Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anyone know what these are...its killing my stylo

Clown79

Yesterday I noticed a reddish slime on my stylo.

I took some of it and checked under microscope.

It moves fast but I got an image.

I have no clue what it is but its killing my stylo.

That's in 24hrs.

20190423_183734.jpg

20190423_183731.jpg

20190423_184548.jpg

20190424_175800.jpg

• Sad 2

Almost looks like cyanobacteria "red slime algae" in the pic of the Stylophora. No idea what it would look like under a microscope though

It's the oddest thing. This coral was looking great and growing.

Yesterday I noticed a white patch and some weird slimy stuff on it.

Someone has let me know that they are phillaster parasite.

I removed the coral, not much left to it.

I can find no more under microscope since removing the coral.

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It's the oddest thing. This coral was looking great and growing.

Yesterday I noticed a white patch and some weird slimy stuff on it.

Someone has let me know that they are phillaster parasite.

I removed the coral, not much left to it.

I can find no more under microscope since removing the coral.

Very weird, I hope thats the last you see of that!

I have no idea. Apparently when a coral is stressed or injured these come in quickly with sps.

My coral may have been stressed due to the dino's my tank just had.

So are they just ever present in the water column? 

Makes me wonder if a UV sterilizer would kill them? 

I don’t often hear much about UV sterilization on our small systems. 

A Little Blue
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have no idea. Apparently when a coral is stressed or injured these come in quickly with sps.

My coral may have been stressed due to the dino's my tank just had.

If I had to take a wild guess, that would be it. Dinos can be stressful to some corals. 

Interestingly, it is the more robust corals that you wouldn’t suspect that show symptoms of stress. I don’t know if it was caused by treatment that was dealing with Dinos,  some die off triggered bacterial bloom or something else? I have seen it and it almost killed grape monticaps. 

Strangely, it attacked 3 larger mini-colonies (different parts of the tank) at the same time and the same rate. I suspected pests (nudis) but since non of my other montis show those symptoms, I conclude that it had to be either a bacterial infection or side-effect of Dino treatment. Colonies are recovering now but I think 2/3 of them were gone in a matter of days. I have stopped dino treatment and increased some nutrient input and that seemed to help. At least I think it did since tissue loss stopped and it didn’t spread to other corals. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:34 AM, A Little Blue said:

If I had to take a wild guess, that would be it. Dinos can be stressful to some corals. 

Interestingly, it is the more robust corals that you wouldn’t suspect that show symptoms of stress. I don’t know if it was caused by treatment that was dealing with Dinos,  some die off triggered bacterial bloom or something else? I have seen it and it almost killed grape monticaps. 

Strangely, it attacked 3 larger mini-colonies (different parts of the tank) at the same time and the same rate. I suspected pests (nudis) but since non of my other montis show those symptoms, I conclude that it had to be either a bacterial infection or side-effect of Dino treatment. Colonies are recovering now but I think 2/3 of them were gone in a matter of days. I have stopped dino treatment and increased some nutrient input and that seemed to help. At least I think it did since tissue loss stopped and it didn’t spread to other corals. 

I didn't do any treatments for dino, it was all very natural method.

Just added pods and did no waterchanges. Basically added biodiversity and increased nutrients.

From what I have read, these parasites are being believed to be the reason we actually get rtn.

• Like 1