Coral Vue Hydros

fusion nuvo 40 startup questions

robbiedob84

robbiedob84

hey guys, first post on this site.  not at all new to the hobby but this will be my first reef so i still prolly will have a lot of noob questions.

equipment so far

I'm fusion nuvo 40

smart micro ato

mighty jet mid size (538 gph)

2 jebao rw4

AquaMaxx hob 1.5

phosban150 media reactor

ecotech marine xr30 

my first struggle is i bought the tunze protein skimmer second hand and it only fits in one of the outside chambers and im not thrilled about cutting out one of the filter socks, should i buy a hang on back skimmer instead and sell the tunze?

next is should i get rid of the filter socks and replace with media baskets or get carbon reactor and keep the socks?

i'll update with more questions as they come up but this is all that comes to mind at the moment.  Any other suggestions please, feel free.

thanks in advance for any input guys

robbiedob84

typically i don't run skimmers as i do 15% changes every 4-5 days, but i do sometimes leave my tank unattended for a few weeks as sometimes im outta town for work so it definitely would be nice to have one for those times imo, idk i guess the question was run dual baskets or keep the filter socks and run a dual reactor of carbon and gfo.  I've never used reactors before im assuming they're better than running baskets but tbh that's  a completely uneducated guess.

Kangster911

I just started IM Nuvo micro 30 (the cube one) which is very similar to your tank. I am following to see how you are building the tank and what livestock you are getting. Good luck and happy reefing!

robbiedob84

awesome, ill post pictures as it goes up.  just waiting to hear from the cabinet maker about my stand (should be any day now) then ill be getting started.  Interested in seeing what you do as well.

A Little Blue

For new tank this size, skimmer isn't really necessary. As your livestock increases as well as demand for more aggressive nutrient export, skimmer can be a useful tool. 

I do use it in my setup. And it pulls quite a bit of organics out of my tank, which helps a bit. 

It's possible to place skimmer in first chamber and make it work. I should know, I've done it. 

Filter socks are PITA in my opinion but that's just me.

There're many ways to utilize AIO tank designs. Pick what works for you and fits your maintenance regiment. 

Frequent water changes are great for any tank but if you are like some of us slackers, you'll need to figure out setup that will support that luxury and keep your reef tank thriving.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, robbiedob84 said:

i guess the question was run dual baskets or keep the filter socks and run a dual reactor of carbon and gfo.  I've never used reactors before im assuming they're better than running baskets but tbh that's  a completely uneducated guess.

Reactors are efficient, but I would probably utilize the AIO chambers using a media basket.  If the basket supports filter floss, you don't really need filter socks.

• Like 1

I loved how filter socks collect everything but the cleaning of them is a PITA, you have to have a few on hand for switching during the week.

I'd go media baskets with floss and carbon.

I don't use skimmers but my tanks are 25g and under.

robbiedob84

thanks guys, yeah i think im gonna roll with those and just pop in the tunze in the far right compartment whenever i go on vacation.  your 25 lagoon looks awesome btw.  Might have to steal a couple ideas from you 😁

• Like 1
robbiedob84

So I’m doing the leak test right now.  Should it concern me if there is a leak between the filter compartment and the display.  The website says if the part is not intended to be wet.

428114EF-9C75-4F0F-9125-0C8C6A9D5449.jpeg

While not designed to leak, a leak between the display into the back filter chambers isn't a problem.  It will function exactly as intended.

14 hours ago, robbiedob84 said:

The website says if the part is not intended to be wet.

That's weird, during normal operation, the filter chambers are filled with water.

robbiedob84

Alright guys, been a reeeeeaaal long time since I’ve cycled a tank since I’ve always kept the same sand, live rock and water.  When I started my cycle I was out of over half of my testing kit so I waited for about 8 days before replenishment arrived and I did my first test.  Everything was clear first test so I threw in one tester damsel and fed brine a couple times.  One week later and still nothing.  Everything is testing where it should be.  I started the tank with live sand and life rock.  Two weeks now and no sign of a cycle?  It’s not possible for my tank to have gone through the first part of the cycle in under eight days is it?

5 hours ago, robbiedob84 said:

Two weeks now and no sign of a cycle?

You mean no sign of ammonia.  No ammonia can be a sign of an established cycle.  Are you seeing any increase in nitrate? That would indicate that ammonia is being processed.

I started the tank with live sand and life rock.

If the live rock was already cured, you shouldn't see an ammonia spike.

fed brine a couple times.

You need to feed a more substantial food.  Brine shrimp are more like a treat than a staple food.  Frozen mysis are much better.  However, a good pellet and/or flake food would offer more nutrition.

• Like 2
robbiedob84

It’s life rock from caribsea actually, I have no experience with it.  I’m seeing nothing, no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.

Was the liferock dry?

It is injected with bacteria, maybe that's why you haven't seen a huge spike, it might he enough to convert the amount of ammonia produced with 1 fish.

Do you have nitrates?

3 hours ago, robbiedob84 said:

0 nitrites

0 nitrates

0 ammonia

roughly 8.0 ph

0 nitrates definitely is a sign of no cycle if its dry rock you used.

I have found api to be pretty accurate with ammonia, nitrates if 2 or lower reads as 0 but 2 and up it's been spot on with salifert.

robbiedob84

@Ratvan API i know its a cheap kit but i figured id at least get an idea, @Clown79might have to get a nitrate test from them, i know I've seen it at the lfs.  I put a light over the tank last night to see if diatoms would start to appear.  Wishful thinking i know.