Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wonderboy's UGFuge 2.5G Pico

Wonderboy

3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I have a bunch of seeds, if you want a pack just throw post and a few quarters at me and you can have a bundle.
I keep peppers as bushes, not annuals, so I have one big tree I overwinter pretending to be a christmas ornament.
Hot peppers are insane producers, I had a cayenne which produced so many fruit we had to hang them from every window on fishing line to dry, no clue why we bothered as it was impossible to even give away all the darn things lol... Delicious though, I went with a specific variety of cap chinese for its' resemblance to the flavor of a habenero actually, this particular shrub has a remarkably smokey-sweet flavor without ANY of the heat haha, an odd tomato taste is really the only thing which otherwise sets it apart from the smokey, off-fruity cherry-taste of a proper habenero.

Two-year old parent bush. I sold the excess seeds from fruit I couldn't get around to eating on ebay last year, not a huge fan as I've no way to follow-up and ensure they sprouted and did well... Think I might sprout a few dozen and sell those this year if I get lucky enough.

IMG_20190715_200046.jpg

I would love to try and out some of those seeds! I'm very intrigued by the flavor; it sounds very different and useful. Thank you! It would be so nice to be able to "overwinter" things outside - it gets quite crowded in the arizona room come first frost over here lol    :]

49 minutes ago, Wingy said:

You could add a cool mist humidifier.  I have to run one most of the winter 

I was running a large one when I first moved into the place I'm at now - it worked great   :] 

I had intentions to put a float for RODI into it, but never got around to it. I stopped running it eventually because I didn't get the house's RODI lines installed by the time that I got tired of manually filling it lol, oh and I guess I convinced myself that I had set up enough aquariums instead hahaha (averaging about 2 per room over here...) The oncidiums bloom so I know that the house is holding on to some moisture; this house is cooled by EVAP coolers during the warm months, too, so that helps out a lot. I may get the humidifier plumbed up finally though, just for the extra umph.

I finally got that video onto the internet - just a momment........

I don't even remember when I took this, but it feels like a long long time ago. So, I feel like I need to make a new one - not to mention I have changed the feeding routine slightly since. A lot of it is just the damsel picking at reef roids from the column, so I added music to keep it exciting =D  lol  ...watch out for the volume:

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

There's that video! Your brittle star never fails to impress me. What's the deal with those weird nodules on its arms? What a bizarre creature.

Super cool orchids too! They are very beautiful.

• Thanks 1
On 7/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, billygoat said:

There's that video! Your brittle star never fails to impress me. What's the deal with those weird nodules on its arms? What a bizarre creature.

Super cool orchids too! They are very beautiful.

Thank you! Seriously, brittle stars remind me of those crazy human-collecting machines in War of the World lol. I have no idea what those nodules are for - they are semi-transparent, flexible-ish - If I had to guess, I would go with maybe an organ for breathing, like a "gill".

On 7/16/2019 at 7:15 AM, Amphrites said:

Oh man that's a ton of food lol, must be one fat and happy brittle, the damsel will probably be a balloon in no time too XD

Yeah, we'll see how long he still can fit in here   :]   Probably not much more than a handful of months... I have been thinking about what to do at that point; maybe trade for another damsel? I like watching the interaction between Jaws Jr and Twitch when they're not food-oriented. That damsel-bat-its-tail-in-the-goby's-face-and-then-get-chased-by-the-goby routine is really amusing haha     -I will try to film-

• Like 2

Would definitely like to see it, and the springers really don't get very big (or much more territorial) at all, hopefully you don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, Amphrites said:

Would definitely like to see it, and the springers really don't get very big (or much more territorial) at all, hopefully you don't have to worry about it.

Yeah, I have always wanted one of those, too, I think the markings are great - I will be keeping an eye out for a tiny one or a few (for another tank).

-------

Update today:

This morning, I noticed the anemone had decided to go on a stroll - it pissed off a bunch of zoas and had a battle with the duncan; now, they both seem pretty pissed. The anemone moved into a dark corner of the tank and just shrunk there. The duncan's top side got cooked, but looks recoverable. I decided that, until I get a light that can better convince anemones to stay put, I would take the time to remove the little PITA, I mean BTA. Since I was going to have to remove the rock to do this, I figured I would "dip" the duncan.

This is when things became less simple; in a crazy nutshell: removed the light and top, propped the RODI float, drained 1G of system water into the large holding bowl, added 1G fresh mixed SW to holding bowl, removed DT rock, accidentally knocked off a hollywood stunner frag -the one that hadn't gotten lost in the calcite previously-, placed the rock and loose frag into holding bowl, added 1G fresh mixed SW to pico, carefully peeled anemone off of glass into measuring jar -set aside-, grabbed super glue, grabbed the rock, knocked off another frag that you guys didn't hear about yet (birdsnest), glued hollywood stunner and birdsnest back on, scooped and poured some holding water over the entire rock directing run-off into waste bin, placed the rock back in holding, prepared CoralRx "dip" solution with more holding water, grabbed the rock, knocked off a 3rd frag - montipora (did't get to share that yet either...), grabbed the glue, glued the montipora, scooped and poured holding water over all corals into waste bin, poured CoralRx solution over duncan birdsnest hollywood stunner and montipora directing run-off away from the bulk of the rock into waste bin, waited 30 seconds, rinsed the entire rock with holding water over the waste bin, repeat "dip"-wait-rinse 3 more times, put the rock back into holding, drain the pico 1/2 G, ushered the brittle and CUC to the right side of the pico, put the rock back in, topped-off the pico w/SW from 10G system, unpropped the RODI float, put the top and light back into place.

I moved the BTA to the 10G afterwards; it's looking much better already. It ate some mysis. The other guy though:

IMG_2995.thumb.jpg.e6afc3fbcef31e8181c4a66d9040adc7.jpg

Here's the birdsnest before something else happens:

IMG_2997.thumb.jpg.571638178c7751db3b42be156f02957d.jpg

And another one, testing if it can reach out from here:

IMG_2971.thumb.jpg.50bdbb16c8665520953afd07f5e4d874.jpg

Here's a montipora flake, the one I knocked off is bigger and not open anymore:

IMG_2969.thumb.jpg.f29ffc338b1ed22809f600a33f904d74.jpg

I have some photos of things going on in the rearfuge, too - looks like there's some bryopsis in the rubble - planning to upload those shots and an FTS tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Refilled and refined rations for multiple systems last night - I don't usually end up doing multiple systems at once, but I had fun - portions are for everyday (hold off if algae blooms - decrease increments next refill). Included sys-specific portions of mysis, spirulina brine, plankton, SFBB Emerald Entree, Kent Zoe, Zoecon, garlic, reef roids, and live phyto:

IMG_3008.thumb.jpg.55d79c80e35326f8fe69dbbd97582949.jpg

They go into the freezer, then into larger jars for quick grab, thaw, feeding:

IMG_3009.thumb.jpg.c2beece1924842b1219d195ed70325cf.jpg

Please ignore the pot-pie; it really has no idea what these containers were once for.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Behind the DT:

The gracilaria got flushed off the pump sponge from refilling water, but it's still in there in places, still growing well:

IMG_3016.thumb.jpg.a9bd1511073c1831804186e4b4053a2b.jpg

I added two pieces of holey rubble on top of the "DSB" collection cup because I put more amphipods in here:

IMG_2959.thumb.jpg.1685ce5c8920d728f2fe1b0cda23d27f.jpg

More hair algae took a hold of the baffle - I'm not worried about it though - here's what could be bryopsis in the rubble (2 views):

IMG_3013.thumb.jpg.bc6758513a3a333cfe2719940b107d32.jpg

IMG_3010.thumb.jpg.61d31ade352c7eb6b3619a8ee09bae15.jpg

I feel it's either bryopsis or cladophoropsis. Either way, I have been strangely thinking of leaving it and working with it; wondering if anyone has a second opinion about this or what it is?

Cyano is taking off in low light/flow areas right now - but check out the reddish/purpley macro algae on the sediment:

IMG_2975.thumb.jpg.e1895991feb6d683c1ae22b80462663c.jpg

This stuff is starting to spread pretty quick, in both low and high light - here's some in a little measuring jar to see it better:

IMG_2979.thumb.jpg.79d292882b9c33411058ba2700a59f85.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I have been extra busy recenty - QT treatments, surprise fry, and more...

Updates!

The duncan recovered - it looks normalish again; the BTA is fat and happy cruising the glass in coral QT

922788488_IMG_3031(1).thumb.jpg.6967a3e8f7790295fb9e2020e770dcfc.jpg

2 days ago, I removed the xenia because it needs more light - it's also in coral QT - planning on using it for another project

Nothing is growing very fast though and the mushrooms are beginning to shift positions - so I decided that I am going to uprade the light asap

I noticed that the brittle star has been losing its wierd little paddles slowly - not sure what this is about; it eats plenty mysis - I've added shaved krill to each prepared serving for this system in response; daily portions are about 5 ml total mixed frozen in the morning and New Life Spectrum pellets sparingly every few evenings.

Today, I added a specimen container full of Ecosystem Aquarium 'Miracle Mud' to the rearfuge because I had aquired some for my 10G and 68G, so I figured why not put some in my other setups. It barely fit back there though:

IMG_3086.thumb.jpg.e037ca6201944ce9cfda9aa0e783ef0f.jpg

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.a2657d2007f046fc66c01567e5ceaaa4.jpg

It's contained with multiple nylon screens and the "straw" is 1/4" line down through a vinegar cap sitting on bunched-up nylon screen to let this stuff breathe a little.

Here's hopefully not too many 'fuge action shots from right before adding the mud:

IMG_3071.thumb.jpg.c63aef3138cd5d9d2e892748ac16146f.jpg

IMG_3081.thumb.jpg.1dc0061abd88c380bab1022d97f277b7.jpg

IMG_3078.thumb.jpg.9f1bd9067a135c508b90b8595deab18b.jpg

IMG_3070.thumb.jpg.cf51a4b3aba1762aa537f18f20f018ae.jpg

IMG_3079.thumb.jpg.07a7aaf2a873fa0a8a8cff3c5b6ffa49.jpg

IMG_3073.thumb.jpg.893c27dcb336165956b528d0eb004fdc.jpg

I am pretty sure that is bryopsis in the rubble of the refugium. It's growing off of the baffle, too now. I am still just going to let it happen; risky, but I have been keeping a special algae weapon in hidding for this DT in QT - I added him yesterday:

IMG_3066.thumb.jpg.7666e197d450ca1bb62641483c11b371.jpg

Sally light foot crab - his official name: Mr. Sally

I also added the feather duster from the same QT while I was at it (it's not a large one, hard to photo):

IMG_3091.thumb.jpg.1d189e31a4ec496fcbcedc9df25b85c3.jpg

While putting the duster into its suggested spot, I damaged and knocked the sector 001 off the rock - oops. It's glued on in a new spot and not happy right now - I think it will recover slowly though.

Then this happened today (this is the same baby hammer that I had put in my stacking pico):

IMG_3092.thumb.jpg.f715cd34f0e421b7d7a1d851363b1574.jpg

It's kind of just laying there still on a plug - testing how it likes it in here...

FTS tomorrow    :]

• Like 6

IMG-1391.thumb.JPG.5ce1d5acd76270ac2ea4339fe6640916.JPG

IMG-1393.thumb.JPG.7375d23d82f420ab9a890ef492b94156.JPG

IMG-1395.thumb.JPG.59a6313c7ff4ca38c2c231190f74ed4f.JPG

IMG-1392.thumb.jpg.6de84057dc0089cb1feba2dee9b36615.jpg

Everything is doing okay - though many zoas are shrinking, the GSP has been meh looking, and the gorgs have been pissed for a little bit now - light upgrade asap. Not sure about the hammer; if it stays, I'm going to have to rearrange a couple things. Mr. Sally is awesome - he was always in hiding in QT because, well, there's a splendid dottyback in there; I thought he would just hug the back of the rock when I put him in here, but, so far, he's been viewable most often and picks at the calcite and the rock regardless of movement outside the pico. He holds his own well and bats at Twitch with his legs whenever he gets too close - things seem to be working out well so far  :]

• Like 6
On 8/1/2019 at 11:14 PM, Wonderboy said:

IMG-1391.thumb.JPG.5ce1d5acd76270ac2ea4339fe6640916.JPG

IMG-1393.thumb.JPG.7375d23d82f420ab9a890ef492b94156.JPG

IMG-1395.thumb.JPG.59a6313c7ff4ca38c2c231190f74ed4f.JPG

IMG-1392.thumb.jpg.6de84057dc0089cb1feba2dee9b36615.jpg

Everything is doing okay - though many zoas are shrinking, the GSP has been meh looking, and the gorgs have been pissed for a little bit now - light upgrade asap. Not sure about the hammer; if it stays, I'm going to have to rearrange a couple things. Mr. Sally is awesome - he was always in hiding in QT because, well, there's a splendid dottyback in there; I thought he would just hug the back of the rock when I put him in here, but, so far, he's been viewable most often and picks at the calcite and the rock regardless of movement outside the pico. He holds his own well and bats at Twitch with his legs whenever he gets too close - things seem to be working out well so far  :]

Don't know about you but they are looking nice to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMG-1404.thumb.JPG.4fddaf423c3a3f352bdaa9ffbfec2027.JPG

IMG-1405.thumb.JPG.368ab17409eefd71ec0c30c8ce036581.JPG

IMG-1406.thumb.JPG.caddb58c5b83c3d7baaf16555a65b93d.JPG

Nothing too new

All inhabitants seem to be doing okay

The lower birdsnest didn't make it - it was a stretch anyways - I will try again when there's better light

It's been 11 days since the last WC - planning to do one as soon as salt shows up and I can mix it

I don't think the hammer is staying in here - I've seen it happier (prefers better light/flow)

I'd like to increase the flow in the DT, so I'm on the lookout for a small, not-too-noticeable option

Feeding routine is the same - but I want to add fish eggs and LRS Reef Frenzy

I don't think I mentioned anywhere that my SW aquariums get some pod fodder and are dosed with Aqua Vitro Fuel each friday

Not making many significant changes until I have upgraded the light.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, Wonderboy said:

That damsel-bat-its-tail-in-the-goby's-face-and-then-get-chased-by-the-goby routine is really amusing haha     -I will try to film-

I don't think I'll ever get this - everytime the lens or eyeballs move within sight of these fish, both of their dispositions drastically change. Twitch dashes back and forth towards me as if he's a surgeon fish trying to slash me, and Jaws Jr becomes horribly anxious - such so that it seems he just can't miss a single chance to clean you regardless of him never before succeeding through glass. I would probably have to leave something sitting there so they got used to it's "eye"... 

• Like 4

I added a new light to my 10G, so I took the LED from it and put it over this pico until I can figure a real solution. Goodbye old school strip hood  :[

IMG_3127.thumb.jpg.a22d061f2d083dcd19745f68748aa378.jpg

This is temporary still, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing things respond:

IMG_3128.thumb.jpg.8d3a2437b9855fab7a69d5edef9fb4fc.jpg

Other updates:

Did a small WC last night; went 16 days from the last one

Mr. Sally molted. He seems to be almost twice as large now 😶

It's looking like the remaining birdsnest isn't going to make it

The gorgs haven't been doing too much - they have been waiting for more light also

I put the hammer back in the 10G - even with less extension than normal, it barely fit in here

Everything else in here is doing fine - just that, other than the inhabitants, nothing has grown very much if at all

Haven't had a lot of time to update this and other threads, but there are changes all over that I will try to catch up

I have been watching my gibberosas closely - recently had to catch fry form their display - and 2 more moms are holding

Also, I decided to give breeding berghia a try - just recently got that system up and running - wish me luck

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Also, I decided to give breeding berghia a try - just recently got that system up and running - wish me luck

Good luck!  I assume you're culturing aiptasia then too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you - yes; the system includes 4 buckets for the cycling of mechanical propogation (I've never done this - kind of winging it); really hoping that will be sufficient area in the end. I am thinking of starting a journal for it. Right now, it's culturing hair algae extra successfully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, I was thinking of mounting 2 e26 LED bulbs side by side over this pico because that hot spot was pretty bad. I still might go that route in the future, but because money has something to do with making that happen, I opted to come up with some form of supplemental light until then. I was contemplating options when I then noticed the wall fan behind the pico moving back and forth - this is what I did:

IMG_3142.thumb.jpg.1dc244b61752c55d5fc81ddb61ba5839.jpg

IMG_3141.thumb.jpg.08dd99bc3e37c0193fdd722bc620dd22.jpg

This is put together with stuff laying around. Ignore the damage to the wall - will prettify later. The pulley is connected to the oscillating fan with fishing line, twisty ties, a rubberband, some screw eyes, and two s-hooks.    =D     #rubegoldberg

I know, pictures weren't doing it for me either:

This modification may be semi-permanent because I've always liked the idea of light coming from as many directions as possible. I think I could maybe increase the wattage of the bulb later, too. The light's position above the tank is adjustable by s-hooking it to particular positions on the fan's screen - right now it is moving left to right quite symetrically. The fan is moving the bulb the entire DT light-shift except from 3-5PM - this is right after the warmer time of day in the house, I figured it would be interesting to allow the bulb to stop above a random spot each day to simulate a mid-sky sun. It could also increase tolerances if I up the wattage. If this light moving thing doesn't work out, there's still that two bulb option I mentioned earlier.

IMG_3143.thumb.jpg.ab844eb9f94af305d20a914500378613.jpg

That's a quick FTS from recently - corals have been responding well to the new LED (2 white, 2 blue, 1 red for now) - currently, the DT rock is out of the system on the work-bench again. I am removing fragments where coral withered away and adding some new stuff from my dirty little coral QT:

IMG_3140.thumb.jpg.132a084e1f7ac4aa76570e64c2f6fda6.jpg

I'm pretty excited to get things growing better in the pico finally with better light - first thing I did when I took the rock out was move the brittle star to my 10G reef's refugium - not sure why, but his spines were looking very disheveled - still alert, but I want to try to turn that development around. The feather duster had also nestled itself hidden behind the rock, so I un-anchored it so we can see where it goes this time. I thought about putting a BTA back in here, but that remained just a thought - maybe in the future. Also, there was a noticeable difference in the flow coming out of the HOB, so I pulled the intake... hmmmm:

IMG_3146.thumb.jpg.78e85638267733fc4dd647a8d7c702e2.jpg

Removed whatever this stuff was that had become lodged in the tube, near the propeller, and now it's running strong again.

I will be putting the rock back in shortly - shots of inhabitants and additions tomorrow     :]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

I just got done telling someone that this wasn't worth it you damn mad genius, I freaking love it XD

Hahaha - Don't show them this thread I guess :happy: lol  

I have for a while really badly wanted to put a motorized light mover on one of my reefs and especially this one when I noticed that I could not raise the light further because of the wall. I was just very lucky in the ironic placement of everything, like that the system's position over-hangs the edge of the wall and that the fan was already up - I feel it was pretty much meant to happen. Trying to decide on the most appropriate light though - I really want this one over the .123G.

• Like 2

Quick update before dinner - didn't take the time to photo each addition but got some changes to note.

Added a slice of xenia back in here - it's looking much more content this time around.

Noticed more algae on the glass because of the light increase and reduction of CUC (brittle star) - I switched the feeding regimen to every other day alternating between new life spectrum pellets and prepared frozen. Added one more trochus - makes three total - and 7 baby stomatella syphoned from another system.

IMG_3160.thumb.jpg.e95be05ae27ede90272cd862957eaa35.jpg

IMG_3157.thumb.jpg.ed3478bf4de43d0fbc3a77be6d731996.jpg

IMG_3158.thumb.jpg.936778572f81a4996a82b0e222be9680.jpg

FTS (is difficult to capture with the light's new behaviour of being on one side or the other)...

IMG_3155.thumb.jpg.d479c3c23734e5b9cb55305a8da91327.jpg

Not going to scrape, feeding adjustment and CUC addition should do it - not seeing coralline very much yet

And to finish this post, some shots form the rearfuge - it's like past its surface of dead insects and algae, there's a whole 'nother world in here:

IMG_3153.thumb.jpg.c861c53a4f3a64c3fe2cb8db400a001c.jpg

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.b34a499dd24145b947c85dcd42ab5f5a.jpg

IMG_3149.thumb.jpg.8fa83ee9d902e8f4264cfa1ce121046a.jpg

IMG_3152.thumb.jpg.f447b389d05a47732dedbfda350d7e15.jpg

Going to pull the chaeto out that found its way back here, eventually:

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.60f86d71601e0159b390b41e621b788d.jpg

• Like 2

When I look at shots of that rearfugium, I feel like I am looking back billions of years into a more primitive time, when the ocean was a riot of simple life and the first multicellular organisms were rising out of the primordial murk. It's amazing! There's so much growing back there! As an aquarist I never thought I would be jealous of a box of decaying insects and slime algae but I absolutely am! 😂

• Haha 1

It really does have that 'but-what-is-thaaat' appeal to it - similar to finding enjoyment from watching an anemone shift its jelly mass so that it can throw its stomach out onto its meal. It's the simple things.   :]

• Like 1