Top Shelf Aquatics

Noob Scolymia Care Questions

Jon-Paul

So I just purchased a scolymia for my pico and after bringing it home (30m drive) I gave it a 5 minute dip in some Coral RX Pro and tossed it in the tank. Immediately after tossing him in he bunched up and got all bumpy. His feeders kinda came out but then went back in. But he also developed this weird white film all over the top of him. It looks like little balls of glue? I assume it is just stressed but after investing a couple of hundred I'd like to know for sure!

IMG_0031.thumb.JPG.fcb5867eda61d5696bb511c131d2c1e1.JPG

He is in a bare bottom tank and I was told that should be okay. I was wondering if I should propagate it so that he sits on an angle as opposed to just letting it sit horizontal?

Plan is to feed it a blend of mysis and reef roids.

He is on the far corner of the aquarium, towards the front and slightly shadowed by rock structure.

The scoly is in a 3 gallon picotope with an ac70 fuge and some pretty low led lighting. Im keeping acans very succesfully in a similar position in the tank.

Thanks!

Did some research on this and it seems it is mesenterial filaments. It's about 3 hours later and they are still out. Will check in the morning and see what they're up to.

Don't propogate/cut it. I'd leave it alone for a couple days. I've never had a new coral that didn't close up when I put it inside my tanks, it's all normal.

Also from the pic it doesn't look like it has much room. They can expand a bit so give it some more room to stretch out.

Maybe propogate was the wrong word. I meant position.

I believe he was just a little stressed. Last night when I got home from work at 3am and my place had been in complete darkness I hit him with some light and saw he had his feeders out, so I took the opportunity to feed him. Probably going to grab some LPS pellets to help supplement. I checked this morning and he had no leftover food sitting on him, so it would appear that the flow is good, or he was hungry.

Could I glue/putty him to some of my rockwork? Obviously not his tissue but, his hard structure on his bottom.

FlytheWMark

Two things... 1) leave it alone for a while.  Mine took several weeks before it really started to look good.  2) It looks to be in a really tight spot in that tank.  The need a little room to breath.

Your positioning should be good, I have mine very similar (bottom right of my picture).  The one think I've found is that they like a bit cooler temps.  I had mine in my 10 gallon tank where the temp would get to 80 degrees and he was never fully extended.  I moved him to the 20 gallon which stays at a consistent 76 and he'd grown by about 50% in 4-5 months.

They are beautiful corals when doing well... it's my wife's favorite.

2019-04-18 20.54.12.jpg

• Like 1