NLarson801

NLarson801 IM Fusion Pro 20

NLarson801

This whole journey started a few months ago when our Betta we had owned for a couple years passed away. I started looking into better tanks for a new Betta and next thing you know I am obsessing over nano reef setups.   I originally wanted a Fluval 13.5 setup, but finally decided to go a little bigger and pulled the trigger on the IM Fusion 20 setup. 

The tank showed up a couple of days ago and my sand the same day. The next day I went to my LFS and walked out with 20 lbs of live rock and 20 gallons of salt water. When I got home I proceeded to arrange the rock as close as I had done in the LFS and then followed with sand and water. I kinda like the scape I went with, but I am curious to see if some people think it is too much rock. 

I will be picking up an AI Prime HD in the next couple of weeks once I get paid again. 😛

Scape layout

177B703E-04BB-4B65-ACA8-EFC8065EDC77.thumb.jpeg.a9d444f55c96a3ae44762af48348947f.jpeg

Rock in the tank.

69E1567C-12A5-47B2-9C9D-570037FB62DE.thumb.jpeg.df12b5f1b7071313a329be29fb58310b.jpeg

Added water and it was pretty cloudy, it had cleared up by this morning though.

8134766F-385C-469A-B41D-B7CAA7BFD8C9.thumb.jpeg.21777a207440504f2497513548109c9c.jpeg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
23 minutes ago, NLarson801 said:

This whole journey started a few months ago when our Betta we had owned for a couple years passed away. I started looking into better tanks for a new Betta and next thing you know I am obsessing over nano reef setups.   I originally wanted a Fluval 13.5 setup, but finally decided to go a little bigger and pulled the trigger on the IM Fusion 20 setup. 

The tank showed up a couple of days ago and my sand the same day. The next day I went to my LFS and walked out with 20 lbs of live rock and 20 gallons of salt water. When I got home I proceeded to arrange the rock as close as I had done in the LFS and then followed with sand and water. I kinda like the scape I went with, but I am curious to see if some people think it is too much rock. 

I will be picking up an AI Prime HD in the next couple of weeks once I get paid again. 😛

Scape layout

177B703E-04BB-4B65-ACA8-EFC8065EDC77.thumb.jpeg.a9d444f55c96a3ae44762af48348947f.jpeg

Rock in the tank.

69E1567C-12A5-47B2-9C9D-570037FB62DE.thumb.jpeg.df12b5f1b7071313a329be29fb58310b.jpeg

Added water and it was pretty cloudy, it had cleared up by this morning though.

8134766F-385C-469A-B41D-B7CAA7BFD8C9.thumb.jpeg.21777a207440504f2497513548109c9c.jpeg

Welcome to NR! 😊 I like the scape. 

• Like 1

Christopher Marks

Welcome to the community @NLarson801! 👋

Congrats on your new nano reef setup, you're going to love the Innovative Marine Fusion 20. Since the tank is fairly shallow, I think you might want to reduce some of the rock or change the aquascape to a layout that also sits shallower in the tank. Consider where you might mount coral frags and be sure to leave enough room for their future growth. Breaking up one of the rocks into rubble might help give you more options too, maybe the left or the center piece?

• Like 1

Tigahboy

LOL.  From betta tank to IM Fusion 20.  That definitely escalated quickly.  Welcome to NR!  Looking forward to seeing this develop.

• Like 1

NLarson801

Here is a shot with the tank cleared out and using a flashlight for a light. I think I might re-arrange the rock so it’s not so tall. 

AF3D4BF1-F166-461D-91B5-86AAB37002E8.jpeg

• Like 1

NLarson801

I was looking around my tank today and saw a couple of these hanging out of one of my rocks.  Is it a remnant of something that used to live there, or is it something that might grow out of the hole?  

DSC_2956.jpg

DSC_2964.jpg

• Like 1

NLarson801

So I started my cycle last Tuesday, almost a week ago and I have been testing my ammonia levels every other day. It has been between 0 and .25 up until today. Today it looks pretty much 0. I know these API tests haven’t been known to be super accurate, but I would expect something to show up. I am thinking I might just take some water to the LFS and get it tested. 

E9D087A9-8797-49DB-8EFF-91059D3E9EC6.jpeg

NLarson801

Also, this morning I took a temperature reading with my digital kitchen meat thermometer and it said the water was 81 degrees so I dialed the Eheim thermostat down a few degrees.

NLarson801

It's been over two weeks now and I still have little to no Ammonia.  Is that a problem?  I have a single Aiptasia, so I know the water isn't too bad.  =]

SliceGolfer

Maybe I missed it. What ammonia source are you using to start the cycle? Piece of shrimp? Ghost feeding? Ammonium Chloride? Are you using any bacteria in a bottle like Dr Tim’s or Fritz Turbo 900?

NLarson801

Just the live rock and sand. That’s all people were saying I needed. 

SliceGolfer

You’ll need to introduce a source of ammonia to get the cycle going. Some use an uncooked shrimp from the grocery store, others ghost feed the tank as if fish were in it, where others use Dr Tim’s ammonium chloride in conjunction with bottled bacteria. 

Here’s a good article that covers these three options: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start

• Like 1

NLarson801

It's been a while since I have updated.  The tank is doing well, I started off with a basic CUC and added a Peppermint Shrimp as well to take care of the Aiptasia.  After a week or two I then introduced two clowns, one black and the other orange.  The fish seemed to be doing just fine and all my parameters were in check so I picked up my first corals.  One LFS told me I needed to wait a minimum of 6 months to put anything in, but I did it anyway.  I picked up a Blasto, War Coral, Hammer, Emerald Crab, and Lawnmower Blenny.  All have been doing well for a couple months now although I have not seen much growth so it is a little sad seeing my tank with only 3 small frags in it. 

About 3 weeks ago my GF talked me into getting a Starfish because it was "cute".  I should have done more research before picking it up as about a week later it started losing one of it's legs.  I don't know if one of my fish or my emerald crab was eating it, or if it was just "dying" but a few days later the arm completely fell off and it did not look good.  I got rid of it before the decomp could harm the rest of the tank.

This weekend I think I will try to pick up another coral or two to help spice up the tank.  Instead of slow growing corals I want to get something that will be a little quicker, but still easy to take care of.  What does everyone suggest?  I read and article that recommended shrooms, leathers, and zoas.  Anything else I should look for?

Another question is, my Clown's basically hang out in the back corner of my tank and don't really venture out.  I'm assuming it is because they don't really have anything to host in?  I have a friend that said he has some RBTA's and he would give me one.  I don't know that my tank is mature enough for one yet though.  What else will they host that I could place up front so the fish aren't so scarce?  My Blenny seems to hide a lot as well, I am hoping he becomes less shy and swims around cleaning the sand.  He pretty much sticks to the rocks and tries to get algae from them.