and a Deep Sand Bed on the tank as I love the way this looks. 

Lights: The lights on this tank has a slot that a LED Strip? Can be added. This is roughly 2x1x12cm so the LEDS that I am looking at picking up need to be this size, or I could super glue the LEDS to the canopy lid with a little chopping, I feel relatively comfortable doing this due to the distance between the maximum water level and the LEDS still has enough air to not affect temperature or evaporation too much (fingers crossed) and allow a gas exchange. 

Clean Up Crew: So She loves my Hermit Crab, I will want to add at least one of these, maybe something a little more fancy. Other then that I will do as I did previously by slowly adding CUC members due to the amount of algae that I spot within the tank, This method seems to be working out well as the current CuC's in my Pico are keeping the algae down nicely. Only a quick wipe of the glass is required now and again. I'll see what I can get again, also more comfortable with ordering livestock now my Sexies have bedded in nicely. Although they're hosting my Duncan Frag at the minute (Yep all 3!)

Livestock: Personally I do not want a fish in these tanks, I would prefer to keep it inverts and corals. However my LFS has a small collection of Gobies at the minute. I have seen a Yellow Goby, Torpedo Goby (love the look of these but think they'll get too big?) and also a Blue/Green Chromis that I really liked despite being injured (missing an eye) would the Torpedo Goby or Chromis be suitable for a 5 Gallon? I keep finding a lot of conflicting information. Also a lot of Indigo Dottybacks. I would like to perhaps pair a Goby and a Shrimp, any good shrimp recommendations to pair with a small Goby?

Corals: I find it keeps me relatively focused if i decide what I want to place within the tank and keep to the list, I have more or less done well with this so will continue. I would like to do something a little different from the Polyps, Xenia and Zoa's that I am using currently in my Pico Contest Tank. I am not going to go for movement in this tank but want to instead focus on Colours.

I WILL NOT BE ADDING ALL OF THESE, just a wishlist

• Acan Corals - Reds
  • Blasto Corals - Pinks and Blues
  • Candy Cane Corals - Neon Greens and Reds
  • Sun Corals - Oranges, Reds and Yellows

Without knowing anything about these corals, I think it would look nice to have three or four fat Candy Canes as background, with Sun Corals taking up the mid ground and the foreground being ripe with Acans and Blasto's. I have had a quick look at the stock around me and can relatively easily make a riot of colours using just the above four types. 

I will have a play with the remaining Egg Crate and see if I can't knock up a structure out of that, cover in LR Rubble and Frag plugs to fill in. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Hi Guys

So it seems I have caught the saltwater bug, having a couple of small tanks at work has provided my Mrs with an insight into "Reefing" and she loves all the little critters that come into my tank at work through the rock and spends hours with me looking at corals that I don't even buy due to my imposed Budget and size of tank. My in Law has also recently been released from hospital so she is not all that mobile, so i wanted something that could be simple for her to watch while she recovers.

If this goes well, and i don't kill too much livestock I have been given the go ahead for a larger reef. I will be asking about that when the time comes. Since I am really inexperienced with Saltwater Still I could use some pointers. 

I have a 5 Gallon Basic Tank, with hinged plastic lid, internal filter and LED Strip Lighting. Former Betta Home

Tank: L40cmx W20cmx H26cm (20L)

Filter: CF40 Internal Filter (200l/h)

Light: Stock Light. 1.5W, 6300K Temp

Not sure that this will work as I want an ultra low maintenance system at home, to prove that Saltwater isn't really all that much more complicated compared to Freshwater and especially keeping Betta Fish. My current concern is the lighting I might try and find some Actinic Blue LED Strips to mount either side of the current natural lighting as well as the flow, so I am also looking for an additional small cheap pump to get some additional flow within the tank. 

I could shuffle some things around to get a larger tank, but that is at the risk of marital issues. So a no no for now. 

Filter:  I am planning on running the above Filter with Floss and Carbon (eventually swapping out the carbon unless I frag something) I think that I want another power head/wave maker and have been looking at seeing if I can pick up a Koralia 240 Circulation Pump to aid water movement. I will also be going the route of Live Rock and a Deep Sand Bed on the tank as I love the way this looks. 

Lights: The lights on this tank has a slot that a LED Strip? Can be added. This is roughly 2x1x12cm so the LEDS that I am looking at picking up need to be this size, or I could super glue the LEDS to the canopy lid with a little chopping, I feel relatively comfortable doing this due to the distance between the maximum water level and the LEDS still has enough air to not affect temperature or evaporation too much (fingers crossed) and allow a gas exchange. 

Clean Up Crew: So She loves my Hermit Crab, I will want to add at least one of these, maybe something a little more fancy. Other then that I will do as I did previously by slowly adding CUC members due to the amount of algae that I spot within the tank, This method seems to be working out well as the current CuC's in my Pico are keeping the algae down nicely. Only a quick wipe of the glass is required now and again. I'll see what I can get again, also more comfortable with ordering livestock now my Sexies have bedded in nicely. Although they're hosting my Duncan Frag at the minute (Yep all 3!)

Livestock: Personally I do not want a fish in these tanks, I would prefer to keep it inverts and corals. However my LFS has a small collection of Gobies at the minute. I have seen a Yellow Goby, Torpedo Goby (love the look of these but think they'll get too big?) and also a Blue/Green Chromis that I really liked despite being injured (missing an eye) would the Torpedo Goby or Chromis be suitable for a 5 Gallon? I keep finding a lot of conflicting information. Also a lot of Indigo Dottybacks. I would like to perhaps pair a Goby and a Shrimp, any good shrimp recommendations to pair with a small Goby?

Corals: I find it keeps me relatively focused if i decide what I want to place within the tank and keep to the list, I have more or less done well with this so will continue. I would like to do something a little different from the Polyps, Xenia and Zoa's that I am using currently in my Pico Contest Tank. I am not going to go for movement in this tank but want to instead focus on Colours.

I WILL NOT BE ADDING ALL OF THESE, just a wishlist

• Acan Corals - Reds
  • Blasto Corals - Pinks and Blues
  • Candy Cane Corals - Neon Greens and Reds
  • Sun Corals - Oranges, Reds and Yellows

Without knowing anything about these corals, I think it would look nice to have three or four fat Candy Canes as background, with Sun Corals taking up the mid ground and the foreground being ripe with Acans and Blasto's. I have had a quick look at the stock around me and can relatively easily make a riot of colours using just the above four types. 

I will have a play with the remaining Egg Crate and see if I can't knock up a structure out of that, cover in LR Rubble and Frag plugs to fill in. 

Sounds like a solid plan.

No Chromis or Dottyback though. The Chromis need plenty of room to swim in turbulent water. Dottybacks are very mean and need plenty of space.  I would go with any type of small goby.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Sounds like a solid plan.

No Chromis or Dottyback though. The Chromis need plenty of room to swim in turbulent water. Dottybacks are very mean and need plenty of space.  I would go with any type of small goby.  

Thanks, currently have it set up pumping 50/50 water white vinegar mix to make cleaning easier. Especially on the Pump

So I have been looking around and the best that I can find are these two. I love the Torpedo "Goby" but when I type in the Scientific Name into Google it brings up Blackfin Dartfish and they grow to 5" so too large for mine, if this is the correct fish, 

Also Photo of the injured Chromis 😞

20190428_170941.jpg

20190429_121314.jpg

20190429_121308.jpg

20190429_121256.jpg

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks, currently have it set up pumping 50/50 water white vinegar mix to make cleaning easier. Especially on the Pump

So I have been looking around and the best that I can find are these two. I love the Torpedo "Goby" but when I type in the Scientific Name into Google it brings up Blackfin Dartfish and they grow to 5" so too large for mine, if this is the correct fish, 

Also Photo of the injured Chromis 😞

20190428_170941.jpg

20190429_121314.jpg

20190429_121308.jpg

20190429_121256.jpg

its a cute little tank! 🙂 

The yellow goby would work great because they like to perch on the rocks.

• Thanks 1

So thread on hold due to inlaw going back into hospital. 

I'll put this in here before I forget. Borrowed from another forum. I'm bound to ask what's wrong with this at some point

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Occupants? What kind?

How long has the tank been set up?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed? How much?

Maintenance:
Before Issue how often did you perform a water change? 
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has the appearance changed?
How has the behavior changed?
Is it still eating?
Have you started treating? If so, how?
How long have you owned your it? 
Was it ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

CLEAR PHOTO

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

Wow. 3 tanks in a matter of a few weeks.  I likey.  

Yeah but I cannot see this one getting salty anytime soon, so instead I am using the time to build up a resource of the items that I need. For example I saw someone had mounted a RODI unit on a board for storage, one of the current arguments about the "New" tank is saltwater is expensive. Yes it is, especially if you're buying items for only a 2.5G Pico. So I will be looking into a RODI unit at some point in the near future. I can also sell it presentation style....

Her; "What about water, you need that every week"

Me: Flips round RODI Board "TaaaDaaaa!"

I'm also really not happy about the state of the "Live Rock" that I have available to me, it seems to be working really well for filtration but for me it is so bland looking. The colours are nice when they develop it is the shape of the rocks themselves that are disappointing me. I have tracked down some rock that I like online (Key Largo Flat Cut Rock), but will still see what I can find locally for cheaper. I would want probably 5 kg of this and could do a back wall, stacks, shelves etc. Many more options for aquascaping I feel over the usual Caribsea Live Rock.

Corals

Sadly this will not be "my" tank, as much as I say it is. But I do have a good idea of the Corals that my Mother in Law likes as well as colours. This tank will be mostly viewable from her bedside at either eye level (if she's sitting) or from below (laying down - roughly 50% viewable) so I want to pay attention to the top 1/3 - 2/3 of the tank as this can be seen from almost any angle. Hence me looking at the flat, stacking rocks as I can build up the colours and movement.

Duncans: 

I absolutely love the way that Anemones look within the Aquarium, however I don't that I could honestly handle one. So I started looking for Corals that looked similar and stumbled across these. I have managed to track down about 4 different types/morphs/strains that I can get for not too expensive. Also with Dubncans I do not need to worry so much about sweeper tentacles. 

• Karratha Duncan (Micro/Small Heads)
  • Radioactive Stemmed Ultra 
  • Radioactive Stemmed Blue Veined Ultra
  • Radioactive Stemmed Long Lashed Duncan

So the above will provide the movement within the tank, initially thinking of making a couple of mixed colonies near the top (in strong-ish flows) so now looking for colours that will pop

Blastomusa

Probably the most colourful things that I have seen locally that I feel I could manage within the tank, apart from Zoas which will likely go into this as well once I start Fragging the office pico

• Purple Blue Rimmed
  • Toxic Centred Blood Red
  • Toxic Centred Lilac Rim
  • Burgundy Blue Rimmed Neon Centre
  • Toxic Centred Purple and Burgundy
  • Tri Colour (Orange, Pink, Neon)
  • Tri Colour Ultra Red, Lime and Purple

Zoanthids

I love these, my favourite coral type by far. I have some Frags of certain named varieties and would like to get some more. I already own

• MOC Hot Sapphires (Blue/Reds)
  • MOC Cool Citrine (Orange/Blue/Green)
  • Electric Apple Palthoa (Dark Green and White Centre)
  • MOC Ring of Fire (Red/Pink/Blue)
  • Radio Active Dragon Eyes (Neon Green)

And I want to pick up some more named Zoas, particularly(under £5 per Frag - 4 heads max)

• Golden Silk Palythoa (Metallic Green/Yellow)
  • MOC Sapphire Sky (Blue/Yellow/Green)
  • MOC Winter Warmers (Red/Blue/Purple)
  • MOC Pink Flares (Red/Blue/Pink)
  • MOC Blue Tequila (Green/Ywllow/Blue)
  • MOC Yellow Clementine (Yellow/Orange/Green)
  • Zoa Lucky Dip Pack (10 Frags for £30) - I really enjoy watching my Sump Zoas develop and is a great deal of fun watching them grow and colour so that I can attempt to name them from descriptions online
Jesterrace

The Yellow Goby is in fact a Yellow Clown Goby and I agree that would be perfect as the only fish in that 5 gallon tank.  They have wonderful personalities and like to perch and be out and actually have behavior somewhat similar to a clownfish (minus the ultra territorial aggression).  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jesterrace said:

The Yellow Goby is in fact a Yellow Clown Goby and I agree that would be perfect as the only fish in that 5 gallon tank.  They have wonderful personalities and like to perch and be out and actually have behavior somewhat similar to a clownfish (minus the ultra territorial aggression).  

Yes I know, had to check up. I've been watching him over the last few weeks and I have fed him flake. Considering him for the Pico. Maybe next month

• 2 weeks later...

Right then, so since my 5 Gallon is at work acting as a Quarantine tank I have been shopping around locally in the classifieds and adverts at LFS. I think that I may have found my home tank. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal and if there is anything that I might need to add/upgrade on this one, except for the heater and some form of lid. 

Aqua One 40 Tank (55litres/15ish gallons)

Cabinet

30W Aqua Knight LED Light

Light Bracket

Kent Nano Skimmer

Return Pump

The Mrs has seen and agreed to this in principle based on the ridiculous price (£65 collection in person).

Might have enough left to start putting towards and RODI unit

upload_2019-5-19_19-3-47.jpeg

upload_2019-5-19_19-0-2.jpeg

upload_2019-5-19_19-0-44.jpeg

upload_2019-5-19_19-1-34.jpeg

upload_2019-5-19_19-2-27.jpeg

• Like 3
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

How many tanks does this make it? Four?😂

Including Freshwater and Brackish..... 10

Most are under 5 Gallons though so they don't really count do they?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I don’t count anything under 10 gallons an actual tank😂

It’s considered a bowl

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

10??  How many total gallons?  I'm actually struggling with my 3 tiny tanks.  I may need to consolidate soon.  LOL.  

Nice find on that that Aqua One set-up.  Looking forward to seeing it wet.

• Like 1

Total capacity less than 50 Gallons

Ok i'll go through them lol

1.5G Baby Brine Shrimp Factory

1.5G MTS Snail Factory

2.5G Contest Pico

2.5G Betta Pico (former back up pico - Added my Blind Betta Kojin)

5G Quarantine Tank (Benny)

7.5G Natural Sunlight Planted Pea Puffer Tank 

7.5G Cube Betta and Corydora Tank (1 Male Betta, 8 Corydoras)

10G Long Divided Betta Tank (3 Males)

10G Long Divided Betta Tank (3 Females)

.......and the 15G Home Tank if i pick it up, will visit and water test this weekend with a view to picking it up the following weekend (puts me to 65G)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

65 pounds isn't so bad for what you are getting.

The stand is questionable because the tanks 4 corners do not look to be supported by the stand. I would definitely check that out in person because all 4 corners need to not overhang a tank stand.

The light has great reviews, there are users on here that really like it. 

Not sure about the skimmer but it's not necessary on a nano tank. I'd go with a hang on filter before a skimmer on a nano. It can be used as a refugium, house equipment, filter floss, and other media. 

In tank filters are so so and limit the user and take up valuable real estate in the tank.

• Thanks 1

The stand I'm eyeing up for my 7.5G Betta and Cory Cube. Should be able to fit my externals down there and looks to match the office furniture. I could then shuffle the tanks around instead of being surrounded lol. 

So for the price I've googled I'm getting tank at 50% RRP and everything else thrown in. I'm not sold on the skimmer either mainly because I dont understand why they're necessary (start timing how long it'll be before I regret saying that) or the API kit but great news on the light. Might see if I can take those two and make a cheeky offer. 

If not profit from skimmer can go to stocking or RODI unit.

13 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

The stand I'm eyeing up for my 7.5G Betta and Cory Cube. Should be able to fit my externals down there and looks to match the office furniture. I could then shuffle the tanks around instead of being surrounded lol. 

So for the price I've googled I'm getting tank at 50% RRP and everything else thrown in. I'm not sold on the skimmer either mainly because I dont understand why they're necessary (start timing how long it'll be before I regret saying that) or the API kit but great news on the light. Might see if I can take those two and make a cheeky offer. 

If not profit from skimmer can go to stocking or RODI unit.

Skimmers can be beneficial for some and not for others. There has been debates on their necessity for yrs.

On big tanks, it's more likely a need because you have a lot more fish which means more food and waste.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2019 at 11:47 PM, Tamberav said:

Curved corner tanks are more prone to randomly cracking....and a pain to clean. Wouldn't be for me.

I really like the curved corner tanks, have used them for Freshwater for years without issue, however this one was indeed cracked (or deeply scratched) went from roughly 1/3 from bottom to the top of the tank, tiny hairline crack. So no go on that one sadly. 

7 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I've had two curved tanks crack on me within a year. I think a regular tank is more sturdy and less likely to be an issue. Easier to clean too. 

Curved corner or bowfront curve?

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Curved corner or bowfront curve?

Curved corner. Many years ago, I had another curved corner crack as well. The cracks always seem to occur on the side panels. In the case of my 10G nano reef around 1+ year ago, the left panel cracked then collapsed completely without warning. I got a 20G curved-corner as an emergency tank to transfer my livestock when the 10G cracked, and within less than a year, it begin to sport a crack on the right panel. A hairline one that was slowly angling downwards as the weeks moved on. I didn't wait for it to collapse - I ordered a new tank (my present 60G cube) with thicker 1" glass to minimize the chances of this from happening again.

Just be careful. If you see a crack (or can feel it with your fingertips), don't wait for your tank to collapse like I did - switch tanks immediately. Better yet, have a spare bin or tank lying around to transfer your livestock just in case your tank breaks. (Not trying to scare you, but this has happened to me several times, so I might as well warn you too). 

• Thanks 1