Cultivated Reef

Melfy77's super duper janky old school pico reef tank

Melfy77

Last minute entry !!!

I have a 30g FO which I really enjoy but missing the idea of a small tiny reef  🙂

when I saw the contest I decided it was the perfect occasion!! Decided to keep it budget friendly, and decided it was ok for the tank to look janky (That's the idea isn't it 😉 )

Equipment 

-seapora 2.5g tank 12x6x8(15$)

-pawfly air pump with air stone (8$)

-marina s10 HOB filter (already have it)

-aqueon all glass lid (5$)

-1×14W T-8 Powerglo fluorescent (already have the fixture, just missing the light 

-3 lbs of LR (free from a fellow reefer)

-25W heater uniclife (already have it)

- about 1 1/2 lbs of aragonite sand from my FO tank

Not entirely sure what I'm gonna do with it but was thinking some mushrooms, rics and zoas. Maybe a RFA with cool shrimp and crab. 

20190424_153817.jpg

20190427_135341.jpg

20190428_114308.jpg

20190427_213145.jpg

20190427_212607.jpg

• Like 5

Tank is wet!! Got some LR in there from a fellow feeder. Simple scape which should allow me to glue mushrooms and zoas 

Found a flora glow in the basement. Not the right spectrum at all but it'll do until I get the power glo

Stopped by the fish store and got 2 fish for the pico: a blue hippo tang and a occy clownfish!!!!...............

Did I worry some of you ?! 😁 sorry couldn't resist when I saw this and my 5 year old thought it was cute!

They shouldn't get too big ! 😉

20190430_090944.jpg

20190430_091059.jpg

20190430_091052.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well of course nothing ever goes as planned in saltwater tanks lol. I had to rehome my 2 tiny yellow watchman (3/4 inch I'd say), as they were always hiding and were being chased by my sailfin blenny...couldn't get the Candy cane pistol though.

The LR came from a well established tank and I added an extra piece so there shouldn't be an ammonia spike. I'll test.

They will obviously outgrow the tank but I do have an extra tank somewhere. Or I might put them back in the tank when they're bigger and stand a chance against Miss Blenny lol.

20190502_200610.jpg

• Like 3

Well well here's a good one. Found an old small box on my balcony which was supposed to be garbage and thrown away. But then winter came and box disappeared under snow. Snow finally melted and box reappeared. Garbage box contained a Kessil spectral controller and gooseneck...Plugged the controller in and guess wait: it works !!!! It survived the -40 celsius weather, snow and rain for 7 months!!! I had a A80 but sold it when I moved...feeling stupid now because I could've used that light. They're expensive unless I get a used one. And I'm canada and for some reason finding used kessil at a good price is hard...unless I get a new light for my 30g FO...I dont know lol help meeeee !!!🤔

Also, all this winter stuff reminds me I haven't started watching the final season of Game of thrones 🙄

• Like 1

Wow, Nemo and Dory must be really small.  They look tiny in your tiny tank.  Normally aquarium decorations look massive in a 2.5gal.

I like the black seams of your tank.

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Wow, Nemo and Dory must be really small.  They look tiny in your tiny tank.  Normally aquarium decorations look massive in a 2.5gal.

I like the black seams of your tank.

Thanks 🙂

yeah that decoration is about 1 1/2 inch long. You can see how tiny my yellow watchman gobies are 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay so monthly update...my janky pico reef tank is now a....QT for my now former 30g CUC...I just had a massive ich wipe out. Lost my pink skunk clowfish and sailfin blenny 😞 the only fish that is still alive is my Valentini puffer, and pretty sure the only reason why he's still alive and well is because I transfered him in my IM 25g lagoon 2 days before the outbreak. He's a slow fish and was barely able to get food because the clownfish were eating everything, no matter how much food I put in the tank. They were even stealing food from the puffer's mouth!!!

Still watching him closely but so far he seems ok...so I emptied the 30g tank and put my CUC and shrimp in the pico. They will stay there for at least 70 days to make sure no ich remains. The 30g has been moved to my girls's room and will get wet again, and will kinda look like Finding Nemo's tank. However this time I will have a QT tank, and only buy from my LFS (went somewhere for one time so pretty sure that's where the issue came from). The LFS I usually go to always QT his fish for couple of weeks. 

Pretty boring update I know lol. And of course here's a pic!

20190519_214951.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Sorry about your fish losses.  However, the cleaner looks at home in there.

Yup...queen shrimp is ruling her kingdom lol

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry about the fish. What did you do with the rock and the watchman goby the were in the 2.5? I hope you are you able to continue in the contest?

The 2 gobies are now happily living together in my IM lagoon 25 with my puffer. 😁 and as I was cleaning the dead tank, sure enough I found the candy cane pistol shrimp (which I knew was very much alive based on the noise lol). It's now in the pico as well and will go in the lagoon when the QT is over! I'm not giving up the contest, just ajusting my expectations lol

• Like 2

So sorry for the loss of your fish. It truly sucks when we loose our fishy friends.

Glad to hear you are sticking with the contest. 

A lot of us are going through some hiccups, so you are not alone😊

looks like the shrimp is happy in his new home.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things get back on track for ya!

Yeah I'm focusing on my IM lagoon 25😁

• Like 3