Innovative Marine Aquariums

Painting my custom stand black

jlee

Hey all,

I'm going to be building a stand for a custom tank I'm having build and I've decided I want to paint it black instead of stain it. I'm just curious what kind of paint you guys used to hide the wood grain and get a nice, professional-looking coat on your stand. 

This is the look I'm going for

P8120117.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if the project is already done or not but thought I would respond anyways.  

My family used to own a fairly large scale (40,000 square foot) custom cabinet manufacturing facility so I have a decent amount of experience with wood and finishing.  

My initial thought is you are most concerned (and that may not really be the case) with hiding the wood grain, if you have not already purchased the wood, consider using maple wood or any least maple skins/veneers as this has the least noticeable grain pattern.  Oak is super strong and pine is cheap, but both can have (especially oak) a strong grain that is difficult to hide.  

Wood fill (for any deep or porous grain lines/marks) and extra coats of paint (with very patient sanding in between) will help as well.  

Good luck!

--Superdave 

• 1 month later...

You may also want to consider sanding it down or at least using a scuff pad depending on the factory finish. Alot of times cheaper furniture has a clear coat or is a thin veneer. If you just paint on top of it you dont get great adhesion and you can practically scrape the paint off with your fingernail - not the best for a cabinet that im assuming will get alot of use.

• 2 months later...

The used DSA stand I bought, cleaned entire cabinet with Murphy's Oil Soap. Removed the Doors. I used a pad sander on the outside bottom, filled some slight water damage in with wood filler. Thinned the first Coat of Shellac 50/50. Second coat 25/75, then two more coats of Shellac. I did a minimal amount of sanding after the third coat. I sanded cabinet and doors with fine sandpaper using Prepping Weapon sanding block. Used Fine 120, because I have the habit of over sanding. Tacked cabinet off with Mineral Spirits three times. Used two and a half cans of  Krylon Fusion paint on the outside and doors. Brush Painted inside with White Marine Spar Paint. I had a can left over and applied four coats, sanding first two with 220 grit. Third coat I used 000 Steel Wool. Fourth coat 0000 steel wool and Johnsons Yellow paste wax. I had a bear of a time with this paint drying due to high humidity. All non-Visible Horizontal surfaces got three coats of Gloss Black Brush on Spar Paint. Thankfully the high humidity went away. Purchased new hinges on Amazon, lost count on how many coats of spray out Lacquer I did on them. You can just see the wood grain on the outside which looks great. The door hinge to cabinet screws we're into the edge of the plywood. I drilled and installed Fluted wood dowels for better hold on the hinge single screw. The only thing I bought was the Krylon, hinges and Automotive Lacquer. Everything else was left overs, from other projects.