ReefCleaners.org

Is a skimmer needed on a nano tank? (Fluval Evo)

Isaacthedev

Isaacthedev

Many people are saying the Fluval EVo does not need a skimmer. The issue is without a skimmer you are limited to what you can dose, ex(you can’t use Red Sea N03-P04X), so is anyone without a skimmer dosing these products?!

Don't NEED to run a skimmer on a nano tank. Small, consistent water changes will be more beneficial, especially in the first year or so of the setup I've found. And a tank that small, with your water change schedule it may even eliminate the need to dose (depending on what your keeping in it).

I'm not too familiar with the EVo tanks but I believe inTank makes media baskets for them. I'd spend the money on one of those rather than a skimmer. 

I don’t use a skimmer on mine which has been running for almost 2 years. I do weekly water changes and everything is doing good so far. I did have some issues but that was because of the boxed salt water I was using from petco, stay away from that stuff... I now mix my own using aquavitro salinity. The only thing I dose is prodibio nano kit