SaltCritters.com

Radions - OK without Reef Link? Advice Needed

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

Replacing current light...going with the Radion XR30 G4 (non pro).

Does anybody skip the Reef Link?  I hate to drop another 100 if it's something I dont necessarily need.

I do have a laptop.

WDYT?

also, switching from a Nanobox Duo to the Radion.  How careful do I need to be switching over?  Any advice on intensity to start with?  Any one else swap over to Radion?  How was your experience?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

Replacing current light...going with the Radion XR30 G4 (non pro).

Does anybody skip the Reef Link?  I hate to drop another 100 if it's something I dont necessarily need.

I do have a laptop.

WDYT?

also, switching from a Nanobox Duo to the Radion.  How careful do I need to be switching over?  Any advice on intensity to start with?  Any one else swap over to Radion?  How was your experience?

I went from T5s to a T5 hybrid with two xr15’s.  Im not one for gadgets but the Reef Link made things much easier. I also have two MP 40s so it’s nice to control all of my equipment on one device. It’s also easy to set your acclimation time and percentage. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I went from T5s to a T5 hybrid with two xr15’s.  Im not one for gadgets but the Reef Link made things much easier. I also have two MP 40s so it’s nice to control all of my equipment on one device. It’s also easy to set your acclimation time and percentage

I prefer the opposite actually - once everything is set up properly, I just leave it. When I got my lights, ReefLink wasn't available (the original XR30 Pro), I got them set up, acclimated the coral that was already in the tank, and it hasn't been touched in probably 5 years when I installed the wide angle lenses. The only pain without ReefLink (and this may have changed with newer firmware on the lights) is that they don't adjust for daylight savings unless I re-program them. However, my reef just doesn't observe daylight savings time.

Both my current MP10s have reeflink, and I've never once used it.

• Like 2
RustyRocket

Laptop alone is fine. Without a reef link if you want to reset the radion, it just means pulling out the laptop again, no biggie. 

I have never played with a nanobox, but I would warn caution with the Radions. They are strong...

If you dont have a PAR meter to test, set what you think you want, then set the acclimation to 6weeks and start with less than half of what your final levels, be real slow and observe your coral. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

Laptop alone is fine. Without a reef link if you want to reset the radion, it just means pulling out the laptop again, no biggie. 

I have never played with a nanobox, but I would warn caution with the Radions. They are strong...

If you dont have a PAR meter to test, set what you think you want, then set the acclimation to 6weeks and start with less than half of what your final levels, be real slow and observe your coral. 

I run 42% max (at 18k) even with the wide angle lenses and it 15" above the surface and I still occasionally bleach something, including SPS. They are absurdly powerful.

Beg, borrow, or steal a PAR meter - it's critical, especially if you don't have wide angle lenses or a diffuser.

• Like 1