Cultivated Reef

Pairing Yellow Clown Gobies!

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Hello!

So, I've got a 5.5 gallon macro tank I'm starting up, and one of the two stocking options I'm considering is a pair of yellow clown gobies. I've read from multiple sources that these fish pair much like clownfish do - the more dominant one will become female, and the smaller one will become male, and they'll bond and stop being aggressive towards another.

However, I'm also aware that some people have experienced clown gobies picking on eachother quite a bit, often to the point of death. I personally suspect it's something similar to what clowns do - just establishing dominance. But, clown gobies often come into our aquariums so extremely malnourished and sickly that they might not be able to handle those squabbles. That's just my theory, anyway.

If I was to order two from the same source, should I maybe QT them separately (but where they can see eachother) and get them both into good health before introducing them? Hopefully that way they can be strong enough to survive the pairing process. Or am I completely wrong on my theory?

Thanks!

Snow_Phoenix

QT them together. I bought mine as a pair of gobies, but they weren't *paired up. I let time do its magic, and although the larger one is more dominant, I haven't seen any aggression from either fish. Here they were, during their very first day in my QT when I brought them home:

20190419_144104.thumb.jpg.5ad3d8a42320134adb64cf893238fb49.jpg

20190419_144114.thumb.jpg.49170c5369f7050f5a0bed3c8ddf78f6.jpg

Get two that are at a healthy weight and already eating, and with vibrant coloring if possible. The chances of them adapting and surviving will be much higher. 

• Like 1