Pod Your Reef

New Tank Plans

knox_legend

knox_legend

Well it’s been many years since I’ve posted here and many years now since I’ve had a tank. The time is now right to start another tank after many years away from a hobby I truly enjoy. So here are my plans so far and if anyone has any suggestions or tips please don’t hesitate to speak up. I’m planning on not super high tech and am planning on running a AC 110 turned Refugium and water changes as I don’t have the budget for a skimmer at this time. I’d like to keep my budget to $1200 or less if possible. 

I have a 40 breeder along with a 20 long I’m 90% on setting up the 40 as the space I have the 20 just looks too small so I think the 40 will look better as it’ll take up more wall space. 

Stand: DIY for 40 with second shelf to set up the 20

Filtration: AC 110

Heater: standard heater

powerheads: Koralia for the time being

lighting and this is the most daunting: SB Reef 18” WiFi 

50 pounds rock

30 pounds or so Fiji pink sand

I’m planning a mixed reef with, zoas, acan, monti, frogspawn, mushrooms, maybe a mini maxi anemone on down the line. 

Livestock standard cuc, maybe a pair of clowns but mostly just small peaceful fish as I’m mainly after corals. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, knox_legend said:

Well it’s been many years since I’ve posted here and many years now since I’ve had a tank. The time is now right to start another tank after many years away from a hobby I truly enjoy. So here are my plans so far and if anyone has any suggestions or tips please don’t hesitate to speak up. I’m planning on not super high tech and am planning on running a AC 110 turned Refugium and water changes as I don’t have the budget for a skimmer at this time. I’d like to keep my budget to $1200 or less if possible. 

I have a 40 breeder along with a 20 long I’m 90% on setting up the 40 as the space I have the 20 just looks too small so I think the 40 will look better as it’ll take up more wall space. 

Stand: DIY for 40 with second shelf to set up the 20

Filtration: AC 110

Heater: standard heater

powerheads: Koralia for the time being

lighting and this is the most daunting: SB Reef 18” WiFi 

50 pounds rock

30 pounds or so Fiji pink sand

I’m planning a mixed reef with, zoas, acan, monti, frogspawn, mushrooms, maybe a mini maxi anemone on down the line. 

Livestock standard cuc, maybe a pair of clowns but mostly just small peaceful fish as I’m mainly after corals. 

Welcome back to the hobby. 😊