Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tom's Lagoon

TomsReef23

Hi everyone,

My name is Tom.

I just started a reef tank this past weekend. I would like to share and document this journey with everyone.
please feel free to leave me any feedback or comments, i'll try to keep this as up to date as possible. 

Tank/Accessories

• Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon.
  • Tunze 9001 Skimmer
  • Aqua Illuminations Hydra 52HD 
  • HMS Single Mounting Arm Kit
  • Maxspect Gyre xf130

Start Date: April 27, 2019:

Picked up some Sand and a Skimmer that I saw many others using for the IM25 lagoon.

spacer.png

Picked up an LED light and an Arm for the tank:

- Hydra 52 HD + Mounting Arm

z8BEXHXHI9bKPt2O6Hhfd_PvwWfcV_rmG6QWcHTD

Getting the tank Wet:

fZUXV293tPeLrK3qHQAuz7m0S1ZjzxlxvPBTugqs

April 28th, 2019

Cleared up the next day so I put a few snails and a couple of easy to keep corals in.

EUpmf9N21BuQzKRxda1LTTItXWOq6i96CqCcnobs

To be continued............. please feel free to leave any comments. Enjoy!

*please  note,  all photos are taken  from my smartphone, apologize for the lack of quality*

• Like 1
Kellie in CA

Is it ok for the corners to be unsupported like that?  I had an issue with my Lagoon where I could slide a credit card between the stand and tank just barely on the front corners and IM was concerned, but the leveling mat eventually evened out and corrected the issue.  I'm no engineer, just concerned for you.   

2 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

Is it ok for the corners to be unsupported like that?  I had an issue with my Lagoon where I could slide a credit card between the stand and tank just barely on the front corners and IM was concerned, but the leveling mat eventually evened out and corrected the issue.  I'm no engineer, just concerned for you.   

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for your concern and good question i am not sure either to be honest. The stand under is square but has rounded edges, both the sides and back and front of the tanks are all supported. I placed the tank right on the edge of the front of the glass so now the front 2 corners are slightly sticking out but both sides are fully supported. It should be ok as the tank is only a 25G. But again I am not engineer either, i will keep a close eye on it over time. Thanks for the headsup!  Cheers, Tom

a tank should definitely be supported on the corners. if i were tom, i'd drain the tank while its still new, and find an appropriate stand as soon as possible. 

31 minutes ago, dvs1986 said:

a tank should definitely be supported on the corners. if i were tom, i'd drain the tank while its still new, and find an appropriate stand as soon as possible. 

I can slide the tank back a bit on the stand, there is a lot of room left behind it.

I just wanted to push the front of the glass to align with edge of the stand. 😅

TomsReef23

After a couple of days the corals seem to be pretty happy.

Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

wH3lbHMyvwNi8bLRlVPcAibGYX8Zp4xBi0Plrqr9

Copper Hammer Frag?

lVsAb56mAH_61M7_l1-m-KWJ-aJJOhZJRBXlGw_9

Going to be adding in some more live stock this weekend.

• Like 2
Tom@HaslettMI

Hi Tom!

Beautiful reef. I agree with others that the stand is not appropriate and if not corrected you’ll have 25 gallons of reef on your floor. 

I would also caution moving too fast with adding livestock.  After one day the tank can’t have fully cycled. 

TomsReef23
20 hours ago, Tom@HaslettMI said:

Hi Tom!

Beautiful reef. I agree with others that the stand is not appropriate and if not corrected you’ll have 25 gallons of reef on your floor. 

I would also caution moving too fast with adding livestock.  After one day the tank can’t have fully cycled. 

Hi Tom,

Thanks! I have adjusted the tank and provided it with some support. Unfortunately I added 3 fish in already last night.  *oops*

Checked for nitrates and nitrites and was undetectable or very lose to 0. 

I did use live rock from a friends established tank, as well  as as the water. Before I did my first water change.

TomsReef23

May 3rd, Added my first fish:

Domino Clownfish

Flurry Clownfish

They seem to be getting along already.

OKxmqHHe6qTxEoU9QEs9AzuvFeQopfrZsIOkLhrM

IOc7DNK1tA21-4r3xaDG6TF7BtOJf_r7pliL2N6T

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
TomsReef23

May 12th:

Added a few new corals to the tank.

Orange Plate Coral?

f7qU4vSBDTVUz8GCNP4aEarNKAUC4AQ0oGHlAtpP

Hammer Corals:

0hkPryCBkbK9ygPdkiBrr6VkrTKs_l2XtKZp8Y5D

Kryptonite Cane Canes?

UHs8ub-NZcm48oBL8KJbhyodGp1cVlwP9Dn-THim

SPS? probably won't survive.... since the tank is only 2-3 weeks old now.

MUGSlxt-laa17CsKz4O60rA0pquM6Ng1RJWYFhLm

May 2019 - Full Tank Shot - The diatoms and algae bloom cycle seems to be coming in now.

UE1wLEz3SvDUsFpVL_wJ1J_lA4fJn78mt_TL6D5h

TomsReef23
9 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

Great looking tank but.....SLOW DOWN. Let things settle in and get established before adding so much so fast. 

Thanks, mentally preparing myself for the tank crash.  😱

pricewayne

Love the lagoon tanks and the pieces you've added! 

Phewwww, though... am feeling some kinda anxious for you on the fast stocking! I'm still new to the hobby, but I'd suspect there will be some major swings as the tank cycles + added bio loads. May want to test... like, every day lol. Lots of coral livestock can't handle those swings -- I know anemones are typically recommended after 6 months (PS, watch out for the intake filter and intake vents on your powerhead... they shred fast, easy and will kill everything in the tank if it happens and isn't addressed v v quickly).

🤞🤞🤞