This is starting to spread.

its attaching to rock and substrate.

the last 2 photo shows a wavy hair like algae, it’s a darker brownish red

12B13407-855B-4D55-B920-4EFFBF7FA11D.jpeg

65451C28-1D94-461B-A056-7ABBD018F5C3.jpeg

2B3B48C1-D7D0-40E2-855F-EF3D84F1CCE1.jpeg

image.jpg

Welcome to NR! 😊

looks like cyanobacteria. How’s your flow in there?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Staticmoves said:

Flow directions

image.jpg

image.jpg

The tank looks good so far. 😊

maybe try pointing the powerhead head at the glass to bounce around the flow a bit. Cyano tends to appear is areas of lesser flow at first.  It can also be indicative of too many nutrients.  What is your feeding regimen? 

• Like 1

The major limiting factors for cyanobacterial growth are phosphate and iron. Iron is difficult to test for and hard to diagnose unless there's some obvious source of it in your system (e.g. rusting parts, fragments of corroded metal in your sandbed, etc.), but phos is another story. If you have a test kit for phosphate I would start by testing both your tank and your makeup water. Organic contaminants in RO water are a common source of excess phosphate.

In the meantime, more flow in general couldn't hurt, and a dedicated sand-sifter (maybe a small conch of some sort) would be a great asset as well if you can get one.

• Like 1

By the way, your aquascape is super cool with the double caves that run all the way through. I like the overall setup of your tank quite a lot! Is it positioned in such a way that you can see through both caves from either side, or is the back side up against a wall?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Staticmoves said:

If it’s Cyanobacteria, looks like there are some reef safe medication options to get it under control

I never use chemical solutions to basic problems like cyano. Address the cause of the cyano and it will go away.  

• Like 1
Staticmoves
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

The tank looks good so far. 😊

maybe try pointing the powerhead head at the glass to bounce around the flow a bit. Cyano tends to appear is areas of lesser flow at first.  It can also be indicative of too many nutrients.  What is your feeding regimen? 

Once per evening, tropical marine power garlic formula pellets.

i have started to reduce feeding to every other day, to see if it makes a difference.

i also feed frozen Mysis shrimp once a week

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Staticmoves said:

Once per evening, tropical marine power garlic formula pellets.

i have started to reduce feeding to every other day, to see if it makes a difference.

i also feed frozen Mysis shrimp once a week

Cyano is typically a light, flow, nutrient imbalance.  Remove that tiny patch when you do your maintenance. A patch here and there is no big deal but if it starts to show up everywhere then you will need to get more aggressive.  

Staticmoves

Ok, so I picked up some ultra life red slime remover.

i won’t use it unless things get out of hand.

im going to reduce feeding amounts.

any where there is red slime, it’s hairs are waving in the current, the way I have the tank setup it appears to my novice eye, as though flow is good around the reef.  All corals indicate flow as well.

image.jpg

Staticmoves

Light is stock (9 hrs on last three hours is blue only)

filter is stock ( carbon changed monthly, media and sponge rinsed in change water weekly)

PS2 skimmer (pulling good skim dark yellow)

Water source is LFS ( Big Als ) RODI

Maybe try cutting the feeding first, then a blackout as a second alternative? Both at once seems like an awful sudden set of large changes.

If you see it getting noticeably worse by the day then maybe proceed with the blackout though. Cyano definitely seems to die back quickly when the lights go off.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Maybe try cutting the feeding first, then a blackout as a second alternative? Both at once seems like an awful sudden set of large changes.

If you see it getting noticeably worse by the day then maybe proceed with the blackout though. Cyano definitely seems to die back quickly when the lights go off.

I agree.

I would cut the white light down. A few adjustments to light, flow and food should do the trick.  

Staticmoves

So I decided not to use the red slime treatment and looks like it’s not spreading 

at the same rate.

reduced feeding and set timer to shuts lights off for three hours during the day.

dropped by LFS today and found a nice small branching Duncan.

last photo it has opened up nicely.

3543BB54-198D-439B-949D-5E689DE53A0B.jpeg

1185982C-F7EF-443E-BA5D-5892E53615EE.jpeg

8C372304-1937-481F-B4C8-CA652BE4F81E.jpeg

MrObscura

Why did you ask for advice regarding chemical and then ignore it?

The only time chems should be used is last resort to buy some time. Your case wasn't bad and It's probably just going to come back anyway . Chemicals are just a band did. 

Plus a little Cyano occasionally is all but unavoidable. I'd say increased flow in your case would be enough to keep it in check. 

Staticmoves

Where did I ignore any advice.

i picked up some red slime product in the event it got out of control.

i did not use it.

i adjusted my flow, reduced feeding a bit, and all has been better thus far.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Staticmoves

So the red slime seems to be all but gone.

just a little in bottom right corner, and no new growth that I can see.

🙂

i did a day and a half lights out. And the following two days half the day blue light, then second half white blue.

using more controlled spot feeding techniques for coral feeding.

ps2 skimmer working well.

not much algae in the tank as well.

cuc has to work a little harder for it now.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...