SaltCritters.com

Pairing a yellow watchman goby with a shrimp

Hannahhhh

I just got a tiny yellow watchman goby, and I would like to pair him with a shrimp. I’m wondering if anyone has a suggestions on the specific species of shrimp. Additionally, my goby is TINY. He's likely to be way smaller than any shrimp I get, is this a problem? Have you guys had success pairing a goby with a larger shrimp? Does anyone have any suggestions on convincing the goby and the shrimp to pair up? 

Thanks!!

667E4DD9-85B8-491E-B32B-A83177348CB8.jpeg

• Like 1
portmanteaux

I would go for a small species of snapping shrimp. I have a YWG/pistol shrimp pairing and my goby is also very small. You may be surprised at how small some pistols are. 

Mine is paired with a tiger pistol shrimp and they are the best of friends. Really fun duo to watch! 

• Like 2

The Randall's shrimp are tiny as well. They are an attractive red and white and do not disrupt much of the bottom... Is it safe to assume your tank is not a bare bottom tank?

14 minutes ago, jambon said:

The Randall's shrimp are tiny as well. They are an attractive red and white and do not disrupt much of the bottom... Is it safe to assume your tank is not a bare bottom tank?

I grabbed a candy cane shrimp yesterday. 

Not bare bottom. I dropped him in the tank yesterday and he immediately dug under a rock and I haven’t seen him again. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

I grabbed a candy cane shrimp yesterday. 

Not bare bottom. I dropped him in the tank yesterday and he immediately dug under a rock and I haven’t seen him again. 

Sometimes they will disappear for awhile and then pop out one day to surprise you.  Also beware of any loose frags in the sand....... they like to steal stuff.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Sometimes they will disappear for awhile and then pop out one day to surprise you.  Also beware of any loose frags in the sand....... they like to steal stuff.  

He’s so tiny, I didn’t even think about him stealing big stuff! I will make sure my stuff is all locked down lol. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Hannahhhh said:

He’s so tiny, I didn’t even think about him stealing big stuff! I will make sure my stuff is all locked down lol. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...