Cultivated Reef

Do I have a killer? Cleaner vs Emerald

Matteo

So I woke up this morning with my second cleaner shrimp death in the past two months. 

Yes, the second 😞 my water is crystal clear and clean. I don't have my thread build but I do have pictures to prove a thriving reef.

I have a suspicion it might be my Emerald Crab. I like the little dude a lot because I always see him cleaning up the tank but he would be the only culprit. 

Only other living things in the tank are a pair of clowns and a simple CUC. 

10 minutes ago, TILTON said:

Any changes or new corals recently?  

I added some frags from my trusty LFS, other than that was a rescaping but it was fine before and fine for about a week after. I also safely removed the livestock for the rescaping. Like mentioned it was eating and totally fine just a day ago. 

What pest are shrimp killers? If anything hitchhiked from the frags I guess? 

13 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

I added some frags from my trusty LFS, other than that was a rescaping but it was fine before and fine for about a week after. I also safely removed the livestock for the rescaping. Like mentioned it was eating and totally fine just a day ago. 

What pest are shrimp killers? If anything hitchhiked from the frags I guess? 

Hmmm Not sure buddy. Could be you got some that were old maybe? 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Hmmm Not sure buddy. Could be you got some that were old maybe? 🤷‍♂️

Nah they were smaller so Def. Younger 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I was more wondering if you had dipped any new corals recently.  I am pretty sure I killed a couple of shrimp from bayer dipping some frags on a previous setup.  

fishfreak0114

I feel like an emerald wouldn’t be fast enough to snag a cleaner. I’ve kept them together without issue. I’m not sure what else it could be though...only other thing I’ve had obviously kill shrimp is electricity

57 minutes ago, TILTON said:

I was more wondering if you had dipped any new corals recently.  I am pretty sure I killed a couple of shrimp from bayer dipping some frags on a previous setup.  

Nah. I kobe my frags into the tank 

• Haha 4
Thrassian Atoll
Just now, OverCookedRock said:

Nah. I kobe my frags into the tank 

You throw a ton up hoping a couple will go in?  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, TILTON said:

You throw a ton up hoping a couple will go in?  😂

True. I don't like Kobe. 

Okay could it be a mis dosing of calcium carbonate? I assumed it was pretty safe. @jedimasterbenyou know more about that stuff than I do 😅

jedimasterben

I don't know of any issues from it, from either CaCO3 directly or the KZ version. Do you ever use hydrogen peroxide? Lysmata shrimp are incredibly sensitive to it.

1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

I don't know of any issues from it, from either CaCO3 directly or the KZ version. Do you ever use hydrogen peroxide? Lysmata shrimp are incredibly sensitive to it.

No I learned that lesson a long time ago 😞

Well my tank looks kinda sad without white whiskers sticking out from the rock. 

I'll hold off for a bit and try again later. 

16 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

No I learned that lesson a long time ago 😞

Well my tank looks kinda sad without white whiskers sticking out from the rock. 

I'll hold off for a bit and try again later. 

Is it possible the rescape knocked up some crap from under the rocks and you had a little mini ammonia bump that took the shrimp with it?

7 hours ago, jservedio said:

Is it possible the rescape knocked up some crap from under the rocks and you had a little mini ammonia bump that took the shrimp with it?

That's very likely. I thought they were pretty hardy. Maybe not?