SaltCritters.com

Corlline alagae bleeching?? Help😐

FISHnChix

So kinda weird I was looking at the tank this morning and noticed that some of the purple corlline started turning white.. anyone ever seen this or know what's going on??

Tank params have been stable for months , and no lighting changes,  same 10 gallon wc every two weeks on a 55 gallon set up

Ca, 430

Alk 9.0

Mg 1300

Nitrates ~3

Phos. Zero and it's always been zero . I'm trying to raise that a bit

20190427_101809.jpg

12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Mine does that too... following along 🙂

At least I'm not alone on this lol..  happy Saturday bana🤗

9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just curious, using which test kit?

I use red sea for alk , nitrate,  cal. Salfert for mag and phos. I use the low range kit for phosphate... not sure if phosphate is actually zero but test indicates that it is and I havent had really any nasty alage.. I mean I have to scrape the glass once a week but that's it ...

Tanks pretty new only about 7 months in at this point.  

So looking at my notes from the first of the year I guess my levels aren't that stable lol.. anyways here is that info.(if you can make sense of my jargon 😂)

Screenshot_20190427-130519_Memo.jpg

Screenshot_20190427-130527_Memo.jpg

Screenshot_20190427-130536_Memo.jpg

4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So looking at my notes from the first of the year I guess my levels aren't that stable lol.. anyways here is that info.(if you can make sense of my jargon 😂)

Screenshot_20190427-130519_Memo.jpg

Screenshot_20190427-130527_Memo.jpg

Screenshot_20190427-130536_Memo.jpg

Its usually a calcium issue or lighting. Is it happening uniformly throughout the reef?

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Its usually a calcium issue or lighting. Is it happening uniformly throughout the reef?

Yep pretty much .  It's happening on the left and right and top and bottom of all of my rocks🤔

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Yep pretty much .  It's happening on the left and right and top and bottom of all of my rocks🤔

And it’s dying and not being eaten? (Looks like dying from the pic but just wanted to be sure.)

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

And it’s dying and not being eaten? (Looks like dying from the pic but just wanted to be sure.)

Shoot I dunno... what would eat corrline??? Is there a way to tell the difference between eaten and dieing?

46 minutes ago, Naekuh said:

some family of asterina starfish

Hmmm. I do have quite a bit of those and I have seen them eat this red bubble alagae I used to have.🤔

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Shoot I dunno... what would eat corrline??? Is there a way to tell the difference between eaten and dieing?

Urchins and Asterina Starfish to start.  

Try to get a close up pic of one of the patches.  

Any lighting adjustments lately?

14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Urchins and Asterina Starfish to start.  

Try to get a close up pic of one of the patches.  

Any lighting adjustments lately?

No lighting changes.. but this morning I found a ton of little stars!!! Wonder if they are eating it?? Wanna know the best part? I used dry rock bc I didnt want hitch hikers..  I always thought those little stars where super cool so I added them from my biocube 😡

20190428_065733.jpg

20190428_065745.jpg

20190428_065751.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

20190428_070502.jpg

11 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

No lighting changes.. but this morning I found a ton of little stars!!! Wonder if they are eating it?? Wanna know the best part? I used dry rock bc I didnt want hitch hikers..  I always thought those little stars where super cool so I added them from my biocube 😡

20190428_065733.jpg

20190428_065745.jpg

20190428_065751.jpg

🙁 They are notorious coralline munchers. Mine died off on their own eventually...... but you could pick them out as you find them.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

🙁 They are notorious coralline munchers. Mine died off on their own eventually...... but you could pick them out as you find them.  

Yea I am going to pluck them as I see them.. I added about 4 to my tank and just at a quick glance I counted 20 then stopped .. they must reproduce quickly..

• Like 1
Just now, FISHnChix said:

Yea I am going to pluck them as I see them.. I added about 4 to my tank and just at a quick glance I counted 20 then stopped .. they must reproduce quickly..

Their population can explode and then die off just as fast. Cut back your feeding a bit and pluck them out on sight.  

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

I have a giant limpet who eats my coralline and he leaves behind the white part and I felt like I hit the jackpot when he started eating my GSP. Nice looking rocks!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I have a giant limpet who eats my coralline and he leaves behind the white part and I felt like I hit the jackpot when he started eating my GSP. Nice looking rocks!

Ha ... 

Thanks

10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Their population can explode and then die off just as fast. Cut back your feeding a bit and pluck them out on sight.  

Just daughter and I just played where's Waldo and plucked a TON of them.. and on feeding shoot I am tring to feed more to bring up my phosphate 🤣

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

I've almost always ran bare bottom tanks and experienced this a few times. It will come back again as the tank stabilizes.   

As in it started bleaching or had something munching on it??

tanacharison

It bleached on its own and always came back. Could have been a few different things that caused it for me but I always ignored it and eventually it recovered. 

• Like 2