Pod Your Reef

Coral growth?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m just wondering how long it’s supposed to take to see coral growth within the frags I own. I have 2 acans that I have had for about 3 months, I haven’t noticed anything yet. I have a kryptonite trumpet that has had 2 mouths for about 2 weeks, still hasn’t split, I’ve had him for about 2 weeks. I have a zebra mushroom that came with a second baby when I got it on the same plug, it has not split yet, but I have noticed some growth between both mushrooms, as in size. I got a frag of nirvana zoas 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t noticed any growth at all yet. Im just mainly wondering if this is normal or not?

26 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m just wondering how long it’s supposed to take to see coral growth within the frags I own. I have 2 acans that I have had for about 3 months, I haven’t noticed anything yet. I have a kryptonite trumpet that has had 2 mouths for about 2 weeks, still hasn’t split, I’ve had him for about 2 weeks. I have a zebra mushroom that came with a second baby when I got it on the same plug, it has not split yet, but I have noticed some growth between both mushrooms, as in size. I got a frag of nirvana zoas 2 weeks ago and I still haven’t noticed any growth at all yet. Im just mainly wondering if this is normal or not?

Its normal. 😊

• Like 1

You can't compare growth in your tank to others - every tank is different. I have 11 different acan/micro frags and colonies in my tank, some of which have been there damn near a decade and they all grow at wildly different rates due to different stresses on them throughout the years.

I have one micro that went from 7 heads to about 80 in 4 years and one acan that went from 3 heads to 9 in just 2 months and colored up an astonishing amount. Yet I also have one acan that went from 6 heads down to 3 over the last 5 years and my very large bowerbankii hasn't spawned a single new head in probably 3 years now after adding on 8 heads over the previous 2 years even thought it grew about 50% in size and being fed every other week - and boy can it eat.

How fast they initially grow is mostly due to the previous tank they were in and how stressful the move was.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, jservedio said:

You can't compare growth in your tank to others - every tank is different. I have 11 different acan/micro frags and colonies in my tank, some of which have been there damn near a decade and they all grow at wildly different rates due to different stresses on them throughout the years.

I have one micro that went from 7 heads to about 80 in 4 years and one acan that went from 3 heads to 9 in just 2 months and colored up an astonishing amount. Yet I also have one acan that went from 6 heads down to 3 over the last 5 years and my very large bowerbankii hasn't spawned a single new head in probably 3 years now after adding on 8 heads over the previous 2 years even thought it grew about 50% in size and being fed every other week - and boy can it eat.

How fast they initially grow is mostly due to the previous tank they were in and how stressful the move was.

Oh ok thanks, I didn’t know this.

We also have very little to base our opinions on unless you give us more info about the tank.  Usually this means relevant test results and at least one good tank pic that shows the coral and major tank hardware.