SaltCritters.com

Par meter??

FISHnChix

So I have been contemplating buying a par meter. Problem is they are so darn expensive.. looked into renting one but I kinda want to keep one long term.. any suggestions on a cheaper one ?? Looking at getting a apogee sensor and hooking it up to a multimeter to check par.. thoughts?? @jedimasterben @Reefkid88 @DaveFason seems like you men are into leds any thoughts on par meters🤔

jedimasterben

If you have an accurate multimeter, then it's a good option. If you aren't sure about your multimeter or don't have one, then I would suggest getting a decent one and then also getting a calibrated voltage reference to check it against. My multimeter that I use is no longer available, but find one that is 20000 count (which will get you five digits) and then this is the voltage reference that I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z033Y6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Best bet is to look into your local reef club and see if you can borrow somebodies.

Unfortunately there aren't any reef coins around me... wish there was would really like to go to a frag swap

41 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

If you have an accurate multimeter, then it's a good option. If you aren't sure about your multimeter or don't have one, then I would suggest getting a decent one and then also getting a calibrated voltage reference to check it against. My multimeter that I use is no longer available, but find one that is 20000 count (which will get you five digits) and then this is the voltage reference that I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z033Y6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So that was the reason I was looking into this route . I own a small electrical company that specializes in automation/instrumentation so I have a handful of good meters that get calibrated and recertified semi annually,  so I should be good there. Now on the sensor part how do you feel about this sensor... yea or nan??  Or is there a better option for around 200 bucks?? And I dont need something super accurate +/- 30 par is fine with me..

https://www.rapidled.com/apogee-sq-120-quantum-sensor/

jedimasterben

Their accuracy is fine for hobbyist use, it's only when needing that slightly higher accuracy do the higher dollar sensors become necessary.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, xthunt said:

Any Facebook groups around you to join?

There is a couple but no real activity on them.. maybe one post every couple weeks.😥

• 2 weeks later...

You could also rent one for 30 bucks. It's not something you need to test often and maybe not more than once if you dial the lights in and don't plan on changing.

Thrassian Atoll
58 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You could also rent one for 30 bucks. It's not something you need to test often and maybe not more than once if you dial the lights in and don't plan on changing.

I believe it’s BRS that rents them?

8 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I believe it’s BRS that rents them?

Yes, a few other places as well. I rented mine from Nextlight although I don't see the water one available atm... someone might have rented it out. It was 30 bux for 30 days. 

• 2 weeks later...
nanoreeFan

With the three wires coming out of the sensor, where does the third wire hook up to on the multimeter being just POS and NEG terminals? Thanks

15 minutes ago, nanoreeFan said:

With the three wires coming out of the sensor, where does the third wire hook up to on the multimeter being just POS and NEG terminals? Thanks

The third wire is called a "shield" wire. It doesnt  hook up to anything in this application... with out getting too deep into electricity if there was a bunch of wires from other power sources or instruments all running in a  conduit or wrapped around each other it could create noise (interference) on the electrical signal.. you would then have to find a good ground source to land the shield wire on.. grounding the sheild wire would cancel put the noise ...😎

• Haha 1
righttirefire
28 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

The third wire is called a "shield" wire. It doesnt  hook up to anything in this application... with out getting too deep into electricity if there was a bunch of wires from other power sources or instruments all running in a  conduit or wrapped around each other it could create noise (interference) on the electrical signal.. you would then have to find a good ground source to land the shield wire on.. grounding the sheild wire would cancel put the noise ...😎

You make my heart flutter!

Good information. 

Did you obtain the results you desired?

1 hour ago, righttirefire said:

You make my heart flutter!

Good information. 

Did you obtain the results you desired?

Yep figured out I didnt have shit for par and am currently ramping up my lights 🤣

• Like 1
righttirefire

I run my nanobox pretty low. Like 120s and 45 white on a storm controller. So I'm assuming I run lowish light.

Bring that contraption up here

• 1 month later...