Top Shelf Aquatics

Galaxea coral taking over!

zellified

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if you could give me some advice.  My Galaxea coral has all of a sudden grown very rapidly and I can't control it, it's sweeper tentacles are stinging my mushrooms and everything in sight.  It has grown on the main rock which is a large piece holding the structure in balance.  How would you go about controlling it?  Saw off chunks underwater?  It died off at one point then came back with a vengeance when I added the Ai prime HD LED fixture.  I honestly wish there was a safe way to trim it back like a plant but it's getting out of hand now.   Thank you so much for your time!

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

• Like 1

It's an LPS so you can't just peel it off - it's bound to the rock. You have to kill it back or chip it off. Kalk paste spread over it will kill it and leave the skeleton exposed (it'll keep re-encrusting over the same skeleton).

Another option is to put rubble in its way lightly glued down and when it encrusts over it, break the rubble off and toss it in the sun for a couple days and repeat (or sell).

If you take the rock out, you can use a chisel and break it off. It can be exposed to air while you are doing that.

• Like 1

Sweeper tentacles "go with the flow" so you can use that to control them.  Just rearrange your flow to be suitable.

I think I would try to sell the whole rock to somebody before I would attempt to break him up or remove him from the rock.

$0.02

beautiful colony, BTW!

• Like 2

Sell the rock...start with a small frag and this time keep it isolated.

The problem with trying to kill it off is poisoning your tank. Aggressive LPS like Galaxea are full of nasty biological warfare proteins, so be prepared for some massive water changes if you resort to nuke atempts.

• Like 1

wow another species i need to remember to keep on an island by itself...

i agree sell the rock and start over if you like the coral. 

Its a waste trying to kill half of it... 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you!  I'm thinking of selling it now, to someone with a larger tank who can appreciate it more. I've never sold a coral before so I have to look into it.  Thanks again everyone!